Verdi's Requiem 23rd October, ROH

Sim

I was lucky enough to be present at this absolutely wonderful performance of this Requiem on Tuesday night.  It gave me tears and goosebumps in equal measure, especially when two trumpeters came to stand just inside the side amphi doors on both sides of the hall to play during the Dies Irae section.  So effective and breathtaking!

It was broadcast on Radio 3 so I highly recommend that anyone who likes or loves this piece listen to it.  Of course it won't sound the same as seeing it live,   but people I know who listened on the night said it sounded pretty darn good!! 

• Like 1

• Sim changed the title to Verdi's Requiem 23rd October, ROH

A review:

https://www.theartsdesk.com/classical-music-opera/verdis-requiem-royal-opera-pappano-review-all-heaven-allows

In passing I note that the usually awful brass section just showed that they can do fine when they want to. Is it because they practice more before such an event; stay sober; try harder; or (whisper it who dares) substitute players are brought in on special occasions?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thanks Geoff....for once I agree with every word a critic says!  Lise Davidsen was sublime. 

I’d have booked if I’d known she was singing: as it was I don’t think her substitution for Krassimira Stoyanova was ever announced,as far as I’m aware. 🙄

Ticket buyers received emails informing them of the substitution, but not sure if it was put on the ROH website or not.  The way things have been going, I very doubt they would have been together enough to do so.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sim said:

Ticket buyers received emails informing them of the substitution, but not sure if it was put on the ROH website or not.  The way things have been going, I very doubt they would have been together enough to do so.

I can’t see anything about it in the news section. Do you recall when the substitution was made?

This was received from the ROH on 19th October.  Not sure how far in advance of the email they knew about it.

Our records show that you are due to attend Verdi’s Requiem on 23 October. We are contacting you to let you know that due to the indisposition of Krassimira Stoyanova, the Soprano Soloist will be Lise Davidsen.

Lise Davidsen recently made her Royal Opera debut in the 2018/19 Season singing Freia (Das Rheingold), Ortlinde (Die Walküre) and Third Norn (Götterdämmerung). Lise also sang the role of Soprano Soloist in Verdi's Requiem at the BBC Proms this summer with the London Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra.

We look forward to seeing you for Verdi’s religious masterpiece.

• Like 1