Dear Mr. Taylor

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn’t mention being a drop-in Centre, then?

Witnessed a lovely little pantomime yesterday when I deposited my coat.  A rather dishevelled threesome were handing in two rucksacks and a large parcel about the size of a small coffee table top.  The attendant looked askance and politely asked where they were sitting.  ‘Over there,’ said the bloke!   So now we can add free central London left luggage office to the list of other amenities on offer.

On a more serious note, should there ever be a security incident at ROH the whole Board would have to fall on their swords.  Is there a high profile public building anywhere in London that is so badly secured?

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 4

It was rather ridiculous last night: no ticket check until I got to the door into the auditorium, as expected; but when the ticket was checked, and I then asked where to go (I always have a good idea, but do want to be directed to the right row), the checker directed me to someone standing a few feet further into the doorway for that function. If the check is going to be left until you're going into the auditorium, why are separate people needed to do it?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Doesn’t mention being a drop-in Centre, then?

Witnessed a lovely little pantomime yesterday when I deposited my coat.  A rather dishevelled threesome were handing in two rucksacks and a large parcel about the size of a small coffee table top.  The attendant looked askance and politely asked where they were sitting.  ‘Over there,’ said the bloke!   So now we can add free central London left luggage office to the list of other amenities on offer.

On a more serious note, should there ever be a security incident at ROH the whole Board would have to fall on their swords.  Is there a high profile public building anywhere in London that is so badly secured?

We made exactly the same remark yesterday!  BEYOND believe the amount of laxity in security at the ROH! I frankly don't feel safe any longer when sitting in the auditorium. I am not paranoid but the kind of times we are living in asks for security to be in place. Will it take a series incident before they will get their act together????? It will be too late! Anyone can just walk in, there are no checks and no security people around in such a high profile place? My bag wasn't checked, no one seemed to care. 

9 minutes ago, bridiem said:

It was rather ridiculous last night: no ticket check until I got to the door into the auditorium, as expected; but when the ticket was checked, and I then asked where to go (I always have a good idea, but do want to be directed to the right row), the checker directed me to someone standing a few feet further into the doorway for that function. If the check is going to be left until you're going into the auditorium, why are separate people needed to do it?

I think they've been trying out different ticket checking methods and this looks like the current favourite. It sort of makes sense, person A checks validity of ticket and person B provides directions if needed. In both my recent visits person B has been an usher I have seen over several years and probably is best placed to know exactly where the seats are. 

Based on a conversation I had with a sales person when I was trying to change a ticket over the phone, it sounds like they are waiting for some whizzy electronic ticket checker to be implemented. Not that this helps in the meantime. 

26 minutes ago, Timmie said:

I think they've been trying out different ticket checking methods and this looks like the current favourite. It sort of makes sense, person A checks validity of ticket and person B provides directions if needed. In both my recent visits person B has been an usher I have seen over several years and probably is best placed to know exactly where the seats are. 

But there have always been two people at each (main) doorway to direct people to seats (and that is needed, in my view, at least most of the time). People presenting their tickets as they go into the auditorium are going to expect to also be directed to their seat. This way there will just be a lot of pointless conversations where person A directs people to person B.

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

But there have always been two people at each (main) doorway to direct people to seats (and that is needed, in my view, at least most of the time). People presenting their tickets as they go into the auditorium are going to expect to also be directed to their seat. This way there will just be a lot of pointless conversations where person A directs people to person B.

But sits nicely with the levels!  Tonight you can see ballet A from our guaranteed not to offend anyone repertoire B.  Just go to Level 5 where you need Door C, Row D, Seat 34. I. The interval go to Bar 1, Level 5 or, if you have pre-ordered, table D, position BC1.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Based on a conversation I had with a sales person when I was trying to change a ticket over the phone, it sounds like they are waiting for some whizzy electronic ticket checker to be implemented. Not that this helps in the meantime. 

what, like at tube/train stations? Touch-in for the show and touch-out at the interval? Paper tickets stuck in the turnstile, with a tut-tutting queue of smartphone users behind. Sounds fun! 😉

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Those type of guys are masters in not looking suspicious and in behaving normally (they are even known to shave their beards in order not to attract attention). 

56 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Quite.  The women, too.

Not the women having to resort to shaving their beards, surely! And, ahem Xandra Newman, I shall now take offence on behalf of all beardy hipsters everywhere ...

18 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

what, like at tube/train stations? Touch-in for the show and touch-out at the interval? Paper tickets stuck in the turnstile, with a tut-tutting queue of smartphone users behind. Sounds fun! 😉

No way! As ever was, many of the "smart-phone users" will inevitably be at the head of the queue to touch in, holding everyone up while they search for the tickets on their phone.

And, yes, I do have tickets on my smart-phone too, but...........

BTW, many theatres (including ones in the regions which have been untroubled by RB or RO visits for most people's lifetimes) have hand-held checking machines which work really well. So why did noone in the ROH 'front of house' team think to trial them ahead of "open up"? 

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

We made exactly the same remark yesterday!  BEYOND believe the amount of laxity in security at the ROH! I frankly don't feel safe any longer when sitting in the auditorium. I am not paranoid but the kind of times we are living in asks for security to be in place. Will it take a series incident before they will get their act together????? It will be too late! Anyone can just walk in, there are no checks and no security people around in such a high profile place? My bag wasn't checked, no one seemed to care. 

You are paranoid. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colman said:

You are paranoid. 

Really?  An interesting remark.  Whilst I don't expect airport-style security, I do think there is a duty of care to patrons which is being overlooked.  At the same time as throwing open the whole building to anyone at all, ticket checks have virtually been abandoned along with bag searches.  It seems a strange co-ordination of affairs.

I was sitting three seats from Lady Sarah Chatto last night and there was one empty seat two down from her.  Anybody could have wandered in and attacked her or anyone else.  ROH is an iconic building in a target capital city.  It ill behoves those who run it to be so lax about the safety of visitors and staff.

• Like 4

On 16/11/2018 at 12:54, Jan McNulty said:

Sadly, although the ROH has been so open about how little regulars are valued, they are by no means the only company to make you feel like that.

My feeling is that the artistic staff of companies are still welcoming and appreciate regular supporters but the office staff are money men who don’t give a toss about anything except the balance sheet!

Nuff said:  

I've just been perusing the bar and restaurant prices. Not with any intention of every buying anything, of course.

A chocolate brownie is £4

A biscuit £2

A cup of coffee £3

Bit peckish? An egg and cress sandwich will set you back £11.50

The cheapest item on the restaurant menu appears to be mushroom soup at £9.50

At least the service charge of 12.5% added to your bill is discretionary.

Stuff that for a lark. 

(If they want to discourage elitism, then might I suggest that they think again about all the poncy ingredients in their food).

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Whilst I don't expect airport-style security, I do think there is a duty of care to patrons which is being overlooked.  At the same time as throwing open the whole building to anyone at all, ticket checks have virtually been abandoned along with bag searches.  It seems a strange co-ordination of affairs.

I'm bag checked every time - but then I have a large bag, with the potential for something untoward in it. Which is fine, I certainly don't mind.

Without wishing to be sinister, I'm sure part of the revamp of the new opened up areas installed cctv such that people behind the scenes are watching the public spaces for anything amiss, and a response would be forthcoming should anything look like occurring.

As for ticket checks - I'm sure anyone without a ticket would have a problem finding a seat in a supposedly sold out house; and the correct owners of a disputed seat easily verified. And besides, most people are clutching tickets as they enter, in order to identify their seats. Not religiously checking those, speeds up entry, I reckon. Most of the time, the check is to ascertain if the patron knows where they are heading in my experience.

• Like 1

Re. empty seats ready to be occupied by anyone, there were no less than 4 in the front row of the Orchestra Stalls (sorry, Level G  - Door GB -  Row/Box A) last night.

The same group of seats has been empty on first nights previously. Why, oh why, don't the purchasers return them for re-sale?

30 minutes ago, capybara said:

Re. empty seats ready to be occupied by anyone, there were no less than 4 in the front row of the Orchestra Stalls (sorry, Level G  - Door GB -  Row/Box A) last night.

The same group of seats has been empty on first nights previously. Why, oh why, don't the purchasers return them for re-sale?

Unexpectedly called up for Cats

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I'm sure part of the revamp of the new opened up areas installed cctv such that people behind the scenes are watching the public spaces for anything amiss

I thought there was a 'newish' notice at the main entrance which referred to 'possible bag checks' and 'other security arrangements in operation'.  Apologies for some vagueness on my part - these are what I recall from when I saw the 'new' notices a couple of weeks ago.  I might check on Friday when I'm next visiting.

53 minutes ago, capybara said:

1. Can't be bothered?

2. Rich enough to be able to afford the loss?

3. Hoping they might make it by Act II/III?

4. Unaware of the resale option?

5. Don't fancy going/can't go through the ROH's hoopla to return tickets? (I've had times when wifi hasn't been available, and you try getting them to take a ticket back under those conditions!)

6. Some personal tragedy/disaster getting in the way?

7. Malfunctioning transport?

8. Combination of the above?

Me three.  And frankly even if bags weren't searched I see no reason why anyone should feel more nervous sitting in the ROH than they would be on a busy train or bus, where they are surrounded by people with luggage that hasn't been checked.  But some people just seem to enjoy righteously complaining - if the ROH provided a tray of chocolates served up by a personal butler to their seat some posters would doubtless moan that it was encouraging unhealthy eating or discriminating against the lactose intolerant. ....

• Like 3