threads and locking

Nicola H

looks like   we'll have to send the mods  some  more loctite 638  ...  ( high strength, rapid curing  thread locking fluid  for the none geeky ) 

unfortunately over recent  weeks it seems  a lot of people  haven't  borne heed  of what the mods  say  about  real names and  the truly controversial comments   that might be made ... 

the Ballet West  discussion and  now the RBS  discussion loacked becasue people  are  making  direct accusations  against named  managers / leaders/ teachers   while hiding behind  pseudonyms ... 

there reaches a point  where the mods  may just think 'sod it' and put the shutters down. - the the detriment  of the  rest of the  dance community 

• Like 3

I for one am happy to put my name to a criticism, and have done so both here and on an external site. Possibly I'm happy so to do because I don't have a child who dances, but I agree, if a thing is wrong in one's opinion, one should speak up, identifying oneself.

Anna Campbell

(with no relations who dance, unless you count my nieces with a different surname who allegedly perform hip-hop but all I can see is two kids (not them 🤣) out the front doing moves and the bulk of them standing at the side or the back stomping their feet)

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 5

In this particular case, reference is made to a specific child, and while you can talk about your own child, you aren't supposed to discuss someone else's, especially when that child can be identified by the remarks.

The moderators of this site are all volunteers and have to err on the side of caution.

• Like 8

I understand that comments made about individual kids are inappropriate.

However I feel frustrated that this valuable forum for parents is being hampered.

While I understand the need for negative posts to be attributable there are issues for parents of kids in vocational training where many fear their children's future could be affected by comments they make.

I also feel that public figures like Mr Powney's must expect to receive feedback, both positive and negative, when contentious statements are made.

• Like 3

I do agree with the cautious approach etc especially as threads can move very fast sometimes so difficult to keep up with the monitoring but cannot the posts just be removed that are contravening policy etc and perhaps a reminder but the rest and thread be kept open? 

Having said that perhaps this particular topic today is bound to attract negative comments in the end because his statement is so obviously controversial!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

In this particular case, reference is made to a specific child, and while you can talk about your own child, you aren't supposed to discuss someone else's, especially when that child can be identified by the remarks.

The moderators of this site are all volunteers and have to err on the side of caution.

Imagining myself in the position of a mother of a named child on this forum, I would be very grateful if the moderators locked threads while they consider what is being said about my child rather than allow comments to run away with themselves.

In instances of criticism against paid professionals, then I would caution all posting to bear in mind the very real-world possibility of being held to account for what is written ...... which doesn't mean, "Don't post". It just means, be mindful of the law.

Edited by glissade
  • Like 2

Just another thought on locked threads and bans from mentioning ..... From the point of view of discussion in a forum, it might be helpful if some timescale could be indicated. Eg. nobody is allowed to mention Ballet West for at least x number of weeks (while x happens - if that can be outlined).

2 minutes ago, glissade said:

Just another thought on locked threads and bans from mentioning ..... From the point of view of discussion in a forum, it might be helpful if some timescale could be indicated. Eg. nobody is allowed to mention Ballet West for at least x number of weeks (while x happens - if that can be outlined).

17 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I do agree with the cautious approach etc especially as threads can move very fast sometimes so difficult to keep up with the monitoring but cannot the posts just be removed that are contravening policy etc and perhaps a reminder but the rest and thread be kept open? 

Having said that perhaps this particular topic today is bound to attract negative comments in the end because his statement is so obviously controversial!  

We do usually try not to lock threads and we only do it in certain circumstances; sometimes threads quickly descend into “Flame Wars”, become unconstructive and repetitive or sometimes - I’m sorry to say - people cannot or will not abide by the forum rules.

It should be remembered that all Moderators are unpaid volunteers, all of whom have busy lives and/or jobs.  We are not robots, we are not on duty 24/7 and when reports are made or threads are problematic, we have to discuss issues between ourselves.  When a controversial thread is moving particularly fast, we physically cannot keep up with the number of reports made.  Each report needs careful consideration and discussion and we have to do this while juggling jobs and everything else.  In this case, we have no choice but to lock the thread in order to stop more and more reports popping up as people post. 

I hope that helps.

Anna C on behalf of BalletcoForum Moderators

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think he has been reading some of the threads on this forum?

• Like 7