The Royal Ballet: La Bayadère, London, November 2018

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Luke Jennings should perhaps concentrate on getting the act correct when referring to the Shades

Thanks Sim - I tried to make that point on the Guardian webpage where another poster argued Luke Jennings was correct as the original La Bayadere was in 4 Acts.  But the literature for the Royal Ballet's Makarova production very much describes the production as being in 3 Acts and highlights the Shades as being in Act 2.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Thanks Sim - I tried to make that point on the Guardian webpage where another poster argued Luke Jennings was correct as the original La Bayadere was in 4 Acts.  But the literature for the Royal Ballet's Makarova production very much describes the production as being in 3 Acts and highlights the Shades as being in Act 2.

Well done John.  Jennings isn't reporting on the original Bayadere.  He is reporting on the RB Makarova version, and that is in three acts, with the Shades being Act 2.  It is what he has seen onstage that he is reporting on, not what other versions might do!!  

• Like 3

How exciting about tonight's performance. I hope everyone at the Opera House and in cinemas has a wonderful time. 

I can't wait until Friday when I go. I am going to stick my neck out and hazard a guess that Gamzatti suits Osipova best and Nikiya suits Nunez best but happy to be proved wrong. How lucky we are to have the opportunity to see this swap.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

Finally, can anyone confirm if the Royal Ballet have performed the Nureyev version of the shades act since they took the Makarova full-length version into the rep? I can't recall their doing so, but I may be mistaken.

I'm almost positive the answer's no.

Well, I hope everyone enjoys it tonight.  Because of getting delayed at the office, and the Vue website malfunctioning when I tried to book farther away, I'm afraid I'm stuck with my local, exorbitantly-priced cinema, which is a very poor environment for watching live relays :(   When we get some better cinemas around this area, they won't see me for dust!

I’m surprised there are more people here in Bath tonight than there was for Swan Lake! 😯

I’m really enjoying the Nunez/Osipova line up, I had originally hoped it would be Osipova/Nunez but this is great 

I loved seeing the close up of Gamzatti’s second dress during the build up, I had no idea it  had such detailing. 

Did anyone get notified of Thomas Whitehead taking over from Christopher Saunders? 

5 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

It's not the first time Luke Jennings (seemingly) takes every possible opportunity to be strangely critical of the RB. Does he have a hang up somewhere? His reviews over the past few years have been strange to say the least. I used to enjoy reading his reviews in the past, found them balanced and intelligent but in recent years there is always a bitter undertone in his critic. I no longer read his reviews. 

It seems like a rather apologetic excuse for a non-review to suit the 21st century liberal values of the newspaper rather than making good use of column inches to actually review the ballet. Not everything they write about needs to be political. 

• Like 4

Yes -  I cycled home on a  fluffy cloud under a beautiful crescent moon.

Honestly I think the best thing I have seen all year, or perhaps for some years. Perfection. ....it DID live up to the first night and seeing it close up was just wonderful. What a cast, what a corp and briliant ensemble work all round. Muntagirov  like a being from another planet- the incarnation of a classical ideal; Nunez was heart-rending and Osipova a phenomenon. A DVD!!

• Like 12

Great performance, shame about the cinema :)   Also sorry that it showed up so dark (Act I Scene 2 surprised me, as I'd always perceived it as well-lit) - the sets are SO beautiful when you can see them properly!

Oh, and did someone drop a tealight?  I heard noises off, but the camera was showing close-ups at the time.

• Like 1

Loved it.  Three fabulous leads, the Shades exquisite, and a special thanks to Gary Avis's High Brahmin - such a wonderful character artist and so much more convincing in the role than Saturday's matinee.  Also I've been meaning to say how much I've enjoyed Sergei Levitin's violin solos.  The cinema extras were excellent, particularly Samantha Raine and the Shades.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, alison said:

Great performance, shame about the cinema :)   Also sorry that it showed up so dark (Act I Scene 2 surprised me, as I'd always perceived it as well-lit) - the sets are SO beautiful when you can see them properly!

Oh, and did someone drop a tealight?  I heard noises off, but the camera was showing close-ups at the time.

Yes, they did, but it was expertly retrieved! A (very) small blemish on a memorable evening.  There can’t have been many better casts, and corps, in the previous 130 performances of this production.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mary said:

Yes -  I cycled home on a  fluffy cloud under a beautiful crescent moon.

Honestly I think the best thing I have seen all year, or perhaps for some years. Perfection. ....it DID live up to the first night and seeing it close up was just wonderful. What a cast, what a corp and briliant ensemble work all round. Muntagirov  like a being from another planet- the incarnation of a classical ideal; Nunez was heart-rending and Osipova a phenomenon. A DVD!!

I tubed home under harsh artificial light. Other than that, I echo Mary's comments to the word. Such brilliance and beauty. Indescribable.

• Like 3

I am so pleased everyone enjoyed it so much. I sooo hope they release a DVD of this stellar cast. 

Candles have been dropping at almost every performance I have been to in this run...are they using a different polish or something?!  Last week three different dancers dropped them in the same performance.  😱

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I understand the presenters will be Darcey Bussell and Petroc Trelawny

Please bring back Deborah Bull.

No matter what RB is performing, who is dancing, if it happens to be raining?? - Darcey will always manages to talk about herself. 🤪

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Sharon said:

Please bring back Deborah Bull.

No matter what RB is performing, who is dancing, if it happens to be raining?? - Darcey will always manages to talk about herself. 🤪

But she also talks generously about the performance too. I'm sure she's been asked to talk about her own experiences of performing whenever possible - that's at least partly why she's there. I don't usually find her very illuminating, but I think she's very charming and very personable.

• Like 3

But apart from Darcey. I absolutely loved tonight's performance - the whole company were fantastic. I was looking forward to seeing Yasmine Nagdhi dance my favourite variation - I've never seen anyone perform it so well since Viviana Durante.

And after seeing Corrales, who I liked - and McRae, I wanted to see Muntagirov, and he didn't disappoint.

Of course the corps were fantastic, despite the stumble in act 1.

But for me the highlight of tonight's performance was Marianela Nuñez - my God she was utterly beautiful. I really preferred her Nikiya than Osipova. Osipova suits Gamzatti much more. In my opinion anyway. I just hope there will be a DVD.

• Like 7

I'm actually equally happy with Nunez or Osipova as Nikiya or Gamzatti. They are both absolutely phenomenal in both roles. And with Muntagirov as Solor, all is right with the world. What a trio/triumvirate/trinity. And what a company.

• Like 11

I also thought the Shades corps exceptionally exceptional (!) tonight, as were the three solo shades. Naghdi had something- I almost hate to say it as it’s such a cliché - Fonteyn about her. But not just Fonteyn it was more than that, it breathed 40’s/50’s ballerina. It was the final position, and the way she moved into it. It was momentarily like looking at a b/w photo Vic Wells Ballet...perhaps I’d inhaled some of Solor’s opium!

Edited by Vanartus
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Candles have been dropping at Ing at almost every performance I have been to in this run...are they using a different polish or something?!  Last week three different dancers dropped them in the same performance.  😱

And just think, we have The Firebird still to come in this season ... :D 

• Like 6

Another great performance although for me not up there with seeing Takada, Naghdi and McRae live. 

The lighting of the stage was dark and very patchy so that dancers kept disappearing. This was true to a degree when we saw La B live  but when seen on the screen the problem was even more apparent. The temple destruction was virtually restricted to seeing the candles moving about. 
Nunez is a wonderful dancer and I love her Gamzatti on the recording with Rojo and Acosta, but I thought she played Nikiya rather too regally (rather more like  playing Gamzatti) to be convincing as Makarova's "child of the jungle and the temple". I thought her dancing was a bit too sophisticated and lacked Takada's lyricism and vulnerablilty.  I thought Muntagirov still a bit lacking in the acting department; Osipova perhaps a bit over the top in that respect (not quite sure that a "whatever" shoulder shrug is a classical ballet move!).
The beautiful corps in the shades, and in the other group dances, plus the 3 "special" shades, were the highlights for me. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Nunez is a wonderful dancer and I love her Gamzatti on the recording with Rojo and Acosta, but I thought she played Nikiya rather too regally (rather more like  playing Gamzatti) to be convincing as Makarova's "child of the jungle and the temple". I thought her dancing was a bit too sophisticated ...

A truly magnificent performance . We are witnessing a very special time in this company’s already illustrious history. There really is no weakness in this casting at any level. On reflection, I agree with Richard regarding Nunez’s portrayal of Nikiya. This is no way detracts from the quality of her performance - her dancing is a joy to watch and there are clear nuances in her interpretation which convinces me of the purity of her love for Solor in contrast to those of Gamzatti, but yes, there is a mature, assurity to her character in act 1 that perhaps does not sufficiently set her apart from her rival. 

Did anyone have any issues with the cinema projection? My viewing experience at Bromsgrove Artrix was spoilt by appearing to be missing off a tiny section of the bottom of the stage resulting in quite a few shots missing the dancers’ feet! Also some erratic problems with the clarity of the image, resulting in a fuzzy effect, particularly in wide angle shots. Not sure if this was a problem with the cinema or the relay.

• Like 5