Killing Eve.....

Quintus

Has anyone else been watching?  Having got hooked on this black comedy TV series, based around a psychopathic female contract killer, I was more than surprised to find that it originated from some novels by Luke Jennings, more familiar to Balletcoforum members as the dance critic of the Observer!  Maybe after writing his fiftieth review of Swan Lake he felt the need to let rip with some gore... We will not speculate as to whether he has drawn upon any ballet world personalities for the central character of Villanelle.

• Like 2

DH and I binged watched the whole series over the course of a few days.  I follow Luke Jennings on Twitter so knew he had created the characters in his Codename:  Villanelle novels.  I must say I thought the series was absolutely brilliant, as was the acting, especially by Jodie Comer.  Great cast, too.  I’m a huge fan of the scandi series The Bridge so was delighted to see Kim Bodnia in Killing Eve.

• Like 2

I started off really enjoying it, but think it's beginning to tail off a bit for me at the moment.  I did know it was coming, because I saw some reference to it on Jennings' Twitter feed, I think while it was being filmed.

53 minutes ago, Anna C said:

I must say I thought the series was absolutely brilliant, as was the acting, especially by Jodie Comer.  

She was very good in Thirteen too, where she also had an unsettling, edgy quality despite being the victim

• Like 1

Gosh this seems an age ago now!!

There were two really good series on at a similar time "The Bodyguard" and "Killing Eve"

I first heard about them via my Saturday ballet class as we often have a coffee afterwards and so I told my partner ....who rarely watches any sort of dramatic series ....and we got hooked and had to watch one a day of the Bodyguard to make it live as it were for that final episode. 

Similarly we started watching Killing Eve and thought we were behind with that so again watched one a day for a week and then the following Saturday I nearly let a few cats out of the bag as it was actually only episode three that day and we had just watched the whole series as it was all on Iplayer!! I thought Killing Eve was terrific and particularly Jodie Comer ......how she made such a terrible character sympathetic was amazing......I couldn't believe she was from Liverpool and has a Liverpuddlian accent ....I definitely had her down as at least half Russian!! 

It had a touch of a Joe Orton about it and it will be difficult to have a second series and keep the same impact I think. 

But I didn't think the writer was Luke Jennings .....I thought it was a female writer who was the actress/ writer in Fleabag....name escapes me....perhaps it was a collaboration.

I've just checked Phoebe Waller Bridge did the writing of the script for the actual TV series but this was based on the original books by Luke Jennings. I've never read the books but would be interesting to see if the main character comes across as did in TV show.

We had never watched Fleabag ....or even heard of it but were impressed with Phoebe Waller Bridge so then watched that series as well!!

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

We had never watched Fleabag ....or even heard of it but were impressed with Phoebe Waller Bridge so then watched that series as well!!

Not one to watch with the vicar perhaps, but I thought Fleabag was mostly very good -  the fourth wall busting glances to camera were an economical way of conveying a lot, and I liked the two sisters' complex relationship. The dead friend scenes were the only part that grated a bit. 

I think both Bodyguard and Killing Eve were so good because they were both so well cast especially in Killing Eve ...each character seemed perfect in their role.

Sad that Kim Bodnia character has been killed off but maybe if there is another series there will be more of the back story.......or....is he really dead?