Press Release: ENB London Coliseum Manon and Nutcracker Casting

And the press release:

TUFTVEVSIExPR08uanBn

English National Ballet 
Nutcracker / Swan Lake / Manon

London Coliseum
13 December 2018 – 20 January 2019
www.ballet.org.uk  

This Winter, English National Ballet presents three critically acclaimed productions, Nutcracker, Swan Lake and Manon, at the London Coliseum. The company today announces Principal Casting for performances of Nutcracker and Manon, and, an additional performance of Manon.

Tamara Rojo, Artistic Director of English National Ballet said: 

“I’m thrilled that we’re able to give our London audiences as many chances as possible to see this wonderful production by putting on an additional performance. It's also a great opportunity for them to experience the remarkable talent shining across the whole Company, who have all really enjoyed bringing Manon to life."

English National Ballet presents Manon, and also Swan Lake, at the London Coliseum in January 2019 following performances of both productions on tour in the UK this Autumn. 

Famous for its dramatic, challenging and expressive choreography, Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon features some of the most demanding and fulfilling roles in ballet. Manon is accompanied by Jules Massenet’s haunting music performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic.

English National Ballet’s hugely successful production of the timeless classic, Swan Lake, choreographed by Derek Deane with music performed live by the English National Ballet Philharmonic, will bring some of the most iconic scenes in ballet, and Tchaikovsky’s glorious score, to London audiences once again. 

Continuing its Christmas tradition of presenting a Nutcracker production every year since 1950, English National Ballet’s Nutcracker returns this festive season, following sold out performances in 2016 and 2017. Over 100 dancers and musicians bring to life the popular Tchaikovsky score featuring the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy and Waltz of the Flowers, performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic.

Principal Casting

Nutcracker (in the order of Clara, Nephew, Nutcracker) 

Thursday 13 December 
Rina Kanehara, Jeffrey Cirio, Fernando Carratalá Coloma

Friday 14 December (mat) 
Fernanda Oliveira, James Forbat, Daniel McCormick* 

Friday 14 December 
Erina Takahashi, Isaac Hernández, Aitor Arrieta

Saturday 15 December (mat)
Katja Khaniukova, Ken Saruhashi, Erik Woolhouse 

Saturday 15 December 
Shiori Kase, Francesco Gabriele Frola*, Fernando Carratalá Coloma

Sunday 16 December (mat) 
Fernanda Oliveira, James Forbat, Daniel McCormick

Tuesday 18 December (mat)
Begoña Cao, Aitor Arrieta, Junor Souza

Tuesday 18 December 
Alina Cojocaru, Francesco Gabriele Frola, James Forbat 

Wednesday 19 December (mat)
Katja Khaniukova, Ken Saruhashi, Erik Woolhouse

Wednesday 19 December 

Thursday 20 December (mat) 
Begoña Cao, Aitor Arrieta, Junor Souza

Thursday 20 December
Shiori Kase, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Daniel McCormick

Friday 21 December (mat) 
Francesca Velicu, Ken Saruhashi, Erik Woolhouse

Friday 21 December 
Jurgita Dronina, Joseph Caley, Skyler Martin 

Saturday 22 December (mat) 

Saturday 22 December 

Sunday 23 December (mat) 

Wednesday 26 December (5pm) 
Shiori Kase, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Daniel McCormick

Thursday 27 December 

Friday 28 December 

Saturday 29 December (mat)

Saturday 29 December 

Sunday 30 December (mat) 
Francesca Velicu, Ken Saruhashi, Erik Woolhouse 

Manon (in the order of Manon and Des Grieux)

Wednesday 16 January 
Alina Cojocaru and Joseph Caley 

Thursday 17 January (mat) 
Jurgita Dronina and Isaac Hernández

Thursday 17 January 
Begoña Cao and Aitor Arrieta 

Friday 18 January (mat) 
Emma Hawes and Rupert Pennefather 

Friday 18 January 
Erina Takahashi and Jeffrey Cirio 

Saturday 19 January (mat) 
Alison McWhinney and Francesco Gabriele Frola 

Saturday 19 January 
Jurgita Dronina and Isaac Hernández

Sunday 20 January (mat)
Alina Cojocaru and Joseph Caley 

*Debut in role  

Casting for Swan Lake to be announced in due course.

Casting is subject to change. Please see www.ballet.org.uk for up-to-date casting. 

ENDS

For further information about English National Ballet and to book tickets visit www.ballet.org.uk. Please note performance details are subject to change.

Notes to Editors

Alongside performances, English National Ballet will host a range of workshops and events throughout the Winter, aimed to provide a gateway into the world of ballet. Activities include on-stage workshops for all ages, Live Drawing, Family Events, and behind-the-scenes talks. For more details, see www.ballet.org.uk/whats-on/

Listings information for 2018 Winter Season:

Nutcracker
London Coliseum

Thursday 13 December – Sunday 30 December 2018
Press night: Thursday 13 December, 7.30pm
Box Office: 020 7845 9300 or www.ballet.org.uk/nutcracker 

Swan Lake
London Coliseum

Thursday 03 January – Sunday 13 January 2019
Press night: Thursday 03 January, 7.30pm
Box Office: 020 7845 9300 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake

Manon
London Coliseum

Wednesday 16 January – Sunday 20 January 2019
Press night: Wednesday 16 January, 7.30pm
Box Office: 020 7845 9300 or www.ballet.org.uk/manon 

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has played a major role in the growth and history of ballet in the UK. Today, English National Ballet is renowned for taking world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through its national and international tour programme, offsite performances at festivals including Glastonbury and Latitude, its distinguished orchestra English National Ballet Philharmonic, and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice and delivery, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s. Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet has gained new acclaim as it introduces innovative new works to the Company’s repertoire while continuing to honour and reinvigorate traditional ballet.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I've just booked 2 Manon's and got an automatic 15% discount, a good idea as many people miss out on these offers!

I didn't realise you could get it for two of the same programme - that's great! (now, how many Manons can I fit in?)

• Like 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Press Release: ENB London Coliseum Manon and Nutcracker Casting
9 hours ago, Sim said:

What a shame he only gets one London show, and it's a Friday matinee.  That would make it difficult for some of us who work to take time off so soon after the Christmas holidays....😟

This Friday matinee is an extra show which wasn't in the schedule originally.

It is on the same day as an RB double bill rehearsal with the RB's programme opening that same night. And ENB's midweek matinees start at 2.00pm. So..........Manon Acts 2  and 3 anyone?

1 hour ago, capybara said:

This Friday matinee is an extra show which wasn't in the schedule originally.

It is on the same day as an RB double bill rehearsal with the RB's programme opening that same night. And ENB's midweek matinees start at 2.00pm. So..........Manon Acts 2  and 3 anyone?

.... ....maybe even Manon Act 1 as well since the matinée that day doesn't start till 2.30pm!  This would, of course, only work out if the double bill rehearsal were to last no more than two and three quarter hours (so as to allow enough time to reach the Coliseum before the start).

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've just paid to switch my train tickets to London for Friday 17 Jan so I can make it in time for the matinee. My itinerary is Manon Friday afternoon, 2 Pigs bill Friday evening and 12 noon on Saturday followed by acts two and three of the Manon matinee (in a £10 seat) followed by Nine Night at Trafalgar Studios on Saturday night and then Manon on Sunday afternoon. Six (well, five and two-thirds) shows for two nights in a hotel is good going! 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

I've just paid to switch my train tickets to London for Friday 17 Jan so I can make it in time for the matinee. My itinerary is Manon Friday afternoon, 2 Pigs bill Friday evening and 12 noon on Saturday followed by acts two and three of the Manon matinee (in a £10 seat) followed by Nine Night at Trafalgar Studios on Saturday night and then Manon on Sunday afternoon. Six (well, five and two-thirds) shows for two nights in a hotel is good going! 

Take care! Thursday is the 17th. I'd hate to see such determination spoiled by a mix-up with tickets for trains and theatres.

4 minutes ago, Douglas Allen said:

Take care! Thursday is the 17th. I'd hate to see such determination spoiled by a mix-up with tickets for trains and theatres.

Gosh you're right. Luckily my error was with my typing in my post rather than my booking! Thank you.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, alison said:

Er - Pennefather was doing the Friday matinee, wasn't he?  Sorry, that *is* the 18th.  No news about Dronina or Caley, then ... fingers crossed!  Disappointed not to see Pennefather, but I trust Frola will be good.

Yes - sorry, I just copied and pasted the tweet; but it should have said Friday (they've now corrected their original tweet).

It felt, at the time casting was announced, as if the Friday matinee had been added to accommodate a performance by Rupert Pennefather. It is such a shame for him that he is now injured.

Gabriele Frola is nothing short of excellent as Des Grieux. I don't think that anyone will have cause to be disappointed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Seen on Twitter: cast change for Manon - due to injury, Rupert Pennefather will be replaced by Francesco Gabriele Frola for Thursday's (18 Jan) matinee performance at the London Coliseum.

Poor Rupert.  I assumed his departure from the RB was due to injury and was delighted to see him scheduled to dance with ENB but the fates seem to have conspired against him again.

Linda

That's the fastest I have ever brought a ticket. 

I felt Emma Hawes gave a strong debut as Manon in Southampton, but was let down a little by a lack of chemistry with Pennefather. That should not be a problem with Frola! He and McWhinney were breathtaking and I have confidence that his partnership with Hawes will be particularly special. There are still a heap of tickets left for this date, definitely grab one if you can. Especially as the discount code posted on the special offers forum still works. 

Of course, best wishes to Pennefather. A real shame if these performances were meant to be his come back. 

Edited by Saodan

3 hours ago, alison said:

Er - Pennefather was doing the Friday matinee, wasn't he?  Sorry, that *is* the 18th.  No news about Dronina or Caley, then ... fingers crossed!  Disappointed not to see Pennefather, but I trust Frola will be good.

As of today, Dronina should be dancing both her performances!   Frola is a fantastic Des Grieux (see my previous post of his performance in Southampton) and I am looking forward to seeing him again with Alison McWhinney.

If anyone is planning on catching the first night of Manon and hasn't yet booked, you should be aware that availability is low or non-existent, depending on the tier you want to occupy.

Thursday night is pretty low, too.

There are still plenty of opportunites for buying Manon tickets overall, but much fewer  if you want  Cojocaru /Caley, or Cao/Arrieta.

Apart from the Cojocaru /Caley final performance on Sunday, it  seems a lot harder to sell tickets for the matinees.

It is a pretty intense run for the corps, who don't get a  break from 8 performances in 5 days.  Does anyone think this may  put too much strain and pressure on the dancers, or is it perfectly acceptable? 

5 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

There are still plenty of opportunites for buying Manon tickets overall, but much fewer  if you want  Cojocaru /Caley, or Cao/Arrieta.

Apart from the Cojocaru /Caley final performance on Sunday, it  seems a lot harder to sell tickets for the matinees.

It is a pretty intense run for the corps, who don't get a  break from 8 performances in 5 days.  Does anyone think this may  put too much strain and pressure on the dancers, or is it perfectly acceptable? 

There's not really that much for the corps in Manon.  

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

There's not really that much for the corps in Manon.  

Beggars, courtesans, dancing gentlemen, townsfolk, deported prostitutes - there may not be as much for the ladies as in "Swan Lake" but there is still plenty for them to dance!  However, this extremely hard-working company is used to such an intense performance schedule.

• Like 2

Now Emma Hawes is being replaced by Alison McWhinney on Friday matinee too. They seem to be having a spate of injuries!

Request for advice: is Manon the sort of piece that can be seen twice in 3 days by a newcomer to it? I've never seen it before & booked ages ago to see Cojocaru/Caley on Sunday. I'm now going to be in London Friday evening to see the ROH Asphodel Meadows/Two Pigeons & due to an unexpectedly cancelled temp job could go down early & see what will now be McWhinney/Frola, who I see got very good comments for their tour performances.

Edited by Dawnstar

49 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Now Emma Hawes is being replaced by Alison McWhinney on Friday matinee too. They seem to be having a spate of injuries!

Request for advice: is Manon the sort of piece that can be seen twice in 3 days by a newcomer to it? I've never seen it before & booked ages ago to see Cojocaru/Caley on Sunday. I'm now going to be in London Friday evening to see the ROH Asphodel Meadows/Two Pigeons & due to an unexpectedly cancelled temp job could go down early & see what will now be McWhinney/Frola, who I see got very good comments for their tour performances.

Absolutely!  McWhinney and Frola are a stunning combination!

• Like 1