Sign in to follow this  
Don Q Fan

ROH: Winter season public booking 2018-19

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks for the replies. They sound fairly reassuring. I gather that it's fairly short too, so if I hated it at least it wouldn't be for long!

Hi Dawnstar. I am sure that if you already enjoy ballet, you will also enjoy Asphodel Meadows. You certainly won't suffer! I remember it was beautiful, but not 'wow' and it is certainly non-narrative. Pigeons, on the other hand, has a story that is easy to follow, and is packed with dancing, colour and humour. 

When I made my original post I was thinking more along the lines of if I was taking someone to their very first ballet. 

• Like 1

I've only seen Ashphodel Meadows once quite a while back but remember liking it....music ...costumes ...etc it was just generally pleasant I seem to remember but will be interested to see it again to see how I feel on a second viewing....in fact I'm going twice to Two Pigeons just so I can see it with Ashphodel Meadows as well as the Royal Ballet students.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LinMM said:

in fact I'm going twice to Two Pigeons just so I can see it with Ashphodel Meadows as well as the Royal Ballet students.

Me too 🙂

• Like 1

I can't remember a single thing about Ashphodel Meadows, perhaps I missed it, I doubt it though, I was hoping it was the abstract but very atmospheric ballet in Victorian costumes, can anyone remember that one?  

17 hours ago, Darlex said:

Hi Dawnstar. I am sure that if you already enjoy ballet, you will also enjoy Asphodel Meadows. You certainly won't suffer! I remember it was beautiful, but not 'wow' and it is certainly non-narrative. Pigeons, on the other hand, has a story that is easy to follow, and is packed with dancing, colour and humour. 

When I made my original post I was thinking more along the lines of if I was taking someone to their very first ballet. 

Well, I enjoy some ballet but I've never seen anything by a living choreographer apart from the Winter's Tale cinecast, which of course is narrative, so I'm decidedly apprehensive about something that is both modern and non-narrative. I did watch the Infra insight evening livestreaming recently & didn't like that style of choreography at all so I'm hoping that Scarlett does not share too many choreographic traits with McGregor.

16 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Well, I enjoy some ballet but I've never seen anything by a living choreographer apart from the Winter's Tale cinecast, which of course is narrative, so I'm decidedly apprehensive about something that is both modern and non-narrative. I did watch the Infra insight evening livestreaming recently & didn't like that style of choreography at all so I'm hoping that Scarlett does not share too many choreographic traits with McGregor.

He doesn't! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

He doesn't! 

Oh good! Anyway, I've just booked - for the first night, which has what looks like the most appealing cast line-up - so thank you everyone who advised.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh good! Anyway, I've just booked - for the first night, which has what looks like the most appealing cast line-up - so thank you everyone who advised.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts about it, Dawnstar!

• Like 1

True to recent form I can't find any timings for the 2 Pigeons / Asphodel Meadows mixed bill on the ROH website - can anyone help with the lengths of the component parts?

Still waiting for my promised email regarding running time from the new Roh customer complaints/info office.......only 10 days - how are we meant to book our homeward transport coming from welsh Wales....... unbelievable!!

In 2011, Asphodel Meadows was 25 mins. Last run of Two Pigeons, the times were: Act 1 - 30 mins, Interval - 20 mins, Act 2 - 35mins. Allow a 25 mins interval between the two and you have 2h 15 mins. Maybe... I’d give it 2h 30 mins to be safe. 

• Like 1

On 06/01/2019 at 13:00, Lizbie1 said:

True to recent form I can't find any timings for the 2 Pigeons / Asphodel Meadows mixed bill on the ROH website - can anyone help with the lengths of the component parts?

If it's any help, I've just had an email through from the ROH giving the following timings for the first night.

Approximate performance timings:
Act I 7pm - 7.25pm (25 minutes)
Interval (30 minutes)
Act II 7.55pm - 8.30pm (35 minutes)
Interval (20 minutes)
Act III 8.50pm - 9.25pm (35 minutes)

Approximate end time: 9.25pm

• Like 1

Presumably on 7.30 start nights it would finish at 9.55 pm then 

Okay, running shoes on for the noon Saturday matinee, then!

• Like 1

Why do you need to run Alison .....have you got train probs on that day then?

Manon matinee at the Coliseum at 2.30 :)  - or not.  I haven't decided yet, but quite possibly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Manon matinee at the Coliseum at 2.30 :)  - or not.  I haven't decided yet, but quite possibly.

5 minutes from ROH to Coli - no problem!

After Manon you could take a leisurely stroll back up to the ROH for the Queen of Spades - there are  a few tickets left for only £215.... 

Edited by Richard LH

5 hours ago, alison said:

Sure there will be a few of us attempting it!

Oh good ;)   [that was a reference to the "bargain-price" opera tickets!]

5 min from ROH to Coli is surely from the outside of the buildings, not allowing for bag searches and the like?

4 hours ago, alison said:

5 min from ROH to Coli is surely from the outside of the buildings, not allowing for bag searches and the like?

The Coli bag searches this afternoon took between 5 and 10 minutes of queueing.

9 hours ago, capybara said:

The Coli bag searches this afternoon took between 5 and 10 minutes of queueing.

I think at 2.30pm most people will have had their bags searched and be in their seats - so I wouldn't anticipate a queue. 

I'm not expecting to get there in time but will make a dash for it in the hope that I do. My seat is a £10 one and if I don't make act 1 I'll content myself with 2 and 3. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RHowarth said:

I think at 2.30pm most people will have had their bags searched and be in their seats - so I wouldn't anticipate a queue. 

I suspect you would be bitterly disappointed, then :)  (the queues have been right to the end of the block at times when I've been past).  Anyway, they'll probably let you in late and allow you to stand at the back.