15 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

It seems highly unlikely to me that Osipova/Hallberg would be dancing in a non-Bank Holiday Friday matinee.

I thought I read that the 1 June mat was Naghdi/Ball? Must have misread it! 

Edited to add: hadn't properly read Bluebird's post before I wrote that - although still not sure I've got my head around it! 

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 1

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

I thought I read that the 1 June mat was Naghdi/Ball? Must have misread it! 

Sorry for the confusion: we’re trying to establish which of the 1st and 7th matinees exist and, along the way, there was a suggestion that Naghdi/Ball would be appearing on 1st June in the evening.

34 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

It seems highly unlikely to me that Osipova/Hallberg would be dancing in a non-Bank Holiday Friday matinee.

I did stress that this was only speculation!  Given these discrepancies, there’s no way any of us can know what the eventual casting will be for these two dates.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

An exciting array of Romeo's and Juliet's. As I haven't seen this version for a very long time, maybe I will book (cheap tickets) for every cast.... OMG...!!!... a very long time is about 22 years!!! 

22 hours ago, jmhopton said:

However, the seat prices seem to be following the Evidenced Based marketing theme with only 10 side stalls circle seats priced at £40 and another 10 at £58. Top prices £130!!

£130????? I am speechless.

I too am very disappointed Campbell is not cast as Romeo.  I know he is a bit on the short side, so maybe a lot of the Juliets are not suitable for him.  Is Corrales also under tall?  Is that why he has been paired with Hayward?

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

Well, I shall go and see 1 Frankenstein with Alexander Campbell and thankfully Nehemiah Kish as the Creature, who I liked very much last time round. Otherwise not. 

Multiple interesting R&J's but like everyone else, really disappointed that Campbell has not been cast as Romeo.  Really wanted to see him with Francesca Hayward. Is Kevin O'Hare really in tune with what "the fans" want" or doesn't he care.  I know I've told him. It seems such a shame to throw away ballet perfection.

Now I know the comment will come back that 90% of people who attend performances, don't care what cast it is either. 

Sorry, cross tonight. 

• Like 5

Well: the 7th June matinee is now showing as greyed out and "Not available" on the production page, but it doesn't say it's a Schools Matinee, unlike the other two greyed out dates. There's no 1st June matinee listed yet.

Edited by Lizbie1

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

Please, does anyone know anything about Ed Watson?  He is not down to dance at all, winter or Spring.

I don’t know anything about the injury, but looking at things realistically I’m not sure there is much in the Winter or Spring season that we would expect Watson to be cast in. He is not a Basilio, he dropped Romeo last run, is not involved with Frankenstein (although I wonder what he would make of the creature), and there isn’t a great deal to suit him in the mixed bills.

Looking for roles he could dance, previously he has performed Andrey Prozorov in Winter Dreams, a role not included in the currently published casting. Is there a chance he could dance with Osipova in the new Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui? He has also previously danced Ivan Tsarevich in The Firebird which is coming up in the Summer season. I suppose he could be in Infra as well, but that might be too soon.

I don't think we've seen the last of Ed Watson. The rep just doesn't favour him this season.

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 2

On 23/10/2018 at 20:57, jmhopton said:

the seat prices seem to be following the Evidenced Based marketing theme with only 10 side stalls circle seats priced at £40 and another 10 at £58. Top prices £130!! Not very good to people like me on a small pension and with transport and accommodation to find on top of seat prices.

If you're referring to the prices for Romeo and Juliet, I'm afraid that the £40 side stalls circle seats you have noticed are the seats next to the stage and they will not be on sale..  Yes there are ten stalls circle seats priced at £58 but apart from those 10 seats, the lowest seat price in the stalls circle is £85!

I like the way that Kevin O'Hare has 'mixed it up a bit' for R&J but I wish that he had gone further and had paired Muntagirov with a younger Juliet. He always seems to be cast with the older ballerinas.

I much prefer the idea of a Hayward/Corrales combo to a Hayward/Campbell one even though I appreciate that Campbell, as well as his fans, will feel disappointed.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Please, does anyone know anything about Ed Watson?  He is not down to dance at all, winter or Spring.

10 hours ago, Saodan said:

I suppose he could be in Infra as well, but that might be too soon.

I really don´t know about his injury either (and his SM accounts are quiet) but I have a little bit hope for Infra. In September there were  videos posted for the contemporary section of the Prix de Lausanne (where the candidates have to choose one contemporary variation for the contest). One of the videos was Watson dancing a variation from "Limen" (I think it was "Limen but not sure anymore). It wasn´t long (the duration of the variations are somewhere around 2 minutes) but well, he was dancing and not looking too bad.

I guess the video was recorded in summer (there were also videos from Chisato Katsura and Calvin Richardson and judging the haircut from the latter, his video was recorded somewhere in late July/August, so I assume Watsons video was around the same time. Okay this sounds a bit creepy - but well, almost anything to find out if Watson is fit to dance Mayerling, right😳).

It gave me hope for "Mayerling" and even if these hopes were crashed - Mayerling is definitely not Infra! So there is some hope for Infra from my side and even if not - he is at least up to dancing again...

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

Just to confirm the Naghdi/Ball R&J dates:

Schools matinee:  23rd May

Saturday matinee 1st June

Evening performance/cinema broadcast:  11th June

Does that mean the ROH has confirmed that the Sat 1st June matinee will take place? It isn't on the production page yet.

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Just to confirm the Naghdi/Ball R&J dates:

Schools matinee:  23rd May

Saturday matinee 1st June

Evening performance/cinema broadcast:  11th June

Not sure where you get this from, Sim, either in terms of the dates, or the cast.  The website still shows only an evening perforamce on the 1st June,and a matinee on 7th June (greyed out as Lizbie points out earlier). 

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Does that mean the ROH has confirmed that the Sat 1st June matinee will take place? It isn't on the production page yet.

I had it confirmed by someone very close to the production,  so not sure why it isn't on the production page yet.  Probably just part of the larger general mess.  Unless they have very recently changed their minds....but that doesn't seem likely to me.  Maybe an internal communication problem?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, capybara said:

I much prefer the idea of a Hayward/Corrales combo to a Hayward/Campbell one

Hmm... I know Corrales can perform  explosive jumps and turns,  but I wonder if as yet, at 22, he has as much depth and artistry  in the  acting department as Campbell (who of course  is no slouch on the technical side either !)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

...........but it's now on the calendar for the Spring Season (it wasn't there before!)

https://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2018-19/spring/events?artform=ballet-and-dance&venues[0]=main-stage&types[0]=performance&types[1]=insights&days[0]=2&days[1]=3&days[2]=4&days[3]=5&days[4]=6&days[5]=7&days[6]=1&time=all&order=date

Sorry, I don't know how to shorten the link.

Edited by Bluebird

I think Campbell would be great as Romeo though never seen him in this role however I have no doubt that Corrales may be surprising some people with his acting skills if he can reign himself in a bit!! At 22 just the right age to be doing Romeo I think when you look at the nature of the role.

Somebody was asking about Corrales height and I would have said similar to Campbell he is not that tall though I've never actually stood right next to him .....yet! 

I’d like a choreographer to create a strong narrative piece both for Campbell and Muntagirov. Not bright or sunny either. I’d like to see them as a Hamlet...Pip in Great Expectations...a Cathy Marston piece....

Edited by Vanartus
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

it's now on the calendar for the Spring Season (it wasn't there before!)

Yes and now the calendar for 7th June matinee is not listed as R&J but The Firebird etc. triple bill. Is this all starting to make some sense at last?

Edited by Richard LH

I’d like a choreographer to create a strong narrative piece both for Campbell and Muntagirov.

Well, given the amount of time they spend shooting dressing-room hoops on Instagram, perhaps there's a basketball pas de deux to be made.  A sequel to the "Jockey Dance"? ;)

• Like 6

I am beyond disappointed that Alex Campbell is not dancing Romeo and glad that I am not alone . Nor is this the first time I have felt this, as others have voiced. I too have seen him dance a superb Romeo and however excellent he is as Mercutio  ,expected him to take the lead. I assume that he will be dancing Mercutio ?????

• Like 4

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:29, Bluebird said:

I called the Box Office and they kept me waiting a long time while they double checked.  The answer they came back with is that the website is correct, i.e. there is a Romeo and Juliet performance on the evening of June 1 but no matinée that day. 

That's a bit worrying.....there has been a matinee on June 1st scheduled all along and they still thought there wasn't?! 

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

It's finally arrived on the production page but is currently greyed out.

Isn't this exciting!

Update: it's gone again!

Edited by Lizbie1