Adult absolute beginners courses in Central London

RuthE

No, my City Lit course is the beginners’ one. I think the Intermediate course may be the class that comes in just after us.

I believe there is usually a longer summer rep course (aimed at mixed levels) but there’s some building work planned, so they’re cutting it short. La Sylphide has been mentioned as a likely subject.

I noticed that Franziska’s midweek classes are only an hour, which seems very short for a ballet class.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With Franziska a lot of people do both classes and use the more beginners one as a warm up and for pointework as well. But generally speaking an hour is a bit short .....Id say an hour and a quarter for real  beginners and an hour and a half once you have got the basics.

• Like 1

I'm actually trying to get onto a Ballet For You course....on Tuesday evenings in Belsize Park .....have been on a waiting list since January. Have been invited to enrol this Friday 22nd but have also been told the class is already nearly full as obviously previously attendees get preference to enrol.

This can be what happens at ENB as well if you enrol in the Autumn you are probably okay but after that some classes are really hard to get into. They have been allowing Drop in this term and this week is the last week before they move to City Island ....no idea yet when classes will resume. I've been doing Laura Husseys Intermediate class on Wednesdays and it's the last one tonight!!

I thought if I don't make Ballet For You I might give the City Lit Intermediate class a go next term if it's not full. Have been looking for a suitable Tuesday class since January as I'm in London on Tuesday/ Wednesday's most weeks. 

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

This can be what happens at ENB as well if you enrol in the Autumn you are probably okay but after that some classes are really hard to get into.

Yes, I had picked up on this from a certain other adult ballet thread which ended up making me lose the will to live.  So I might not have had the option of ENB for this term even if I hadn't already gone for City Lit.

Thanks for the info on Ballet For You - I hadn't heard of them and have just looked at their website.  It's one I'll bear in mind as a possibility for the future - though as I work in Victoria and live south of the river, the thought of leaving my office in the opposite direction from home would put me off a bit!

I was attracted to that Tuesday class because apart from being at roughly Intermediate level they also do Rep normally on a Tuesday. However this summer term their general  Rep isn't happening as they have a show coming up in July at the Greenwood Theatre ( London Bridge). I'm still not sure it isn't best to wait till the Autumn now. They have a whole range of classes throughout the week but most are north of the river. 

Im lucky in that respect as I stay near Highbury Corner when in London so anywhere in the North and Central is easy!! 

If you are anywhere near Battersea you might like to consider Sander Blommaert's classes at the BBO Headquarters ... Though he has just taken a job at Elmhurst and only recently found a really good replacement teacher who also trained at RBS and has danced in Belgium and New Zealand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

I was attracted to that Tuesday class because apart from being at roughly Intermediate level they also do Rep normally on a Tuesday. However this summer term their general  Rep isn't happening as they have a show coming up in July at the Greenwood Theatre ( London Bridge). I'm still not sure it isn't best to wait till the Autumn now. They have a whole range of classes throughout the week but most are north of the river. 

Im lucky in that respect as I stay near Highbury Corner when in London so anywhere in the North and Central is easy!! 

Funnily enough the reason I haven't signed up for the City Lit rep class (besides the fact that I already know I'm not free for the first class) is that I might be involved in a different (not ballet) show at the Greenwood Theatre just after that, and I'm not yet sure of the time commitment! But it's now looking as if I can't do that because of huge time commitment required earlier on (which, ironically, all clashes squarely with the City Lit classes I've already booked for next term...)

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

If you are anywhere near Battersea you might like to consider Sander Blommaert's classes at the BBO Headquarters ... Though he has just taken a job at Elmhurst and only recently found a really good replacement teacher who also trained at RBS and has danced in Belgium and New Zealand. 

Are these advertised somewhere online?

RuthE have sent you a PM 

With Sander I think he is under Blommaert Ballet and Toning but I've only got the link to his old website address certainly his email is blommaertballetandtoning@gmail.com

Hope this helps.

The new teacher who I really liked is called Laurie Mcsherry -Gray .....he takes the Sunday classes .....I'm not sure if he will take over the Thursday classes as well next term. 

Twin brother of ENB's Joshua McSherry-Gray... that's quite a distinctive name! (I clearly assumed they were brothers but had to Google to find out that they are twins.)

Sander Blommaert's website doesn't currently show any classes available for booking, unless it's just my browser.

• Like 1

Sander is a twin also!! 

I will find out for you and post here as useful for others to know maybe how you now book  on his classes. I used to book online but recently have been paying on the day as there have been different teachers etc. 

Kate_N I cannot make that link work!! 

For example I tried putting in the date I am next attending (Sunday  31st March) and nothing comes up!! But there is definitely a class that day!! 

As far as I know there are two ballet classes running....one on a Thursday evening followed by a pointework class ....and a lady teaches this but I've never done the Thursday class so don't know her name unfortunately. There used to be a ballet class on the Tuesday which I went to for a while but this stopped when Sander moved to Birmingham in January.

The other class is on Sunday's which is the Rep. Class.....now taught by Laurie Mcsherry Gray and he does a stretch class for an hour after as well. 

I haven't tried to pay online since January so just pay  on the day at the moment! 

The person who could help the most with this is currently in Germany but I will email her over the weekend.

Have found out you cannot book for classes online at the moment....you have to contact individual teachers directly( but even I don't have the contact details for Laurie yet as he is so new) You can find out details though by emailing Sander so will give that again now: blommaertballetandtoning@gmail.com

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 00:11, LinMM said:

I can highly recommend Franziska's classes. I cannot make her weekly classes ....she has similar classes on Thursdays but often attend her workshops which are also very good London Russian is also good but I would recommend attending these classes once you have been doing about a year of ballet.

One further question if you don't mind, LinMM... are you saying that the LRBS "Absolute Beginner" classes are suitable only for people who are no longer absolute beginners? Or do you mean their Beginner classes?

Probably I am talking about their beginners class....this is the only class I took there and although the centre work was comparatively easy the barre was very long ....good but long....so in my view not suitable for people who had hardly done any ballet before. 

Sometimes the classes overran in time so could be nearly two hours long!! Very good value for money of course but again this is okay if you have had some experience of ballet previously OR at least a years experience already OR are very fit in other ways ....which of course some people are as they go to lots of other classes connected with fitness or do a lot of running etc etc. 

I don't know about their absolute beginners class as I've never attended that.

I used to go a lot a few years back but stopped when got an Achilles injury ( not from their classes I might add) and never got round to going back as later had joined LAB etc and found other classes I liked more central than Clapham for me. 

I went there originally as when I initially restarted ballet in Brighton I had a Russian teacher so looked for similar in London. 

Tomorrow will be my last day at Sander's Rep classes as I'm not taking part in the show in June. I  really dislike being regularly involved in having to travel up to London at weekends!! So shall reserve that for odd workshops etc.....but any regular rehearsals have to be on a week day for me in future. I already have a choice of two nice Saturday classes here in Brighton so have decided don't need all the travelling problems going up to London at weekends!! 

• Like 2

Dear All! I’m super excited to announce Adult Ballet Class by BalletFriends is NOW officially OPEN to BOOK! EVERY TUESDAY 19:00 - 20:30 with Laurie McSherry-Gray, former soloist of Royal Ballet of Flanders. Held at the beautiful SIOBHAN DAVIES STUDIOS in Central London. 😃 I hope to see many of you there! Click link for tickets and details 👏 Laurie x https://balletfriends.co.uk/products/adult-ballet-class-by-balletfriends

• Like 3

I'm sure this will be a great class folks have loved Laurie's teaching at Sander's recently.....if you are free on a Tuesday eve do go along!

I would be attending this class myself had I not only last Wednesday finally decided to sign up for ten Tuesday's Improvers classes at City Lit all paid for ..... so will see how that goes with Alexander Simpkins..... but would love a regular class with Laurie! 

The main reason I'm giving up the Sunday Rep is because of the travel issues largely ......(yesterday a case in point ....half as a bus journey anyway with cancelled trains on the way home and then had to stand from Clapham to Three Bridges as train was so crowded .....adding nearly two hours onto the journey!!) ....... so I just haven't been able to attend as often as is necessary when you are learning Rep to perform to an audience......you really do have to go weekly to get everything learned well enough to actually be able to dance it. So,it's with regret that I've pulled out ....though have also had a nagging knee injury since December which is only now just starting to get better and also a bit of a nagging partner who is not really that happy about regular Sunday commitment!! And I can't blame him because I'm up in London mid week every week as well!!! 

Otherwise Sanders Rep  class is a great opportunity in a really lovely studio to dance in ....especially for those who live more south of the River. 

Now if only I could persuade this class to be held on a weekday rather than a Sunday I would definitely rejoin!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Laurie - BalletFriends said:

Dear All! I’m super excited to announce Adult Ballet Class by BalletFriends is NOW officially OPEN to BOOK! EVERY TUESDAY 19:00 - 20:30 with Laurie McSherry-Gray, former soloist of Royal Ballet of Flanders. Held at the beautiful SIOBHAN DAVIES STUDIOS in Central London. 😃 I hope to see many of you there! Click link for tickets and details 👏 Laurie x https://balletfriends.co.uk/products/adult-ballet-class-by-balletfriends

Mods, I wonder if this might merit its own thread?

I am *vaguely* considering adding a Monday-evening class to my regular schedule for summer term, as I seem to be free every non-bank-holiday Monday except one.  Options currently look like Natalie Krapf's "Ballet: Introduction" course at The Place (previously mentioned favourably on this thread), or Adrian Look's "Ballet Beginners" course at Morley (which has the distinct advantage of being on my way home from work, but which hasn't been mentioned before on this thread given that it started out with me asking specifically about Tuesdays).  There's hardly any difference in cost per class, convenience, etc, and both seem to have availability.  I think there's a suitable Monday class at RAD as well, which isn't open for booking yet (I'm going by what was available for Spring term).

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

...or Adrian Look's "Ballet Beginners" course at Morley (which has the distinct advantage of being on my way home from work, but which hasn't been mentioned before on this thread given that it started out with me asking specifically about Tuesdays).

Actually just realised that there are two simultaneous Monday classes at Morley - this one, and one called "Ballet Introduction" (Tracy Burt is the teacher).  Both class descriptions imply that they are suitable for absolute beginners, so I might have to email to find out what the difference is!  Unless somebody here knows.

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:11, RuthE said:

Actually just realised that there are two simultaneous Monday classes at Morley - this one, and one called "Ballet Introduction" (Tracy Burt is the teacher).  Both class descriptions imply that they are suitable for absolute beginners, so I might have to email to find out what the difference is!  Unless somebody here knows.

I had a response.  I'm told the two are at much the same level, and the main difference is teaching style, with Adrian Look influenced by a background in contemporary and Tracy Burt by a background in classical jazz dance.

I also ran into a friend yesterday who urged me to try Natalie Krapf at The Place, on the basis of workshops she's done with her.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick and slightly off-topic (location-wise) question: a friend not on this forum, who did a fair bit of ballet as a younger adult but hasn't done so for years, is tentatively looking for a regular class near her home in the Putney area.  Please pipe up if you have any recommendations!

I took David Kierce’s class again this evening and (presumably because of the bank holiday weekend) it was a lot less rammed than usual - room for the whole class to do grands battements on the barre without having to do it half the class at a time, and lots of really good personal corrections. Also bumped into my barre buddy from my regular class who was sampling David’s class for the first time 🙂 Great way to spend a Thursday evening.

• Like 2

Hi Ruth - not that I’m nagging or anything 😏 (yeah, right) but I’d be really interested in your experience of Ms Frost’s and Mr Kierce’s classes. I recommend Hannah Frost’s classes a lot (and really like them myself) - but I’m not a beginner, so I’m interested in other people’s views. 

I like Hannah’s classes too :) 

I’m “old school” ballet and want corrections, structure and discipline for adult classes, rather than a social gathering. Hannah delivers, with a sense of humour ;) 

How many times in my life can I be told to pull my shoulders down 🙄... Clearly not enough! 🤪

• Like 6

Oh I feel your pain! I've been told probably every class I've taken. And ribs down. Hannah's most recent to me was "stop wriggling your hips." But isn't it lovely when she gives you a sideways nod as she walks past you in class? It makes me feel that all my hard work is paying off, to get that note of approval from her!

And yes, her classes might be "old school" but anyone who learns in them is learning clean precise technique, safely. I never feel that the atmosphere is oppressive, as you say her sense of humour is always there.  And I'm there to work and learn, not gossip ...

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1