• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Very much hoping Corrales is fully recovered for Romeo.

Indeed...This is really sad for Corrales - a horrid first season at the RB for him so far. 

William Bracewell is rapidly becoming joint Super-Sub, alongside Alexander Campbell, and I am pleased he is so well thought of.

This is a great role for developing another side of his skill set.

Ideally I would have liked to have seen him play this opposite Campbell as Victor, but we can't have everything!  

5 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

William Bracewell is rapidly becoming joint Super-Sub, alongside Alexander Campbell, and I am pleased he is so well thought of.

This is a great role for developing another side of his skill set.

Ideally I would have liked to have seen him play this opposite Campbell as Victor, but we can't have everything!  

Well they did both transfer over from BRB!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alison said:

Oh dear :(  Although Bracewell as the Creature might actually convince me to book for it, come to think of it ...

Not even that would make me book for it!  So this is one ballet where I can't lament the absence of Corrales for me, but I am very sorry for him and for those who booked to see him.  I will of course be missing his DonQ and other performances, so let's hope indeed that he is able to dance by the time his Romeo shows are scheduled.

• Like 5

Well, public booking starts tomorrow, everything else is already open, and we have a confirmed cast for the first night of Within the Golden Hour.  For the second, we are apparently spoilt, because there are 12 "principals" dancing!  For the third performance, there is no cast at all, and there's no cast for the cinema broadcast.  This all according to the pages for the individual performances ...

42 minutes ago, alison said:

Well, public booking starts tomorrow, everything else is already open, and we have a confirmed cast for the first night of Within the Golden Hour.  For the second, we are apparently spoilt, because there are 12 "principals" dancing!  For the third performance, there is no cast at all, and there's no cast for the cinema broadcast.  This all according to the pages for the individual performances ...

For those who have no priority booking and who won’t, therefore, be able to log in to see the correct cast before public booking day, the only ways to get to the correct cast are:

either to go to the calendar eg  May and click on each performance eg May 9

or to go to the  Spring calendar and click on individual performances. 

Edited by Bluebird
Edited to thank Alison for explaining how to shorten long links!
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluebird said:

For those who have no priority booking and who won’t, therefore, be able to log in to see the correct cast before public booking day, the only ways to get to the correct cast are:

either to go to the calendar eg  May and click on each performance eg May 9

or to go to the  Spring calendar and click on individual performances. 

Thank you, Bluebird.  Is it any wonder I'm confused?  Your URL ends in a short combination of letters and numbers.  If I go "up" one level to the production page, and then click on the individual performance (which was what I'd been doing when I posted) I get

https://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/within-the-golden-hour-new-sidi-larbi-cherkaoui-flight-pattern

Ah.  I see.  That just appears to be a dropdown page with casting, rather than a "real" page.  So, I have to click on 7(?) separate pages to get the proper casting?

The thing I don't get is how they've ended up with so many versions of what should be the same information - if the website were decently designed it should be drawing casting information from the same place. That it evidently isn't indicates that a) they're still straddling the old and new systems in a very unmanaged way and b) there's some pretty poor work been done on the new one which has yet to be remedied.

I think - despite what we might believe - they're trying to put it right but feel very sorry for whoever's having to sort this mess out: it's really not a simple task.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:38, Bluebird said:

If you're referring to the prices for Romeo and Juliet, I'm afraid that the £40 side stalls circle seats you have noticed are the seats next to the stage and they will not be on sale..  Yes there are ten stalls circle seats priced at £58 but apart from those 10 seats, the lowest seat price in the stalls circle is £85!

Sorry to bring this up again (and possibly not in the best thread), but I've just had a nosey on the seat prices for the Balcony row C "tall seats", which used to be fairly reasonable.  £43 for Frankenstein, and a whopping £58 for Romeo & Juliet!!!  Both must be somewhere in the region of 100% increases on previous prices, I would think.

The Creature for the the first night of Frankenstein is now given as William Walton. Is this correct??

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/wk2dc

In the few minutes since posting the above information the web site has changed to show the Creature as Wei Wang for all first cast performances I think. A name new to me.

Edited by Josephine

6 minutes ago, Josephine said:

The Creature for the the first night of Frankenstein is now given as William Walton. Is this correct??

In the few minutes since posting the above information the web site has changed to show the Creature as Wei Wang for all first cast performances I think. A name new to me.

Apologies, Wei Wang is shown for performances on 5 and 11 March only.

I see it reading Wei Wang for the first two dates. I believe he danced the role with San Francisco Ballet. Frankenstein is, of course, a coproduction between the Royal Ballet and San Francisco Ballet. 

I hope Bracewell is on the mend. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Josephine said:

Is that your autocorrect having fun? William Walton as the creature? At least I have heard of him!  Haha! When I looked it said Wei Wang as the creature. Perhaps he's a dancer from the American company who co-share this ballet. 

Either way, nothing will make me book to see it! 

A quick Google on the name plus "dancer" gives:

https://www.sfballet.org/artists/dancers/wei_wang

I'd never heard of him either, but he was only promoted to principal last year, so perhaps it's not surprising.  Very sorry that Bracewell won't be making those performances.  I don't know whether this is an indication that they are still hopeful for the later ones, or simply that they'll announce a replacement nearer the time :( 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darlex said:

Is that your autocorrect having fun? William Walton as the creature? At least I have heard of him!  Haha! When I looked it said Wei Wang as the creature. Perhaps he's a dancer from the American company who co-share this ballet. 

Either way, nothing will make me book to see it! 

No - the website really did give William Walton as Creature for the first date, before this changed to Wei Wang. I wish I'd taken a screen shot! 😊

1 minute ago, Josephine said:

No - the website really did give William Walton as Creature for the first date, before this changed to Wei Wang. I wish I'd taken a screen shot! 😊

And it's not even April 1st. Maybe it was their autocorrect or maybe, as some of us suspect, they are just a little bit not quite so brilliant at doing their job up to a kind of perfectly reasonable standard that one may expect from an institution that strives for, and mostly achieves, (except for in this department), excellence. 

I agree that it’s just a simple human error.

However - and this is speaking from experience - you’d expect a very public-facing website to have an approval system built into it (called workflow) which is designed so that you can’t normally publish changes without someone else checking your work. This isn’t the first time I’ve suspected that this isn’t the case with the ROH website.

I don’t blame whoever made the mistake, but I do think it’s another symptom of a sub-standard website build.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

It's highly likely that William Walton already exists as a name in the system at the ROH, whereas Wei Wang is unlikely to do so.  This looks to me like a very simple error (one that a number of us could possibly make) that was corrected quickly.

Absolutely agree with you that this is a mistake easily made. It's really just the frequency of mistakes in online casting announcements that are made that led me to be a little unkind in my previous post. 

11 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I agree that it’s just a simple human error.

However - and this is speaking from experience - you’d expect a very public-facing website to have an approval system built into it (called workflow) which is designed so that you can’t normally publish changes without someone else checking your work. This isn’t the first time I’ve suspected that this isn’t the case with the ROH website.

I don’t blame whoever made the mistake, but I do think it’s another symptom of a sub-standard website build.

You shouldn't publish changes without checking your OWN work too. They're not updating a private database - it matters that what is entered is correct. Cross-checking by colleagues should only pick up (if anything) minor typos, or editorial queries. Not whopping great howlers.

• Like 3

I'm not sure that Walton's operas have featured largely at the ROH, but still ...  Anyway, getting back to the casting, Kish only has two performances as the Creature, so I don't see why he couldn't take on at least the last show, and possibly the one before that, although it's only two days after his last scheduled performance.  (I can't remember how much interaction the Creature actually has dance-wise with the other leads, and so how much rehearsal would be needed.)  Or possibly stick Hirano in for one, as that usually seems to be the default position for dealing with replacements these days :) 

Actually, does anyone know what the situation is with Cats?  Might McRae be available later in the run?