The Royal Ballet: La Bayadère, London, November 2018

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Yes the order is a little mixed up for various dates on the summary page, however if you click on the date it confirms that it's not Yasmine that dances Nikiya but Boris Gruzin :lol:

Is Yasmine conducting?

• Like 14

OK, having finally made it home and had a much needed cup of tea, I now feel fortified enough to write a proper review!

To be honest, I didn’t expect to love it so much. It’s years since I saw it - it was the Royal Ballet, but in Plymouth, so they must have still been touring the provinces then, and I assume it wasn’t the Makarova version. I really couldn’t remember much about it except that Fiona Chadwick danced Nikiya (I particularly wanted to see her as she went to the same ballet school as me). No idea who danced Solor or Gamzatti but I remember not being blown away with it as a ballet.

So, I was delighted last night to be completely charmed by it. Yes, it’s a daft plot, yes, it’s very Victorian melodrama, but if you just go with it and accept if for what it is, it’s great fun, moving and colourful with plenty of opportunity for the Principals to shine.

And shine they did. Nunez was just beautiful - her technique and control are second to none, but she also put in an intensely vulnerable and moving performance. The pas de deuxs with Muntagirov sparkled with chemistry, and her solos were miraculously fluid.

What can I say about Muntagirov.... he was sublime. He was a noble, commanding, yet gentle Solor, which made his weakness when pressed to marry Gamzatti very believable. And his dancing....others can put in virtuoso performances but I have never seen anyone else with his mix of virtuosity and sheer beauty of movement and line and with so much natural grace, elegance and musicality. His solos were amazing (that sequence of double tours around the stage in Act 2 - eight in all, finishing in one of his heartbreaking arabesques - wow!). And his partnering of both his leading ladies was, of course, exemplary.

I’m not one of Osipova’s greatest fans generally but her performance of Gamzatti was spot on - arrogant, selfish, yet also needy and slightly desperate in her love for Solor. And of course a fantastic dance performance. She and Nunez were a heady mix when interacting onstage together.

And the corps de ballet were in absolutely top form especially in Act 2. That Shades entrance and the following sequence are real endurance tests for the dancers and must be exhausting to perform (especially for the first dancer on having to do all the arabesques - hats off to Romany Pajdak! 🙂), but they made it look so easy and it was captivating.

The three main Shades were as wonderful as you would expect from three such dancers (Takada, Naghdi and Choe).

I’m surprised the ROH couldn’t find a slightly more realistic looking tiger to sling from the pole at the beginning, though....😂

A rapturous audience reception, especially when Muntagirov went to the side of the stage to pull on Makarova, and it was thrilling to see her (and still very much the Prima Ballerina!).

I do hope the conductor was OK - he appeared to fall backwards over Marianela’s hedge of bouquets and took rather a hard tumble, much to everyone’s consternation.... he looked rather shaken but I’m hoping he suffered nothing worse than embarrassment! The audience gave him a rousing reception when he took his solo bow, anyway!

I took along my mother-in-law and two friends - none of them new to ballet but certainly not frequent attenders - so I feel I have done my bit towards bringing in a new audience whilst stubbornly remaining a regular! 🙂 They absolutely loved it and want to see it again at the cinema.

• Like 17

20 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

To be honest, I didn’t expect to love it so much. It’s years since I saw it - it was the Royal Ballet, but in Plymouth, so they must have still been touring the provinces then, and I assume it wasn’t the Makarova version.

That's the only version (of the whole thing) they've ever had :) 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I took along my mother-in-law and two friends - none of them new to ballet but certainly not frequent attenders - so I feel I have done my bit towards bringing in a new audience whilst stubbornly remaining a regular! 🙂 They absolutely loved it and want to see it again at the cinema.

Where they'll be able to see the same cast.  That is, unless they go to an Everyman, where it appears to be ABT performing:

https://www.everymancinema.com/film-info/roh-live-la-bayadere-2018-19-ballet   :D 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

OK, having finally made it home and had a much needed cup of tea, I now feel fortified enough to write a proper review!

Lovely review Balletfanp. Having travelled a long distance to see La Bayadere, you certainly managed to pick a very special performance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

^ it annoys me that the Guardian gave it 3 stars when their only criticism seems to be Muntagirov's lack of charisma (what planet are they on???) But yes, why they docked it two stars is a mystery given that the review is largely very positive. 

If that is a review written by Lindsay Winship it won't be worth taking seriously. 

4 hours ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

^ it annoys me that the Guardian gave it 3 stars when their only criticism seems to be Muntagirov's lack of charisma (what planet are they on???) But yes, why they docked it two stars is a mystery given that the review is largely very positive. 

I’m not sure that some critics entirely understand the concept of charisma. You don’t have to strut and over-project to have it in spades. For me, Muntagirov does.

• Like 2

If it's The Guardian, they are usually much more hung up on the so-called toffs in the audience than the art infront of them.

11 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

If it's The Guardian, they are usually much more hung up on the so-called toffs in the audience than the art infront of them.

What ? 

2 hours ago, Darlex said:

If that is a review written by Lindsay Winship it won't be worth taking seriously. 

Why ? 

Surely people feel charisma differently. I find Muntagirov's dancing thrilling but myself well, I don't find him particularly charismatic ...... 

Edited by annamk
Clarify
  • Like 2

Whilst Muntagirov is no Nureyev on the charisma front - but, then, who is? - I find that he brings his own brand of understated charisma. In his ENB days, whilst his dancing was sublime, his characterisation needed development. That soon changed and his nobility, generosity of spirit and overall breathtaking technique are imbued with a charisma all of their own.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Whilst Muntagirov is no Nureyev on the charisma front - but, then, who is? - I find that he brings his own brand of understated charisma. In his ENB days, whilst his dancing was sublime, his characterisation needed development. That soon changed and his nobility, generosity of spirit and overall breathtaking technique are imbued with a charisma all of their own.

Exactly. There is more than one type of charisma.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Exactly. There is more than one type of charisma.

And similarly there's more than one reading of whether a dancer has it or not?

I haven't yet been and I'm a big admirer of Muntagirov, but charisma is such an intangible quality that I don't think it's always straightforward to judge whether a dancer has it or doesn't, though some like Nureyev make it easier than others. For example, there's one celebrated principal (not Muntagirov) who others rave about on that front but leaves me cold, but I'm not unwise enough to say who here and now!

On the balance of probabilities I'll probably end up disagreeing with Lindsay Winship's view, but I utterly defend her right to voice it.

Edited by Lizbie1
minor corrections for clarity
  • Like 5

Sure- but I don't think rights really comes in to it here.....surely noone is trying to stop anyone expressing a view...just disagreeing strongly. I hope that's all right.

We all know there is inevitable subjectivity around our art form, but there is also a level of reasonable judgement of quality, based on having seen very many perfomances.

In my view,  to only give 3 stars to that performance shows a great error of judgement. I would ask myself- is this a critic whose judgement I would trust again? Answer: no.

• Like 4

Interesting though - can charisma really be subjective? Whether one responds to it or not is subjective, but I would have thought that its existence should be unarguable.

Perhaps some people resist responding for some reason and instead deny its existence.

Edited by bridiem
Last sentence added.

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Interesting though - can charisma really be subjective? Whether one responds to it or not is subjective, but I would have thought that its existence should be unarguable.

But if that's so and an experienced critic thinks that Muntagirov lacks it, where does that leave us?

7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Perhaps some people resist responding for some reason and instead deny its existence.

Just seen this edit: in that case, might some people see it where none exists?

I'll shut up on the subject now!

Edited by Lizbie1
typo
  • Like 1

Well if you haven't seen Corrales yet I would say he has charisma .....for me!! But Nureyev usually tops most people for it!! And it's very difficult to say why. Anthony Dowell was a much more classical dancer ....beautiful lines ....clean light jumps ....and still never seen him bettered in certain roles ....Oberon comes to mind as one....and he definitely had something .....I used to make a point of booking to see him anyway but it was Nureyev who had that additional something else ....he was just so present when on the stage....it's a slightly larger than life feeling? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

Just seen this edit: in that case, might some people see it where none exisits?

I'll shut up on the subject now!

Yes, I suppose that's possible! But where it is widely perceived, I think it would be reasonable to say that it exists. (Though I'm not offering that as a general principle!).

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Well if you haven't seen Corrales yet I would say he has charisma .....for me!! But Nureyev usually tops most people for it!! And it's very difficult to say why. Anthony Dowell was a much more classical dancer ....beautiful lines ....clean light jumps ....and still never seen him bettered in certain roles ....Oberon comes to mind as one....and he definitely had something .....I used to make a point of booking to see him anyway but it was Nureyev who had that additional something else ....he was just so present when on the stage....it's a slightly larger than life feeling? 

I seem to recall Nureyev describing Dowell as the finest classical dancer in the world. How wonderful if Corrales and Muntagirov can recreate even a little of the Nureyev/Dowell vibe.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

But if that's so and an experienced critic thinks that Muntagirov lacks it, where does that leave us?

Lucky ... because we see it!

I remember attending a performance about 5 years ago (NB not RB) and Luke Jennings was at the same performance.  He felt there was no character development by the leading male dancer and found his portrayal bland.  I was reduced to sobbing out loud because I found him so convincing in the role.

Horses for courses.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I seem to recall Nureyev describing Dowell as the finest classical dancer in the world. How wonderful if Corrales and Muntagirov can recreate even a little of the Nureyev/Dowell vibe.

I would say Muntagirov is definitely more of a “Dowell” than a “Nureyev.” Two completely different types of dancer, but both superlative - and charismatic - in their own way.

i don’t think you necessarily have to have that Nureyev flamboyance to have charisma. If a dancer grabs and holds your attention when they step onstage that’s a good start.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Looking at the ROH casting for Bayadere for Sat 3rd Nov they have got Takada, McRae, Naghdi which is what I thought it should be. However for Tues 6th and Saturday 10th Nov they have got McRae, Naghdi, Takada which seems to indicate Yasmine is dancing Nikya. I take it this is a mistake? I thought Yasmine was only supposed to be dancing Gamzatti and not alternating roles like Nunez and Osipova. Looking further down the casting the Ball/Cuthbertson/Magri casting appears to show Magri is dancing Nikya which must be incorrect. You think the ROH could ensure their wonderful new website doesn't make such elementary errors.

Quite!! World Class innit ? I quote......

• Like 2