Royal Ballet Japan tour June 2019

Royal Ballet Japan tour June 2019 has been announced on the Japanese impresario's site. But only the dates and dancers expected to participate. 

https://www.nbs.or.jp/publish/news/2018/11/2019-2.html

Don Quixote (Acosta)

June 21-26 2019

Tokyo Bunka Kaikan

Gala 

June 29,30 

Kanagawa Kenmin Hall (Yokohama)

Ticket booking starts in January.

Dancers expected to participate (principals)

Matthew Ball, Alexander Campbell, Lauren Cuthbertson, Francesca Hayward, Akane Takada,

Ryoichi Hirano, Sarah Lamb, Steven McRae, Laura Morera, Vadim Muntagirov, Yasmin Nagdi

Marianela Nunez, Natalia Osipova, Thiago Soares, Edward Watson  

Details TBA

• Like 2

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all Ian, no irony at all, no need for that is there.

My apologies for misspelling Naomi's name. 

I feel it is only out of respect for ANY dancer to ensure their name is correctly spelled, no?

Anna, the reason I put the errors out in bold is to clearly illustrate the misspelling. Unless nowadays putting something in bold is considered rude? In that case my apologies. 

• Like 1

Well if you click on Naomi’s link, the text is in Japanese. So either Ms Naghdi’s name has been incorrectly entered by the author of the article or there has been an error in translation back into English.  I’m sure no disrespect was intended either way. :)

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Anna C said:

Xandra, Naomi’s first language may or may not be English, but in any case I’m not sure you needed to point out her error in bold.  

Thank you, apologies, I am not an English native and the information is only provided in Japanese.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, bridiem said:

I did think it's a shame they're only taking Don Q. But I suppose there are the two gala nights.

Personally I wished there was another repertoire in their tour. But yes anyway there are 2 gala nights supposed so I hope there would be some great pieces in it. 

( and I wish I can edit my post to correct Yasmine's spelling!) 

• Like 2

Well mixed feelings on this... I’ll be in attendance at a couple of the performances for sure but sure wish they would’ve chosen something else. If I am really lucky perhaps Symphony in C will be one of the gala pieces. That’s two trips to Yokohama then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

Anyone have any idea why they are taking this pile of ...shall we say, not exactly wonderful ballet?  They did so well in Australia with Winter’s Tale and Woolf Works, plus there’s the new Swan Lake and the last run of Giselle was fabulous.

Well I suppose there are practical reasons in that it's in the current rep.

3 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Maybe the Japanese Tour Sponsors specifically asked for Don Q. to be performed? Maybe they know this is a ballet the Japanese audience will love? 

As far as I know I don't think so. Don Quixote is popular here but RB fans here were waiting for a RB specific repertoire such as MacMillan or Ashton (because we have a lot of opportunities seeing Don Q, Mariinsky is bringing DQ here this month and also a lot of domestic companies do this). Or the new Swan Lake should have been great. Or something like Scarlett or McGregor.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

i could wish for a little more information on Ed Watson.  He has now been out for a year and zi still have no idea if he is in recovery orr what is happening.  Anyone know what the injury was?

Yes, but as it's not in the public domain it can't be publicised here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Ah.  Seems to me they’ve just put all the Principals names down and will sort it out later.

Not quite, as they have left out Bonelli and Kish. But  this is not an announcement directly from the RB itself, so it is perhaps not wholly reliable - especially  at this early stage. 

Edited by Richard LH

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Some more details of the tour here (via Dansomanie)

https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/news/20181210-01.html

Interesting. I see Campbell is partnering Naghdi instead of Magri in Don Q, presumably related to the apparent requirement that all the lead roles be danced by principals.

I assume that the gala programme includes the pas de deux from Winter Dreams rather than the whole ballet, otherwise it would be a monumentally long performance. And how come Japan gets a tribute to Margot Fonteyn near the time of her birthday, and London doesn't?? (Or is something going to be cobbled together for London at the last minute?? If so it will probably be too little/too late and/or too expensive for many people to go.)

31 minutes ago, bridiem said:

And how come Japan gets a tribute to Margot Fonteyn near the time of her birthday, and London doesn't?? 

We don't know that, bridiem. Kevin O'hare did say at The Ballet Association that the RB was "doing something" (and The London Ballet Circle is planning an evening event on the 20th May).

So, maybe, when the time comes,  Fonteyn will be rightly and fully celebrated.

Edited by capybara

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

We don't know that, bridiem. Kevin O'hare did say at The Ballet Association that the RB was "doing something" (and The London Ballet Circle is planning an evening event on the 20th May).

So, maybe, when the time comes,  Fonteyn will be rightly celebrated.

Good for the LBC, capybara! But  the RB hasn't even made a 'save the date' announcement yet (and if it's a one-off the potential audience will be very limited). But I hope something materialises soon.

33 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Interesting. I see Campbell is partnering Naghdi instead of Magri in Don Q, presumably related to the apparent requirement that all the lead roles be danced by principals.

Yes the lead roles during the Japan Tour 2019 are only to be danced by principals (Sambe is Naghdi's partner in Don Q. here at the ROH but is replaced by Campbell for the Japan Tour).

• Like 1