• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, graemew said:

Passengers will include all casts and a music recording so we can be entertained day in and day out by the work. Now where do we hang that scrim?  Oh, you have changed your mind Sim? (I'm sure there will be many saying at this point that out in deep space is the best place for it, but the resulting depletion of RB personnel would be on a par with Cats. And no, we are not taking the tiger!)

NO!  I will stick by my principles (and Principals) despite the use of the scrim!!  I will suck it up, as they say.  Just call me Sim the Scrim.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Allen said:

Fonty - many thanks for the link to the NY Times review. It was great to be reminded just how perceptive and evocative a daily reviewer was Anna Kisselgoff. Also, what a triple bill - Scenes de Ballet, Gloria and Daphnis not to mention the glorious casting ... why don't we get triples like that anymore?

That was the question i asked when I read the review.  I was drooling as I took it all in.  

Now, regarding US, which I haven't seen, and probably won't get a chance to until it is shown again.  I was wondering, is part of the reason why some people don't like it too much because they are consciously or subconsciously comparing it with the MacMillan piece, which covers the same themes?  Most of us on here have presumably seen Gloria at some time or another, and speaking personally, it is one of my favourite MacMillan ballets, and I never fail to be moved by it.  A tough act to follow if someone else is covering the same ground, albeit in a different way.  

And Sim, I like Bradley Walsh.  I am sure you will find him a very entertaining companion in the Tardis, when Ms Nunez is having a well deserved rest. 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I was wondering  how the dancers and orchestra coordinate, so exactly,  the striking of that first  chord of music  with the girls' opening  move  (from  - I think-  5th position into croisé devant with arms in high third). My theory, looking at the NYBC DVD,  is that  the two girls in the front of the two groups can see the conductor and follow (with the orchestra) an indication from him/her to start the move off, with the other girls behind almost imperceptibly following on. Does this make sense? 

Anyone able to respond about this?

I’m afraid Unknown Soldier is a big “Huh?” from me - and I haven’t seen Gloria. Completely failed to connect emotionally for me. 

I wonder to what extent that is due to my being connected neither to the myth of WW1 - the Irish relationship with that war is complicated, despite up to 50,000 dead - nor to the myth of an afterlife.

I did learn that the afterlife is an Ancient Greek gymnasium though. 

• Like 1

Ha Colman am definitely not so optimistic about this ballet now as I was .....I think...I am non religious ...though can understand absolutely how extreme grief can lead you to truely want to believe in the afterlife ....And keep you connected to a loved one who you will see again at some point etc. 

I hope this is not going to be too sentimental..... as we all know now with the benefit of hindsight just how awful it really was in that war in particular. 

But I'm sure at the Insight it was supposed to be largely composed around the old lady Florence's and others memories.....so not necessarily a comment on the nitty gritty awfulness of war. 

20 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I hope this is not going to be too sentimental

I’m afraid I think you’ll need to bring the emotional charge with you. 

At least Infra (which I hadn’t seen and hadn’t read about) made sense, was more affecting and was technically interesting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sim said:

OK I have just looked up Bradley Walsh and I am none the wiser, although he looks vaguely familiar.  However, in deference to my fellow Time Travellers, I will be very happy to bar him from ever entering the Tardis!!  :)

He does tv quizzes (my niece was on one with him a few months back). He was a copper in th3 uk version Law & Order, which wasn’t bad. And of course is currently Dr Who companion to Jodie Whitaker

• Like 2

Infra and Symphony in C excellent, fabulous dancing, McGregor's challenging depiction of today's society, with Akane Takada's portrayal of alienation chilling, and then the elation of Symphony in C certainly lifting the spirits.  

I'm afraid I was underwhelmed by Unknown Soldier.  The Florence Billington and Harry Patch extracts didn't work for me.  With 'Harry Patch' cradling 'Ted Feltham' were we not invited to infer that Ted Feltham was whispering 'Mother' rather than 'Florence'?  But the ballet was very much Florence and Ted's love story.  I can't help wondering what Florence and Ted would have thought of this depiction of their story.

The design seemed over elaborate.  The projected images had too many fades, background stripes and rainbow colours - simple, clear film would have been preferable, with better sound, and fewer extracts.  The film of military funerals rather unfortunately included a close up of an officer blowing his nose.  The continual shifting of the scrim etc seemed unnecessary - far too much trickery getting in the way of what should have been a fitting tribute to the Unknown Soldier which ought to have made a real impact.

I'm afraid Florence/Ted bumping into each other was a bit hackneyed.  The village dance elements might have been better if more obviously drawn from 1914.  The programme refers to training on use of guns but I didn't really see much evidence of this.  Ted's leaving for France to his death seemed a couple of minutes at most and we didn't learn anything of his experiences.  I was surprised how little we saw of Florence's reaction to the news - there was more anticipation amongst the women than reaction.  And the telegraph boy ended up as one of the dead soldiers - had he been conscripted?

I found much of the choreography dull and the music similarly - so I suppose choreography and music were at least complementary.

A poor start but loved the other two works and a joy to see all the dancers in such contrasting ballets.

• Like 3

John S - your review of Unknown Soldier sums up so much of what I couldn't be bothered to write yesterday. The pas de deux between the two main characters could possibly have been affecting, but the shifting images of faces on the screens were so overwhelmingly distracting. As for the Harry Patch character, I have no idea when he appeared. Of the principal males on Thursday night I was only aware of Bracewell and eventually Sissens as the Telegraph Boy. I feel this was a ballet aimed to hold the attention of those with ADHD. Good choreography doesn't need so much constant distraction -  it speaks for itself. Meow. 

I went for the first time this evening and came away just so relieved that Symphony in C was as sublime as I thought it would be.  Unknown Soldier was OK - good idea, but would benefit from different music. I wasn't moved at all, even though I thought I should be. Nothing wrong with the dancing, it just didn't strike any emotional chord. 

Infra did strike emotional chords, but in the wrong way. Sorry, I hated it and even having read the synopsis, find the constant background of walking people supremely irritating. Actually, the whole thing was supremely irritating and I wish I had stayed in the bar and done some work.

The evening was redeemed by the marvellous, glorious SIC with the most sumptuous cast, all on form. It's a thing of sheer beauty and I wish I could bottle it.

I'm going next week to see the other casts: I'm wondering whether just to turn up for Act 3.  I know that's wrong but ...…….  

• Like 4

Jenny - I know it's wrong, and it will be a great shame to miss some extraordinarily beautiful dancers, but I am only turning up for Symphony in C next week - time is precious, and life is too short. 

6 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Infra did strike emotional chords, but in the wrong way. Sorry, I hated it and even having read the synopsis...

There's a synopsis for Infra?! It's an abstract work so should stand or fall on what we see.

• Like 1

Forgive me if the above comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, but I thought it worth noting that a synopsis for an abstract work isn’t a conflict of terms. In the absence of any plot or storyline, it can be useful to know the motivation behind the choreography. Listening to Wayne McGregor discussing Infra in the live rehearsal last week, a few observations of this ilk can offers a way into a work . 

• Like 2

Absolutely agree bridiem but you know Wayne's Notes are legendary. Is there a chance we won't be able to read them anyway in the new faint type? ( hopeful)

Symphony in C has been my favourite ballet from the first time I saw it. I had to miss performances last week because of ill-health- now my love for SoC is being tested because in order to see it I face one of those fairy tale quest journeys through a maze of ill health, transport problems, The Unknown Soldier -which I have not fancied since seeing the Insight and reviews here have more than confirmed those fears- Infra ...which I have seen several times and don't want to see again..and the new amphi bar.......not to mention the journey home.

(Thank goodness it's back next June with a better mix.)

I know one should keep an open mind so will try to give US a chance of course but all these devices of film etc- oh dear....it's all sounding a bit desperate..

• Like 1

I hope you make it, Mary! I'm sorry you've been ill.

About Infra - maybe I misunderstood 'synopsis' (which implies that something happens). Knowing about the choreographer's ideas when creating an abstract work may  be of interest but shouldn't be necessary in order to appreciate the work. I've no idea what Balanchine's thoughts were when he was creating Symphony in C; I'm just very glad that he created it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I've no idea what Balanchine's thoughts were when he was creating Symphony in C;

I imagine roughly the same as my seven year old  creating a sundae: “More raspberry syrup, more chocolate syrup, more meringue, more cherries, do we have any of that weird green syrup”.

• Like 2

I go to the ROH to see beautiful dancing by outstanding and amazing dancers and that's what I got out of the current Triple Bill. In "Unknown Soldier" I got to see the RB's most gorgeous stage couple (ok Nunez and Muntagirov are also glorious) and when Naghdi and Ball dance together all seems well in this world. Their pas de deux was so beautiful, so tender, full of passion and frankly all the rest didn't matter to me. "Unknown Soldier" made me pause and think and remember all the fallen ones, it had an effect on me and I appreciated all the hard work that must have gone into creating this ballet, from the beautiful costumes to the dancing. I enjoyed seeing the younger generation of dancers perform Infra, they certainly brought something fresh to it, it was less extreme compared to the original cast, there was a much welcome softness in their performance.  'Symphony in C' was simply a feast to the eyes with the stunning 1st cast Cuthbertson/Muntagirov/Nunez/Hirano/Takada/Cambell/Naghdi/Zuchetti.

I bought a ticket to see beautiful dancing and beautiful dancers and I got just that. 

• Like 16

There are only very few ballets from which I have got nothing or wanted to walk out of etc so I'd settle for a beautiful pas de deux in the middle of this new ballet.....feeling a little more hopeful!!

At the Insight there was a lot of talk around an individual soldiers story then blending into the background of "all the others" 

We never saw the "other dancers ( soldiers) of course ....only Matthew Balls part.

I wonder if the ballet is called Unknown Soldier from this point of view. 

They all had stories to tell but we get just a glimpse of one story against the background of all the Unknown stories.

I think a lot of people may have got telegrams because the soldier was known to be missing but remained unclaimed and Unknown on the battlefield.....heartbreaking. 

The tomb of the Unknown soldier was comforting to many apparently as many parents thought it just could be their son ....never actually found.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Sim said:

Whatever people may think about US, for me it is worth seeing if only to watch the rare beauty that is the Naghdi/Ball partnership.  

Agreed, Sim - with O'Sullivan and Bracewell more than holding their own in the alternative cast. Personally I find Unknown Soldier a moving piece which, as Xandra mentions, certainly makes you reflect on the huge loss of (young) life and the great heartache suffered by those left behind. The wonderful dancing and dramatic abilities of both main couples leave me very pleased to be seeing both casts again next week. Personally, I will never love Infra but can appreciate the amazing versatility of the dancers. Symphony in C is pure bliss!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sim said:

Whatever people may think about US, for me it is worth seeing if only to watch the rare beauty that is the Naghdi/Ball partnership.  

2 hours ago, ElleC said:

Agreed, Sim - with O'Sullivan and Bracewell more than holding their own in the alternative cast. Personally I find Unknown Soldier a moving piece which, as Xandra mentions, certainly makes you reflect on the huge loss of (young) life and the great heartache suffered by those left behind. The wonderful dancing and dramatic abilities of both main couples leave me very pleased to be seeing both casts again next week. Personally, I will never love Infra but can appreciate the amazing versatility of the dancers. Symphony in C is pure bliss!

On 2nd viewing I still didn't find the ballet in any way memorable but I preferred O'Sullivan/Bracewell to Naghdi/Ball. They somehow managed to feel more like ordinary people, girl/boy next door whereas I felt that Naghdi & Ball were too princess/princely for the characters they were portraying.

Bracewell has a very fluid quality of movement. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, annamk said:

.... I preferred O'Sullivan/Bracewell to Naghdi/Ball. They somehow managed to feel more like ordinary people, girl/boy next door whereas 

This is really interesting because the gulf between the people speaking and their dancer alter egos was one of the problems I had with the ballet. I haven’t seen the second cast yet.

I'm so glad I had the chance of seeing The Unknown Soldier myself last night, it made sense of the reviews, I found it to be much better than expected, but then as long as I see good dancing I'm happy, and there was surprisingly quite a bit of that, Matthew Ball and Yasmine Naghdi were beautiful, and there was a very good solo for the Telegraph Boy, who was he by the way, the cast list said Leo Dixon but there was a change saying Giacomo Rovero replaced Harry Churches, so difficult to remember when you have nothing on paper! As I was very high up in the amphi I couldn't hear the recorded voices, and couldn't see half the stage at first, what I could see made a dramatic visual impact, but I felt no emotion, apart from the scene of Matthew Ball's death, cradled by his comrade, and the moment when Yasmine Naghdi received the telegram.

It was fascinating to see Infra danced by a new young cast, I really missed Eric Underwood though, I'm going to watch my Blu-Ray tonight!

Now, Symphony in C is not my favourite Balanchine work, almost too much going on, but of course it was the perfect ballet to end this particular triple bill, so much glorious dancing and everyone looking so happy, especially Vadim!!!

• Like 3

The different perceptions are so interesting.  I was talking to someone earlier who said she didn’t like A-R in US because she found her to be lacking on the dramatic side.  Another friend said he found her expressionless.    I haven’t seen this cast yet either but look forward to doing so next week.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

This is really interesting because the gulf between the people speaking and their dancer alter egos was one of the problems I had with the ballet. I haven’t seen the second cast yet.

I understand what you mean but surely we can use our fantasy no? 

• Like 1