• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Campbell might work with Takada but it did occur to me during his performance with Magri that he was a bit short for her.  Whilst they both put in very solid performances I think she might have looked even better with a taller partner.  Is Takada a little shorter than Magdi? To be honest I think Campbell really looks best with Hayward but I can see why they are not always cast together - it’s fine in Nutcracker but in the more ‘naturalistic’ Macmillan roles their very different stage presences might be jarring.  

I think shorter virtuoso male dancers pose a real casting problem for directors and O’Hare has a surplus of them right now with Campbell, Sambe and Hay just to name a few.  It appears that he is currently favouring Sambe for some of the available “short ballerina” slots, which is not ideal for Campbell.  Much easier to slot in taller partners like Hirano and Ball as “supersubs”

12 hours ago, Lindsay said:

I think shorter virtuoso male dancers pose a real casting problem for directors

Tricky isn't it? I mean Nureyev was 5'8", and Baryshnikov is only 5'5"...but then again ballerinas have only been "allowed" to be "tall" relatively recently...

A friend of mine, Cuban Yosvani Ramos, is 5'8" and says that in the last ten years or so he has frequently been told he is too short for a potential partner, whereas in his teens and twenties (he's 40 in June) his height wasn't considered a disadvantage.

I note that at Australian Ballet, the currently-featured men range in height from 5'7" to 6'4".

• Like 1

I remember reading many years ago that children being considered for the Royal Ballet  School were given some sort of examination to check for their possible adult height and that those falling under a minimum or over a maximum would be rejected. Does this still happen? Or is talent and ability more important, as it should be?

22 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

A friend of mine, Cuban Yosvani Ramos, is 5'8"

He's that tall?  I'll have to revise my estimates of a few other dancers' heights upwards, then.  Mind you, when he was at ENB I think there were several fairly petite ballerinas.

1 hour ago, alison said:

He's that tall?  I'll have to revise my estimates of a few other dancers' heights upwards, then.  Mind you, when he was at ENB I think there were several fairly petite ballerinas.

I can confirm it, having used a measuring tape on him once, much to his amusement. His frequent comment after that was "...but I'm taller than Baryshnikov!" 🤣

• Like 2

On 28/03/2019 at 15:28, Richard LH said:

I think it is quite natural for people to have favourite dancers -   Fonteyn would be one of yours perhaps? -  and I don't think much, if any, "berating" of non-favourites goes on here, to be honest, unless I have missed something - perhaps you have some particular examples in mind?   

I find  most discussions of performances suitably restrained and fair, even where I am not in agreement, and I am sure the excellent moderators would soon deal with anything that went too far.

Of course there’s nothing wrong with people having favourite dancers (yes, Fonteyn is just one amongst many dancers, past and present, that I have admired) but there has been a few comments regarding a particular and current RB first soloist who has, I felt, had some unfair, dismissive comments made against her because she did not train at a particular school, or follow the more usual path to the higher ranks of the company etc. My thoughts are that given how difficult and competitive it is to gain a contract with any ballet company, surely any dancer that has succeeded to the higher ranks of a major ballet company through a less conventional pathway should not be criticised as not everyone has the same opportunities in life and there are many outside factors that influence this.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, alison said:

Logical.  Not sure why there were apparent rumours to the contrary.

I think some of the rumour was simply wishful thinking!!!!! I heard an alternative Romeo being promulgated as 'fact' by someone behind me at a Don Q last week.

39 minutes ago, greypuss said:

Noticed that Hirano also replaces McRae in Within the golden hour as well.

Actually Hirano was already down for WTGH on those dates...it is Campbell who replaces McRae, and in turn  Hay replaces Campbell on the other dates the latter was to dance in WTGH.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Actually Hirano was already down for WTGH on those dates...it is Campbell who replaces McRae, and in turn  Hay replaces Campbell on the other dates the latter was to dance in WTGH.

Where would we be without our Campbell Connoisseur 😉 ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Where would we be without our Campbell Connoisseur 😉 ?

Indeed! Although on this occasion I only happened to notice the change when I was prompted to check  the casting as a result of the above posts. Plus I am equally happy to be seeing James Hay in this!

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Indeed! Although on this occasion I only happened to notice the change when I was prompted to check  the casting as a result of the above posts.

I did it the other way round & noticed the added Medusa casting but completely failed to twig that Campbell had moved casts! When I saw he was in the cast I'm seeing my thought was "Oh, I didn't realise I was seeing him in this. That's good" & assumed I'd just forgotten he was in it. With 2 triple bills in 2 months it's hard to remember who's in what - maybe that's why the RB hasn't bothered notifying ticket holders & has hoped no-one would notice!

5 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

With 2 triple bills in 2 months it's hard to remember who's in what - maybe that's why the RB hasn't bothered notifying ticket holders & has hoped no-one would notice!

But, actually, whatever the work involved (be it full length or part of a triple), it should be a normal courtesy to Principals (in particular) and audience members alike that changes to the casting of key roles are notified.

• Like 2

Cast change for The Royal Ballet's Romeo and Juliet

Saturday 27 April, 1.30pm
Saturday 4 May, 7pm

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Romeo and Juliet. We are contacting you to let you know that, due to injury, Reece Clarke is replaced by guest artist Timofej Andrijashenko as Romeo on Saturday 27 April and Saturday 4 May.

If you have any questions please contact our Box Office team on +44 (0)20 7304 4000 (Monday–Saturday: 10am–8pm) who will be happy to assist you.

No explanation as to who the replacement is - I just spotted the cast change on the website.

:( 

56 minutes ago, alison said:

Cast change for The Royal Ballet's Romeo and Juliet

No explanation as to who the replacement is - I just spotted the cast change on the website.

:( 

So upsetting for Reece Clarke.

Timofej Andrijashenko is a 24 year old Principal with the La Scala Company and hails originally from Riga, Latvia. Melissa Hamilton has guested with La Scala (and dances with Roberto Bolle a fair bit) so they might know one another.

I am 'due to attend' but have had no such e-mail!

Casting for Medusa:

First night cast – 8, 15, 16, 18(e) May

Medusa: Natalia Osipova

Athena: Olivia Cowley

Perseus: Matthew Ball

Poseidon: Ryoichi Hirano

Second night cast – 9, 18(m), 21 May

Medusa: Akane Takada

Athena: Fumi Kaneko

Perseus: Marcelino Sambé

Poseidon: Ryoichi Hirano

• Like 6