bridiem

Francesca Hayward (and Steven McRae) to take lead role in Cats film

13 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

https://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/the-unknown-soldier-infra-symphony-in-c

The ROH announced last week that all her shows will be taken over by Naghdi, and this was corrected on the website. 

I see that the order has changed too, with The Unknown Soldier coming first. Presumably meaning that Naghdi is in Symphony in C on the dates when Hayward was supposed to be performing.

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

I see that the order has changed too, with The Unknown Soldier coming first. Presumably meaning that Naghdi is in Symphony in C on the dates when Hayward was supposed to be performing.

I don't think you can draw any conclusions from the order of the pieces, which is how it has been since before booking opened in July.

• Like 1

Will this take McRae out of the Don Q broadcast? Corrales anyone? It will necessitate a complete change of cast for their Nutcracker dates too...

Edited by Jamesrhblack

1 hour ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Will this take McRae out of the Don Q broadcast? Corrales anyone? 

I'd really like to see Sambe, Hay or Sissens get a crack at some of those whips .... Corrales has some pretty potent pairings as it is ... or even Ella ... or Zucchetti ... or Richardson .... Such strength in rank just now ... 

Speaking of which are Ella and Hay out?  I haven't seen them of late ... or is it they've just been in other performances than the ones I've been to.  I know Hay did the relatively early Bratfish ... which sadly I had to miss ... 

• Like 2

Maybe we should ask who else from RB auditioned and who may miss some time at the RB?

Guess this explains, why McRae didn´t revive his role at Frankenstein. Like with Hayward I am not afraid that the strong company has a problem to replace them for the few months. Hopefully a few from the soloists are getting chances like O`sullivan!

• Like 4

Richard LH stop nearly giving me a hernia 😂😂

• Like 2

More of Joseph Aumeer for me ...and Hay of course. But horses for courses does depend on the ballets etc.

• Like 2

It's not hard to see why they wouldn't go for it - it's a chance to be immortalised in a huge film and to be seen beyond a relatively niche audience. Very happy for them both.

• Like 2

Wow thanks Sunrise  the cast looks fantastic will definitely have to see it!! 

• Like 1

On 02/11/2018 at 10:10, Saodan said:

Best of luck to her, although it is a shame that this has come, presumably, at such short notice that Hayward has been forced with withdraw from the premier of a new work created on her only a few weeks before opening night.

I'm not sure if this has been noted previously, but Wayne McGregor is down to choreograph the film.

the original  choreo for Cats is quite balletic  - especially  for Victoria  which one assumes is the  role Ms Hayward will be playing  and  if you look back at  the people who have played Victoria   in various productions  they are generally  people with  fairly significant   ballet  training  

• Like 1

I've always thought Ballet dancers in particular were not so good at projecting their voices .....something to do with different way of breathing etc....but probably another one of those myths! 

44 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Anyone else ? Hopefully the RB is not going to be wholly depleted to accommodate these moggies. 

depleted ? 

given the company size of  RB   it's more going to be a chance for people to  move up to their next  logical step in terms of   seniority of casting. 

Any of the 'big 5' can cope with a  2 or 3  of their  more senior members being unavailable for  a period  

Northern has a more modest payroll  but  was touring both Musketeers and Puss  in  Boots in October   with  Javier away  guesting in Cuba ...  

Edited by Nicola H

2 minutes ago, Nicola H said:

the original  choreo for Cats is quite balletic  - especially  for Victoria  which one assumes is the  role Ms Hayward will be playing  and  if you look back at  the people who have played Victoria   in various productions  they are generally  people with  fairly significant   ballet  training  

It has been announced that Hayward is playing Victoria.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

I've always thought Ballet dancers in particular were not so good at projecting their voices .....something to do with different way of breathing etc....but probably another one of those myths! 

possibly less of an issue for a film ,   but  Victoria  does seem to be a role for a dancer who sings ,   while MT has the 'triple threat' ...  people  are either  one that  does the other  two competently  or  someone who does all three to 'quite good' 

3 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I'd thoroughly recommend you go to see Ashley Day in 42nd Street...

Let's call it a Day!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sunrise said:

Looking forward to hearing him sing too 😁

Does the role of Skimbleshanks require a lot of singing? I believe "his" song is actually sung by the other cats...Or maybe they write him another song too like they do for Hayward.

8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It is a bit difficult because of the breathing. When I took singing lessons I learned that I had to relax my belly so that you can breathe more deepily, but as a dancer you are just not used to it (it is a little bit more complicated, but you get the idea). Once you learn the trick to "relax" (or probably some can do it quite easy) it is up to your talent how well you can sing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

This thread is giving me earworms...

:rolleyes: Me too - I have been distracted enough by the Forum this lunchtime without starting to sing the whole of the Cats' score this afternoon!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

This thread is giving me earworms...

I had no earworms until you wrote it...now I have 4 different songs in my head, will try not to sing on the bus to home🙊🙉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Will this take McRae out of the Don Q broadcast? Corrales anyone? It will necessitate a complete change of cast for their Nutcracker dates too...

Yes.  It says on the website that he'll be back for Romeo. 

1 hour ago, Esmeralda said:

Guess this explains, why McRae didn´t revive his role at Frankenstein.

I assumed there had to be a reason, as I said when casting was announced.  I just didn't expect this reason!

I hope this is an end to it: it's starting to get a bit silly now!

• Like 6

So, who will be the next? Any guesses? Corrales was in Billy Eliott, Joseph Sissens was once in a musical too...I think Calvin Richardson were interested in musical theatre too when he was younger. Not sure with the ladies... Other candidates? 😂

47 minutes ago, alison said:

I hope this is an end to it: it's starting to get a bit silly now!

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more to follow :) 

• Like 1