Naomi M

Royal Ballet Japan tour June 2019

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

We don't know that, bridiem. Kevin O'hare did say at The Ballet Association that the RB was "doing something" (and The London Ballet Circle is planning an evening event on the 20th May).

So, maybe, when the time comes,  Fonteyn will be rightly celebrated.

Good for the LBC, capybara! But  the RB hasn't even made a 'save the date' announcement yet (and if it's a one-off the potential audience will be very limited). But I hope something materialises soon.

33 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Interesting. I see Campbell is partnering Naghdi instead of Magri in Don Q, presumably related to the apparent requirement that all the lead roles be danced by principals.

Yes the lead roles during the Japan Tour 2019 are only to be danced by principals (Sambe is Naghdi's partner in Don Q. here at the ROH but is replaced by Campbell for the Japan Tour).

• Like 1

Sorry I could not provide information as i had been very busy-

There is a more detailed page in Japanese where they show the headshots of the dancers expected.

https://www.nbs.or.jp/stages/2019/royalballet/cast.html

Now it says that Federico Bonelli and Nehemiah Kish will be on tour.

And there is a "Package ticket" that is, a set of all 8 performances in Tokyo for 200,000 yen with an autographed brochure of all the principals and a photo session on stage on your own with the dancers, invitation to the dress rehearsal and 8 drink tickets, tour T shirt.

https://www.nbs.or.jp/stages/2019/royalballet/index.html

• Like 1

The package works out at about £170 a ticket but with some really nice extras thrown in.

However, single tickets in the lowest  price bracket cost about £55.

I wish that the RB would offer the Gala format in the UK every once in a while - outside London as well as in London (at cheaper prices, of course),

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

The package works out at about £170 a ticket but with some really nice extras thrown in.

...but then add about £3000 travel and hotel expenses. Gulp!   😳

28 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

...but then add about £3000 travel and hotel expenses. Gulp!   😳

I know (!), but I was running a comparison with the ROH.

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I wish that the RB would offer the Gala format in the UK every once in a while - outside London as well as in London (at cheaper prices, of course),

'Great idea.  

• Like 1

On 03/11/2018 at 18:09, penelopesimpson said:

They take all those Principals to Japan to perform one of the worst ballets in RB's repertoire?

I beg to differ.  Well I would. Acosta's DonQ is one of my favourites second only to the Bolshoi. It's such a fun and happy piece. I felt I would be a poor fan if I didn't defend it. I hope Japan will like it. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I think there is going to be a London RB celebration but also suspect it may be expensive. 

If that is the case maybe they will televise it ... or do a live relay in the LIndbury or some such  ... 

• Like 1

Well I just bought tickets for the Royal Ballet when they visit Japan in June. I know it must be a huge cost to bring such a large company, costume, sets, etc such a long distance but my goodness, the tickets were eye wateringly expensive! £56 for the cheapest section and I dared to get the next section up which cost me £77.

I got one ticket for Don Q and as there were no tickets for the gala at all on the NBS website, I was forced to go to Viagogo where tickets in the section before the last were £109. Viagogo whacked on another ¥4250 (£29) for delivery and 2 tickets later I’d paid £297. I think we may rethink the weekend in Yokohama and just schlep in and back home for the performance.

I never complained about ticket prices at home and after I move back (thinking positively) to the UK  I swear I never will complain.  Now it looks like ramen lunches for next month or two after this spending spree. Eek 😬 

• Like 3