Russian Ballet Icons Gala at The Coliseum - 31 March 2019

Tickets are now on sale for the 31st March performance for the Russian Icons Gala 2019.  For the past couple of years this has sold out and the cheaper tickets (the lowest fee is again £25 - blessedly not raised) tend to go in my experience quite quickly.  [I would imagine this year might even be more eagerly booked not having had a Russian company resident during this summer.]  Book here.  If you want to escape the healthy service charge you can always book in person from the venue.  

Narrative detail is much the same as initially issued previously for other years:

The annual Russian Ballet Icons Gala in London has been organised by Ensemble Productions since 2006. The Gala celebrates the legacy of the famed Russian Ballet School and pays tribute to its legendary dancers. The 2019 Gala will again become a highlight in the ballet lovers’ calendar featuring captivating classical masterpieces and exploring contemporary repertoire created by today’s leading choreographers from Russia and world-wide, whose work has been influenced by Russian Ballet.

The programme will be accompanied by the English National Ballet Philharmonic orchestra under the direction of Valeriy Ovsyannikov and performed by the principal dancers of the Bolshoi, Mariinsky, Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, Grand Opera Paris, Berlin Staatsoper, New York City Ballet, Ballet of Monte Carlo and others, and will be another unforgettable event, setting new standards in the ballet experience!

SIDE NOTE:  It is interesting to see that from 14th June to 31st August 2019 there is a musical (On Your Feet) appearing at the Coliseum so there will obviously be no major ballet presence at that address next summer.  We know, of course, that the Bolshoi will be in London during the summer of 2019 at the ROH.  It was also reported in one OUTBOUND Festival review that SFB would be appearing in London in 2019 - but I have seen no other mention of this nor any notation (at least that I could find) in SFB's official 2018/19 season announcement.  Has anyone seen or heard anything?  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Any idea when the programme/cast will be announced Bruce? Does it usually sell out? I'm just wondering if I book now and then decide I'm not that bothered when I know the programme and cast would I stand any chance of a refund?

The Row A in the Balcony was always at the same price as B, C, D, etc. Not much room for long legs but there is no bar in front of your eyes. It used to cost £15 in the past and last year I paid £25 for a seat there.

It cost £40 this year. They are very clever now.

On 13/08/2018 at 17:37, jmhopton said:

Any idea when the programme/cast will be announced Bruce? Does it usually sell out? I'm just wondering if I book now and then decide I'm not that bothered when I know the programme and cast would I stand any chance of a refund?

They do list a group of dancers early in the year - if memory serves - but it is certainly nothing to count on.  The list I've found even can change between the time you see the it when you get into the theatre and when the curtains actually go up :)  They don't list rep in advance in my experience - I think because they probably don't know themselves until very close to the performance date what exactly is coming down the pike.  That said it does give London audiences a fleeting glimpse at some Europoean and - very occasionally - North American dancers they might not otherwise have an opportunity to see unless they travel so in that way it is valuable.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was in Boston this past weekend to see their Nutcracker. Did not get to see Misa dance, but ran into her. She mentioned that Jeffrey Cirio invited her to the gala. I am so glad they will get to dance together once again.  I would love to see this. One of my other favorites is on the list - Maria Kotchetkova. I would guess she is dancing with Daniil. She, Daniil, and Jeffrey will be missed in NY by this audience member. Daniil will be dancing some limited performances, but only in things I have seen him dance before. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Details just received from Ensemble Productions:

The programme will be performed by Maria Alexandrova (Bolshoi Theatre), Elisa Carrillo Cabrera (Staatsballett Berlin), Jeffrey Cirio (English National Ballet), Mikhail Kaniskin (Staatsballett Berlin), Kimin Kim (Mariinsky Theatre), Maria Kochetkova, Liudmila Konovalova (Vienna State Ballet), Misa Kuranaga (Boston Ballet), Lucía Lacarra (Bayerisches Staatsballett), Sarah Lamb (Royal Ballet), Vladislav Lantratov (Bolshoi Theatre), Julian MacKay (Mikhailovsky Theatre), Steven McRae (Royal Ballet), Yasmine Naghdi (Royal Ballet), Artem Ovcharenko (Bolshoi Theatre), Xander Parish (Mariinsky Theatre), Giuseppe Picone (Teatro di San Carlo), Polina Semionova (Staatsballett Berlin), Daniil Simkin (Staatsballett Berlin), Anastasia Stashkevich (Bolshoi Theatre), James Stout (Dutch National Ballet), Viktoria Tereshkina (Mariinsky Theatre), Anna Tsygankova (Dutch National Ballet), Anna Tikhomirova (Bolshoi Theatre), Josué Ullate (Víctor Ullate Ballet) and Ivan Vasiliev (Mikhailovsky Theatre) among others.

The Gala will be accompanied by the English National Ballet Philharmonic Orchestra under the direction of Valery Ovsyannikov.

Edited by Bluebird
edited to correct their misspelling of Ms Naghdi's name and also to point out that the dancers named, in this kind of initial announcement, haven't always appeared on the day.
  • Like 4

Wow that's a great list of dancers if they all turn up!

Better get looking at prices ....no doubt will be exorbitant but might pay a bit more to see some of those artists though I know Galas can be a bit bitty.

• Like 1