Berlin State Ballet School application info

flying_in_the_dark

Hi there, my daughter (12yrs) is currently trained in Russian Ballet method and has recently decided that she would like to go overseas to full time vocational school at 14yrs (gulp!). 

After the initial shock, we are trying to look into some realistic options as most schools are complicated by the language barrier and secondary school certificates. 

My daughter studies German, and is quite game to study a lot harder and improve her German language. Fortunately she is quite good at languages and her German teacher thinks this is possible. 

So my big question is about Berlin State Ballet School and their application process- at what point does she have to take the German language test, and what level does she need to be? I know that the school takes international students but I'm unsure about how and if that happens midway through lower school..? 

I've tried looking on their website, but I don't really understand what they mean about aptitude test, and when they would actually look at her dance! 

Any advice or info regarding Berlin State ballet school would be much appreciated. We are obviously looking at others but this is one of our first choices

From reading the school's website, the aptitude test is the dance audition. First submit the application form, with video, and with copies of her last two school reports (Schulzeugnisse translates to certificate here but it's actually a report), then if they're interested they'll give an audition date.

As far as the CEFR test or proof thereof is concerned, why not email them and ask? I'm pretty sure they'll provide an English-language email reply.

• Like 1

I know of kids from Australia who have moved to different German ballet schools.  Typically they have never learnt German.  Nothing like full immersion for great results when learning a language.  The schools are used to this and the kids are highly motivated.

• Like 1

The ones I am thinking of were 14 through to 16 years old.  

I have heard lately of a 12 year old boy going to John Cranko from Australia.  I think there is a desire to bring in students at a young age so that they can be fully trained in the school's style.  I'd say that some schools in Germany are more experienced with and better set up for young intl students than others.  You can probably see this in the effort they make outlining what is on offer, e.g. in English, on their website.

Your daughter doesn´t need to speak german to go to Berlin, they are mainly interested how she dances😉. But it probably helps a lot to settle down if she already can speak it a little bit, but when I went to vocational school we had even 2 or 3 students who didn´t speak even English at all and it wasn´t a real problem. And if she lives here (in Germany or Austria) she will learn the language very fast (they all do, don´t worry!). Also if Berlin (or Stuttgart, Hamburg, Dresden) like her, they will take her at any time (there is also Munich, but they have no boarding school). Vienna is also taking international students at any time as fas as I know. I am not even sure if she has to take a test for the language while she is at school, maybe she needs to proof her German skills if she wants to do the Bachelor academic grade for stage dancer (but I went to vocationalschool more than 10 years ago, so maybe my knowledge is not completely updated).

The new boarding rooms in Berlin are very nice!

Sophoife already explained what your daughter needs to do to get an audition.

• Like 2

Thank you Esmerelda. This is all really helpful and reassuring. And I hadn't realised there were different language requirements for the BA. The more people I speak to the more people I hear of who have done it before! It feels very scary as a parent even contemplating schools overseas and I really appreciate everyone's comments 

My DS was In Munich for a year, now in Hamburg. Would NOT recommend Munich for under 16’s! They’re not really set up for international students at that age. 

Most ballet students in Germany attended a local school- only Berlin has school included. The state pays for German classes, no test unless you enter into “Oberstufe”(yr 11/ sixth form) and/ or for Bachelor , then a proficiency test is required after a year. Remember they loose a year - German kids start school at 6, so are a year behind. Worked out ok for us, as it gave him a year to learn German properly without falling behind in school. Might be a problem going back though, if it doesn’t work out. 

DS is very happy in Hamburg, the school staff is efficient and concerned, the boarding staff seems very nice ( not a boarder, though). 

Applications- you can attend auditions, or as overseas student, send a video first, to see if they will consider her at all ( we applied there last year, he was rejected, as they thought he’d stay too short). 

All german schools have far fewer boarding spaces than they have students, so she might well be offered a place, but no bed. However, the whole experience is a lot cheaper then in the U.K.- schooling is free, the ballet education is heavily subsidised, so the main expense would be boarding. Unless you’re on a very low income and in receipt of an MDS, that works out way less than U.K. boarding schools. HTH , all the best

• Like 2

• 3 months later...