I should be honest and admit that nobody's DQ does much for me.  Accosta's version just seemed to make a silly ballet even sillier.  But, of course, I hadn't seen his Carmen then.....

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Sim said:

I thought The Wind was dire....it just didn't tell me the story effectively, there was no time for character development, and I didn't feel anything for any of them.  I thought Frankenstein was so bad that I am not going this time around, tweaks or no.  I quite liked DonQ and can't remember what is so bad in it that some people have taken against it.  All versions of this ballet are silly or exaggerated in one way or another, so I never take it seriously and just sit back and enjoy it for the sunny fluff that it is.  It is interesting to read what everyone likes or dislikes;  it shows how different we all are, and how art can never be subjective.  Et vive la difference!

Sim, I agree with what you say about The Wind, but there were reasons to enjoy:

Ed Watson's mesmerising Indian

The stage setting which brilliantly evoked the atmosphere of the mid-West

The drama of the storyline shown through some brilliant choreography

The music which resonated with and enhanced both the setting and the action in a way that the score for US failed to do

and, not least...

...it wasn't Twyla Tharp which is still the worst thing I've seen from RB.

4 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I should be honest and admit that nobody's DQ does much for me.  Accosta's version just seemed to make a silly ballet even sillier.  But, of course, I hadn't seen his Carmen then.....

I'm with you penelopesimpson, I can only ever manage one viewing of DQ every few years which then reminds me why I avoid it. 

However I do have tickets to see Kaneko / Corrales. Have loved Kaneko since seeing her in the world ballet day class video and her first Sugar Plum rehearsal with Kish. She just had that special something for me from the very start, and was unlucky to be out for over 2 years with serious knee injuries which slowed her rise! In fact I think that one of those injuries was during a DQ performance as Kitri so let's hope she has better luck this time round!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

and, not least...

...it wasn't Twyla Tharp which is still the worst thing I've seen from RB.

Really? It wasn't the best but I've seen far worse!

And I was very disappointed by The Wind, for which I had high hopes, most of which were sadly shattered.

• Like 3

Not even Ed Watson could rescue The Wind for me! And the Twyla Tharp was just as bad. I think the costumes, which is a bit of a misnomer, just about finished off the latter for me.

• Like 1

I totally agree about Kaneko Clara f I was so disappointed when she seemed to "disappear" and am delighted she is back.

I too have tickets for the Kaneko / Corrales Don Q and am going just the once .....it's one of those perhaps every other year ballets for me like Manon and Mayerling ( I know ....they are some people's favourites!!) but am very much looking forward to this particular combo.

I saw Osipova and Vasiliev when they were still with the Bolshoi and thought I'd never really see these roles bettered after that but will see!!  

• Like 1

When it comes to ballet and opera, the Olivier awards move in mysterious ways:

(I’m pleased about John Macfarlane’s nomination for Swan Lake, though.)

• Like 1

I can’t comment on the opera but an Olivier Award nomination for Unknown Soldier is, to put it politely, somewhat baffling. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, annamk said:

I can’t comment on the opera but an Olivier Award nomination for Unknown Soldier is, to put it politely, somewhat baffling. 

Every year there’s at least one mystifying choice.

Edited to add: by “mystifying”, I mean neither critics nor audiences liked it.

Edited by Lizbie1