The Royal Ballet: La Bayadère, London, November 2018

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Yes, I also mentioned earlier in the thread how happy she always looks, and what a good dancer she is.  To me, she looks more like Beatriz Stix-Brunell than Yasmine Naghdi!!

Indeed - though some have pointed out in the past that there is a certain resemblance between Naghdi and Stix-Brunell (for example when the two of them were cast together as Alice's Sisters).  I don't see it myself, beyond approximate height and colouring - they have quite different bodies and faces.

But I agree Leticia Dias looks very like Stix-Brunell, to the point that when I was watching class on the World Ballet Day YouTube feed I thought Dias was Stix-Brunell, until I spotted Stix-Brunell further along the barre.  It often takes me a while to put faces to names of the company's more recent junior joiners, and I had to scroll through the artist pages on the ROH website to find out who she was.

• Like 1

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How I found out who she was last season was that I saw her on the stage, didn't have my binocs as I usually do, spoke to Beatriz later and told her how good she had been that night.  Then she told me she hadn't been dancing that night, so she was very pleased at how good she was!!  :)  A couple of days later there Leticia was again, so I asked someone and they told me who she was.  I have been watching her ever since and am liking her more and more.  And Beatriz too, of course!!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, FrankH said:

In the absence of a real dead tiger (what a controversy if there was one!), why not simply omit the mirth making substitute? Would that alter the narrative in any way?

Well, yes, it's evidence of Solor's "warrior-ness".  He has to come on and announce that he killed the thing single-handed.  Probably too difficult to announce that he killed a few humans in battle.

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

I still feel rather cheated that Solor doesn't make his betrothal entrance on an elephant. Walking under a curtain isn't very warrior like at all. I suppose all the budget went on the last act

The obvious alternative, if the budget is that tight,  is of course  Peregrine,  the pony  from La Fille. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

The obvious alternative, if the budget is that tight,  is of course  Peregrine,  the pony  from La Fille. 

For a moment I thought you were suggesting that Peregrine should replace the tiger. 😂 I know Peregrine can be naughty but I’m not sure he deserves to be strung up!

• Like 9

Goodness have just got back from London and it's taken me an hour to read this thread from where I last read on Tuesday!!

I won't be saying much as have already given my view on this ballet so just a few comments on the casting for this performance (Tuesday) 

Having seeing Nunez and Osipova in both the roles of Nikiya and Gamzatti it's very close but just prefer the way around it was on Tuesday 

I personally didn't feel Nunez was too regal and found her performance just wonderful in the main solo ( at the betrothal) .....she is definitely one of the main dancers  I would study if preparing for this role ....and I loved Osipova as Gamzatti such a good actress great projection and expressive face and thought she played it just right for me .....sympathetic about the demise of Nikiya but not too emotional about it .....as she loves and wants Solor for herself ...perfectly understandable!! Especially when that Solor is Muntagirov!! 

Beautiful Muntagirov. I agree with a poster who said this role really suits him ....he plays it in a noble and understated way ....but with feeling and you can see ( or I could be imagining it) that he is so comfortable dancing with Nunez. 

Shades wonderful as before it's so amazing how that choreography perfectly fits the music as if Minkus and Petipa did it together.....with Naghdi and Takada as two new ones for me in the solo parts .....all completely on top of their game and Naghdi made that solo look SO easy! 

Just a word about the snake ...or lack of ..and that basket dance!  I was bemoaning earlier that the Royal miss the final frenetic bit of this dance out.....and that I think it's perfectly appropriate .....to express her joy ( as she thinks the basket has come from Solor) and on another thread here about another Bayadere ....where they do keep this bit in ....Geoff ( regular Forum contributor) said well at least that would wake the snake up and incur it's wrath enough to bite her!! So in view of the snakes obviously still asleep in the baskets in this run perhaps the frenetic bit should be reintroduced.

One last thing ....sorry I did say this would be short....as an amateur dancer when we give performance our tickets can sometimes cost between £12-15 depending on venue etc but on Tuesday I paid JUST £8 ( admittedly standing ....but sitting in the intervals) .......

£8 ......with a terrific view from stalls circle to see such gorgeous  dancing ...hear beautifully played music... and with beautiful sets ....what a privilege!!! 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Mummykool said:

This is a question that has fascinated me for years but I think after 30 years I have finally figured it out!  When they come off the ramp one dancer takes three steps forward and the one behind takes four so they are then on alternate legs.  (It took me years to figure that the dancers also change legs when they turn at the end of a 'row' by only taking three steps instead of four). The whole thing is so clever and totally magical, especially when it is performed as well as our excellent ladies of the RB corps have done this run. 

Regarding this very important question on how the Shades change to the alternate leg, there is a lovely clip on the ROH website which shows them rehearsing this.  They all start on the ramp on the right leg, taking 2 steps and into the arabesque.  Once they come off the ramp, as they are turning the lady swapping to the left leg for arabesque does 1 extra step, so that she does 3 steps into the arabesque.  The one remaining on the right leg does the normal 2 steps.  When each dancer gets to the end of a row, they put in 3 steps as they are turning to swap legs.  Glad I have sorted that out!  🙂

• Like 4

Yes I did notice the leg swap on the turns at end of row not so much coming off from the ramp.

I do hope Corrales injury isn't too serious .....its just that he has had a longish term injury before so hope it's not the same thing re occurring. He does really go all out in his performances ( a bit Osipova like) and dancers like this do often get injured more 

Anyway speedy recovery to him or Kevin O Hare will be tearing his hair out!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Regarding this very important question on how the Shades change to the alternate leg, there is a lovely clip on the ROH website which shows them rehearsing this.  They all start on the ramp on the right leg, taking 2 steps and into the arabesque.  Once they come off the ramp, as they are turning the lady swapping to the left leg for arabesque does 1 extra step, so that she does 3 steps into the arabesque.  The one remaining on the right leg does the normal 2 steps.  When each dancer gets to the end of a row, they put in 3 steps as they are turning to swap legs.  Glad I have sorted that out!  🙂

Thank you for explaining this, Fonty. I thought all the arabesques were done on the right leg and thought how agonising it must be.

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Great idea Richard- the word is that Peregrine has been feeling for a while that he doesn't get the roles..fears he's been typecast really as a one-trick pony. Come on Kevin, a promotion is overdue- or he'll be off - on an exchange contract with a foreign company, joining a West End show, doing Xmas ads, developing his modelling career, starring in an expensive book of photos, getting bit-parts in films,  making a pop video or - heaven forbid - exploring contemporary dance......(No, that last one is too far-fetched....) Peregrine fans need to get behind him...(not too close)

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Mary said:

Great idea Richard- the word is that Peregrine has been feeling for a while that he doesn't get the roles..fears he's been typecast really as a one-trick pony. Come on Kevin, a promotion is overdue- or he'll be off - on an exchange contract with a foreign company, joining a West End show, doing Xmas ads, developing his modelling career, starring in an expensive book of photos, getting bit-parts in films,  making a pop video or - heaven forbid - exploring contemporary dance......(No, that last one is too far-fetched....) Peregrine fans need to get behind him...(not too close)

Brilliant!! 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I loved Osipova as Gamzatti such a good actress great projection and expressive face and thought she played it just right for me .....sympathetic about the demise of Nikiya but not too emotional about it .....as she loves and wants Solor for herself ...perfectly understandable!! Especially when that Solor is Muntagirov!! 

Blimey! I wouldn't like to get into a love triangle with you, LinMM!! 😮 😁 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, alison said:

And according to the credits, when they finally appeared.  Most people had left the cinema by then, of course :) 

As usual, Wife and I were the only ones in there (except the cleaners) while the credits rolled!

On 14/11/2018 at 11:09, Petunia said:

and when Nunez does a supported jump, it never looks like Muntagirov lifts her up but rather tries to catch her before she flies away. What a glorious partnership this is. I’d buy the DVD in an instant...

pardon my jumping in, but is there a DVD in the works?

6 hours ago, Mary said:

The short piece I read about Peregrine recently (on the Sadler's Wells site) says he's now 21, and that if you see a professional Fille in the UK, odds are it's him. So he's just been in Belfast with BRB even, therefore unavailable as a mount for Solor. My fave was the BRB pony cam https://www.brb.org.uk/post/presenting-pony-cam of a stage call ..

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sophoife said:

The short piece I read about Peregrine recently (on the Sadler's Wells site) says he's now 21, and that if you see a professional Fille in the UK, odds are it's him. So he's just been in Belfast with BRB even, therefore unavailable as a mount for Solor.

Anyway I understand he has just  been signed up for "Cats" . 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Anyway I understand he has just  been signed up for "Cats" . 

Goodness he will find the McGregor style very different from the Ashton! Imagine him trying to do the Fred Step for Wayne: "No, no, no! More...earthy!" 😉

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Goodness he will find the McGregor style very different from the Ashton! Imagine him trying to do the Fred Step for Wayne: "No, no, no! More...earthy!" 😉

I'm afraid he'll have to improve his extensions too. Back to the barre, Peregrine!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I'm afraid he'll have to improve his extensions too. Back to the barre, Peregrine!

Based on some prior Peregrine sightings, you may, er, need to be very specific about what he's meant to be extending :blink:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, graemew said:

Failed the audition - he couldn't  sing (he was a little hoarse).

I don't think anything can top that - short, relevant and a classic :lol:.

And, back on topic, any insights on who the three shades will be tonight?