The Royal Ballet: La Bayadère, London, November 2018

• John Mallinson changed the title to The Royal Ballet: La Bayadère, London, November 2018
  • Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Mary said:

Muntagirov!!!!!!!

I was hoping he'd be this good. I've imagined seeing him as Solor ever since he came to the RB and now I'm so close to seeing him (Next Thursday) I've been slightly worried the reality wouldn't live up to my expectations but it looks as if my fears were groundless. How could I ever doubt him!

• Like 4

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at the photocall for the Marianela Nunez, Vadim Muntagirov and Natalia Osipova cast...

45615908972_ecdfb5dd15_z.jpg
Marianela Núñez in La Bayadère
© Foteini Christofilopoulou/ROH. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

45615907792_783cda9810_z.jpg
Natalia Osipova in La Bayadère

44752034185_e96cc2a761_z.jpg
Alexander Campbell in La Bayadère

See more...
Foteini Christofilopoulou: Royal Ballet in La Bayadère
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 12

Muntagirov was simply sublime ballet heaven. Poised. Precise. Strong. High. Breathtaking. Commanding presence. But also sweetly yearning . Just perfect and divine chemistry with Nunez on top form...hard to write much on phone but get a ticket!

• Like 18

Isn't this the Live Cinema casting too?

I would have loved to see Marianela but my wife Barbara complained that as much as she enjoys Nela too, she should be allowed to choose Steven "just for once". Multiple visits are not really on the cards because of travel costs on top of tickets. However, having given in this once, I should be able to return to Marianela exclusivity for another couple of years. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, graemew said:

Isn't this the Live Cinema casting too?

I would have loved to see Marianela but my wife Barbara complained that as much as she enjoys Nela too, she should be allowed to choose Steven "just for once". Multiple visits are not really on the cards because of travel costs on top of tickets. However, having given in this once, I should be able to return to Marianela exclusivity for another couple of years. 

Go to the cinema performance. !!!!!!!

• Like 5

Osipova has improved year on year as she has become more used to the ways of the RB and seemingly more a part of the Company. Nothing to do with her dancing per se but more about the relationship with other cast members on stage which in turn lifts her dance. Loved her in Anastasia. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Go to the cinema performance. !!!!!!!

Oh we will Tony! We go to them all, even if we have seen the same cast "live". Apart from the odd criticism about the cameras being too close from time to time, the revelations live cinema gives makes up  for the restricted detail observable from the Ampi.

• Like 2

I'd been looking forward to La B, but only as a load of hokum with a beautiful Act 2. More fool me. This was stupendous!! Nunez, Muntagirov and Osipova were all so brilliant that they even made me care about the characters, and the whole ballet is chock full of dancing, dancing, dancing. Nunez meltingly beautiful and so fleet of foot and heart; Muntagirov everything Mary has described - just perfect; and Osipova glittering, evil, jealous, but also, in her way, heartbroken. All three sensational technically. Campbell an excellent (but in my view rather wasted) bronze idol. The shades: a beautiful, poetic realisation of Solor's anguish and his love, and stunningly danced, like sighs of sadness streaming slowly onto and across the stage. And at the end: the worst wedding day ever - Solor distraught, Gamzatti despairing, and then the apocalypse. And the final vision of heavenly peace and unity in love.

How the company can go straight from Mayerling to this God only knows.

Makarova came on for a call and got a great ovation, as did the whole cast.

Just wonderful.

• Like 23

An astonishing performance of real classical quality by the whole company - and that only 2 days after finishing an extraordinary run of Mayerling.

I thought that all 3 leads were superlative. The ballet is really Solor's story - and what a Solor we had tonight in Muntagirov. Loved the way he led Makarova on at the end too.

• Like 15

I can only concur with the above comments. A truly special night with all three leads at the very apex of their art.  No weak links here, or anywhere. Miss Makarova looked thrilled and proud....how could she not, after a performance like that?!    Truly breathtaking and deeply moving in so many ways.  Congratulations to all.  

• Like 14

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

The shades: a beautiful, poetic realisation of Solor's anguish and his love, and stunningly danced, like sighs of sadness streaming slowly onto and across the stage. 

Bridie this is the most beautiful description of the Shades I have ever read.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Let's hope they can keep that level for the cinema broadcast, then!

And let's hope that they have fixed the film of the temple being destroyed by then....it didn't happen tonight and it was much less clear what was going on it you didn't already know!  It worked fine at the rehearsal.

• Like 3

Still feeling too emotional to write anything and anything I could write couldn't come close to what has already been said. My goodness, the company is on fire! From the corps, through the soloists to the incomparable leading ladies. With Mr Muntagirov weaving Va-dreams beyond belief. And now to bed ...

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Sim said:

Bridie this is the most beautiful description of the Shades I have ever read.

Thank you, Sim. I'm sure it wasn't an original image , but worth expressing anyway.

Still awestruck by last night's performance.

• Like 2

It was a wonderful night and a very special atmosphere! Actually it was my first open night at ROH ever and I don´t think I could have chosen better (and thanks to my sister in law who was so nice to give me this fantastic ticket)...I am still speechless how RB went from an absolute stunning last Mayerling to an amazing night of La Bayadere - a different dramatic, a different tragic, but so wonderful to see. All the three leads were exceptional and Campbell was a great bronze idol. The corps were beautiful and in such a great shape but also a big thank you to every other dancer! All the applause so well deserved! RB was on fire last night, a night to remember!

Is the cinema release also with Nunez as Nikiya and Osipova as Gamzatti or is the other way around? The casting on the page is so mixed that I am not sure anymore who will dance who on which date....

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Esmeralda said:

Is the cinema release also with Nunez as Nikiya and Osipova as Gamzatti or is the other way around? The casting on the page is so mixed that I am not sure anymore who will dance who on which date....

The cinema screening is the same cast as last night. Can't wait!

• Like 6

I think we've discussed on the forum before the strange phenomenon, when a performance is so perfect you almost do not want to see it again- but just to retain that mental image. I feel like that about last night.

However, the idea of it all again close up - possibly twice with an encore showing- is too good to resist.

And I have several of Muntagirov's solos stored in my brain, which I think might still be there when I'm 101 and an awful lot else has fallen by the way side..I hope so.

I am not sure any cast can be better than what we saw- but they will have their own intrinsic beauties, and the corps are so good at the moment- the way the whole company are working together -so worth seeing other casts just for that.

• Like 8

I am looking forward to seeing this cast in the cinema.

With this cast we get two highly experienced, older female principals plus the glorious Muntagirov plus two young female Principals and a First Soloist as Solo Shades. 

I am very much looking forward to seeing the two younger principals' take on Nikiya and Gamzatti. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, graemew said:

Hope Saturday's cast  keeps up this very high standard. My wife will argue, being a supporter of Steven, that it will be even better. But without Ms Nunez.......?

Steven better than Vadream?? I don’t think so.  

• Like 11

I think it is not right nor fair to even want to consider "comparing" two older, highly experienced principals - who have danced the role numerous times in their career - to two younger Principals making their debut. 

They will both make the role of Nikiya and Gamzatti their own and no doubt they will be glorious in their own way too.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

With this cast we get two highly experienced, older female principals plus the glorious Muntagirov plus two young female Principals and a First Soloist as Solo Shades. 

Who were....?

8 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

They will both make the role of Nikiya and Gamzatti their own and no doubt they will be glorious in their own way too.

They (presumably Takada and Naghdi) will be wonderful too. That's what makes that cast unmissable too.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4