Royal Ballet Japan tour June 2019

Sorry I could not provide information as i had been very busy-

There is a more detailed page in Japanese where they show the headshots of the dancers expected.

https://www.nbs.or.jp/stages/2019/royalballet/cast.html

Now it says that Federico Bonelli and Nehemiah Kish will be on tour.

And there is a "Package ticket" that is, a set of all 8 performances in Tokyo for 200,000 yen with an autographed brochure of all the principals and a photo session on stage on your own with the dancers, invitation to the dress rehearsal and 8 drink tickets, tour T shirt.

https://www.nbs.or.jp/stages/2019/royalballet/index.html

• Like 2

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The package works out at about £170 a ticket but with some really nice extras thrown in.

However, single tickets in the lowest  price bracket cost about £55.

I wish that the RB would offer the Gala format in the UK every once in a while - outside London as well as in London (at cheaper prices, of course),

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

The package works out at about £170 a ticket but with some really nice extras thrown in.

...but then add about £3000 travel and hotel expenses. Gulp!   😳

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I wish that the RB would offer the Gala format in the UK every once in a while - outside London as well as in London (at cheaper prices, of course),

'Great idea.  

• Like 1

On 03/11/2018 at 18:09, penelopesimpson said:

They take all those Principals to Japan to perform one of the worst ballets in RB's repertoire?

I beg to differ.  Well I would. Acosta's DonQ is one of my favourites second only to the Bolshoi. It's such a fun and happy piece. I felt I would be a poor fan if I didn't defend it. I hope Japan will like it. 

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Well I just bought tickets for the Royal Ballet when they visit Japan in June. I know it must be a huge cost to bring such a large company, costume, sets, etc such a long distance but my goodness, the tickets were eye wateringly expensive! £56 for the cheapest section and I dared to get the next section up which cost me £77.

I got one ticket for Don Q and as there were no tickets for the gala at all on the NBS website, I was forced to go to Viagogo where tickets in the section before the last were £109. Viagogo whacked on another ¥4250 (£29) for delivery and 2 tickets later I’d paid £297. I think we may rethink the weekend in Yokohama and just schlep in and back home for the performance.

I never complained about ticket prices at home and after I move back (thinking positively) to the UK  I swear I never will complain.  Now it looks like ramen lunches for next month or two after this spending spree. Eek 😬 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 10/02/2019 at 23:12, Jam Dancer said:

got one ticket for Don Q and as there were no tickets for the gala at all on the NBS website, I was forced to go to Viagogo where tickets in the section before the last were £109. Viagogo whacked on another ¥4250 (£29) for delivery and 2 tickets later I’d paid £297. I think we may rethink the weekend in Yokohama and just schlep in and back home for the performance.

Beyond disgusted and a bit heartbroken to wake up this morning to an email from Viagogo saying that the seller can’t provide the tickets to the RB gala for which they took my nearly £300 back in February😡. Had I understood that there was any chance of this happening I would have kept on looking to get actual tickets instead of the imaginary ones that Viagogo is allowed to put up for sale. 

They are refunding the money I paid but it’s little consolation as it’ll take a miracle for me to get tickets at this late stage. 

I am thinking of trekking to Yokohama on the day but I know this would be nothing more than an exercise in futility - grrr.

40 minutes ago, Jam Dancer said:

Beyond disgusted and a bit heartbroken to wake up this morning to an email from Viagogo saying that the seller can’t provide the tickets to the RB gala for which they took my nearly £300 back in February😡. Had I understood that there was any chance of this happening I would have kept on looking to get actual tickets instead of the imaginary ones that Viagogo is allowed to put up for sale. 

They are refunding the money I paid but it’s little consolation as it’ll take a miracle for me to get tickets at this late stage. 

I am thinking of trekking to Yokohama on the day but I know this would be nothing more than an exercise in futility - grrr.

Are you able to read Japanese?

There is a Japanese ticket exchange/re-sale website where people post their extra tickets and some are selling tickets for the Royal Ballet's gala.

The rule is, you have to sell it no more than the retail price on the ticket. I often sell my extra tickets here. If you can use Japanese this is definitely worth trying.

https://okepi.net/dance/dance.aspx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jam Dancer said:

Beyond disgusted and a bit heartbroken to wake up this morning to an email from Viagogo saying that the seller can’t provide the tickets to the RB gala for which they took my nearly £300 back in February😡.

That is disgusting Jam Dancer.  How awful for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Are you able to read Japanese?

There is a Japanese ticket exchange/re-sale website where people post their extra tickets and some are selling tickets for the Royal Ballet's gala.

The rule is, you have to sell it no more than the retail price on the ticket. I often sell my extra tickets here. If you can use Japanese this is definitely worth trying.

https://okepi.net/dance/dance.aspx

Thank you Naomi!  I am semi literate so I should be able to pick my way through the site. I will definitely give it a try.

6 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Announcement from the Japanese impresario NBS that Akane Takada and Steven McRae are unable to perform during the Japan tour this June. 

Replacements are TBA. 

https://www.nbs.or.jp/publish/news/2019/05/post-799.html

Also Takada withdraws from Miyako Yoshida's farewell performance.

Hope the two of them will recover quickly...

Yes let's hope for speedy recoveries for them both. Often a favoured pairing, and certainly very memorable together  in Mayerling and La Bayadere last Autumn. I also love their recording of The Dream.

It must be particularly sad for Akane to miss performing in her home country. I believe she is seen as something of a superstar there, and her fans will be so disappointed. 

At least they now have some  4 months for recuperation before the start of next season....

• Like 3

Japanese impresario known as NBS is particular about principal rank dancer casting.

But there were few exceptions in the past.

Ricardo Cervera, first soloist, danced Alain.

Lise was Laura Morera, by the way.

Beatriz Stix-Brunell, soloist at that time, was casted as Alice.

Due to injury related reason, Yuhui Choe replaced Lauren Cuthbertson in the same role.

She was/is first soloist.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yumiko said:

Ricardo Cervera, first soloist, danced Alain.

Lise was Laura Morera, by the way.

Think you mean, Colas, Yumiko.   Ricardo was a very good one as I recall :) and he and Morera were always a truly delightful combo  ...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Also, the soloists, Espada, Mercedes, the Queen of the Dryads are announced as well.

June 22nd matinee  Naghdi,  Campbell → Magri replaces Naghdi

June 22nd evening and 25th  Takada, McRae → Naghdi, Sambe 

Reece Clarke is cast as Espada on June 23rd so they are supposing he will be back by then.  

2 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Also, the soloists, Espada, Mercedes, the Queen of the Dryads are announced as well.

June 22nd matinee  Naghdi,  Campbell → Magri replaces Naghdi

June 22nd evening and 25th  Takada, McRae → Naghdi, Sambe 

Reece Clarke is cast as Espada on June 23rd so they are supposing he will be back by then.  

Does this herald news of promotion(s) - (brackets because I’m not sure if matinees in Japan ‘demand’ Principals)?

Just read these words from KOH in The Japan Times :

Ryoichi has taken on the mantle from Edward Watson as the dramatic dancer of the company. 

Is this a joke ? 😕

Edited by MAX
  • Like 1

If that's what Kevin O'Hare believes, that would explain a lot :( (and needless to say, I'd heartily disagree with him).  Or perhaps he just means Hirano's been cast in a number of Ed's roles.

Isn’t this more a case of addressing a particular audience - a few words that play well with the home supporters, a bit like the football manager of an English team highlighting the Spanish star when playing in Madrid?

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Isn’t this more a case of addressing a particular audience - a few words that play well with the home supporters, a bit like the football manager of an English team highlighting the Spanish star when playing in Madrid?

I thought the same.

IIRC, a similar approach was evident from the RB/Kevin O'Hare when the Royal Ballet  was in Australia two years ago. It is also the case that Hirano does not have the main role in Don Q, so a bit of bigging up Espada doesn't come amiss. [He might have Vershinin, though????]

I am hoping that KO'H doesn''t start to believe what he is saying, because, good though Hirano is in certain roles (and he has developed further since becoming a Principal), he has not convinced (me) in some major roles. It is understandable that every Director has a particular fondness for the Principals he/she has created but that needs to be tempered with objectivity.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 6