Being muslim at ballet

Nadya

Another thing I thought of is that although you have identified ballet as a style you'd like to learn, it might be worth investigating other dance styles that aren't so strict about what you wear and being able to see 'lines'. It might be easier to accommodate your norms for modesty in a less formal dance environment where there aren't so many rules. Just an idea, as you explore your options!

If your heart is really set on ballet, then adult classes are your best option in terms of relaxed dress codes.

Edited by Cara in NZ
Forgot last line
  • Like 5

Hello Nadya  - I see you have already had many helpful answers to your questions.

I am interested to learn more about what it is about ballet that has drawn you to it?

As you say you have always found ballet inspiring and beautiful I am guessing you will have watched professional performances and seen that both male and female dancers wear close fitting costumes in order to display the dancer’s lines and to allow freedom of movement. As ballet is an art form that uses the body to create beauty the body has to be on display - the body and how it moves, (defying physical possibility in some cases!), and the story and emotion conveyed by the movements, is an integral part of ballet.

It is great that you now have an opportunity to take ballet classes. In terms of what is usually worn it is true that the regular ballet clothing is leotard and tights – and that this is very much for practical reasons as others have said, e.g. the teachers need to see that the correct muscles are working in order to ensure the student is performing steps correctly and safely.

I am sure that if you explain your concerns the teachers at the prospective ballet school can answer specifically any questions you have regarding what can be worn there, and help you find a solution.

Good luck with it all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KeepDancing!! said:

Hello Nadya  - I see you have already had many helpful answers to your questions.

I am interested to learn more about what it is about ballet that has drawn you to it?

As you say you have always found ballet inspiring and beautiful I am guessing you will have watched professional performances and seen that both male and female dancers wear close fitting costumes in order to display the dancer’s lines and to allow freedom of movement. As ballet is an art form that uses the body to create beauty the body has to be on display - the body and how it moves, (defying physical possibility in some cases!), and the story and emotion conveyed by the movements, is an integral part of ballet.

Concerning what drawn me into ballet, I don't know if I will be able to put words on it, but I can try! For me, watching this dance conveys a sensation of purity, dignity, and otherworldly grace... I was very young when I saw it for the first time, and it was just on television, but immediately it spoke to me. I even think that it shares similarities with my religion: it let us see a beauty that is more than human, a beauty that honors Allah's work (Glory upon him).
But I admit that when I first saw it when I was little, I didn't have has many concerns about outfit decency ^^'

20 hours ago, Pups_mum said:

Hi Nadya,

I dont think there is any reason why your faith and your interest in ballet should be incompatible with a little bit of planning.

One think that i dont think has been mentioned regarding other students potential attitudes has just come into my mind and I thought it worth mentioning. Lots of teenagers go through rebellious stages and ballet students are no different. I remember my DD's old teachers tearing their hair out over some of the teens moods at times, and not wanting to wear the uniform, put their hair up for class etc was a fairly common thing. So if you go to a class with a strict dress code you may find the other girls dont want to wear it either, albeit for different reasons. If that is the case I think you would be wise to try to ensure thats your choice of clothing is as close to the uniform as your faith allows. For instance if the class leotard is plain navy blue, then look for a plain navy blue outfit for yourself. If the others have to wear some thing they dont much like and you have, say, a pretty flowered skirt or coloured headscarf on they may feel thats it isnt altogether fair. This might possibly cause a bit of tension. I think the teachers should make reasonable adjustments to allows you to participate with out compromising your beliefs, but you also need to explore how you can best fit in with the culture of the ballet class, within the framework of your faith.

Yes of course, I do not want to upset anyone or give the feeling to other girls that I am favored... I plan my outfit to be as plain and discreet as possible, so no flowered skirt or anything like that. If there are any rules regarding colors, I will follow them :)

Do you have other dance styles in mind? Apart from ballet, the one I see the most is modern-jazz, but it doesn't have the elegance of ballet... There are also hip-hop or other urban styles, but I don't like them: they seem vulgar, and often women are very sexualized!

On 21/11/2018 at 15:24, balletbean said:

Having read all the very constructive and informative comments Just one more point to consider. Touch. A ballet teacher can on occasion physically touch a pupil to guide and instruct them into the correct positioning of their legs/arms/hips etc. I’m not sure how that translates with the Muslim faith for a non related female to touch another in the execution of their duties. In all ballet classes I know if still hold strong traditional etiquette rules within the studio itself as well as the changing rooms. ie no talking during class, respectful of each other, polite and courteous  etc. Therefore hopefully creating a safe and nurturing environment free from unnecessary disrespect from other class/studio members. 

Best wishes I hope that you find what you are looking for. 🙆‍♀️

As long as it is by a woman, touch isn't really a problem. Except if any of those contacts are improper of course, but it has nothing to do with the fact that I am muslim, it is just illegal ^^'

Thanks to the very nice suggestions of @Anna C I started to summarize what I could be wearing at class, and I ended up with something like this :

Alternatively, I could wear some more basic modest islamic sportswear... For example, something like that : https://www.modanisa.com/en/anthracite-tracksuit-set-simart-576350.html?ck=7-en-EUR-seditor:desc

What do you think would be the best ?

Also, my mom will accompany me to the dance school in the coming days, so I will be able to meet the teacher and ask her question! I am so impatient! Do you think I should address any other subject, apart from the ones we already have mentioned here?

Thank you so much for your help, and blessings on you.

Edited by Nadya

Those look like good suggestions, Nadya.  I couldn’t see the link to the tracksuit but you could maybe suggest it when you speak to the teacher.  She still might suggest leggings rather than bootleg dance trousers (those are worn for Jazz really) so these might be better for the teacher to see your leg muscles working:  https://www.pineapple.uk.com/shop/womens/bottoms/high-waist-leggings.html

Leotards, leggings, chiffon skirts and over-dresses do all come in different colours, so asking about the class’s usual uniform is a good idea, as Pups_Mum says.  That way you will be able to feel as if you fit in as part of the class.  If there is no uniform of course then go for whatever colour you like! 

I think the only other thing to consider is that if you enjoy the classes and continue with ballet, does the school do an annual show? In other words might you be asked to take part in a performance?  Would your family and Imam be happy with you taking part in such a show if the other dancers are wearing tutus, leotards and so on?    Shows are a lovely opportunity to show your family and friends your progress. 

With regards to costumes, I understand that ballet costumes (and even the leotards and pink tights worn in class) seem “almost naked” or not “decent” to you BUT to the dancers and students who wear them, they are simply a traditional uniform or traditional costume, designed for freedom of movement and to compliment the beauty of the dance by showing the dancer’s neck and limbs.  (Incidentally, that’s why pointe shoes, shoe ribbons and tights all match in a performance as it extends the beautiful line of the dancer’s leg right down to the toes).    No different from traditional Punjabi dress for female Bhangra dancers, really, in that it’s not designed with any provocative or sexualised motive in mind.  It’s just traditional dance attire.  🙂

Hopefully you’ll be able to meet your teacher and start class soon.  Good luck! 

• Like 1

Can I just reassure you that a teacher will definitely not be looking at a body in a leotard and tights in any other way, than a torso that is trainable, correctable, strong and powerful for the demands of ballet. 

My daughter is now a professional dancer, when they look at themselves in the mirror, all they see is their flaws and faults, they use the mirrors for corrections. I can also honestly tell you from professional training to a career, very very few dancer develop a relationship with their male dancing partners. (probably a reason for that). Ballet dancers work so hard with good teachers that they have a totally different life to most children, teenagers and adults. 

I only mention the above just to give a small insight into what happens in ballet training. 

I really hope that you can resolve a uniform or dance kit that you feel comfortable in, because that’s so important, but a uniform that your teacher can correct and see your positioning and muscles. 

If you have a female teacher, how do you feel about being touched, eg leg to pull up, muscles that need squeezing etc, with permission teachers do touch. 

Ballet is stunningly beautiful, but the amount of hard work to get there and to continue to stay there is endless. 

Let us all know how you get on in your first ballet class, hope you love it.