• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so, Bluebird.  So looking forward to the Hayward/Corrales, Naghdi/Ball, Osipova/Hallberg and O'Sullivan/Sambe R&Js ... Brilliant ... Sure Corrales will make an intriguing monster in Frankenstien as well ... Just wish the character in the piece was given his full due ... Perhaps Scarlett has focused such now.  Also can't wait to see the searing Flight Pattern with its original cast again.   

The Naghdi/Ball stage cinema release will be I assume a taster before the full formal film shot in Hungary.  The future is now not just neigh ... It is, it seems, happily here ;)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Using conversion software so apologies for any spelling mistakes...

Frankenstein

Liam Scarlett

Generous philanthropic support from Julia and Hans Rausing and The Friends of Covent Garden

Tuesday 5 March at 7.30pm Bonelli, Morera, Corrales*

(Victor Frankenstein, Elizabeth Lavenza, The Creature)

Friday 8 March at 7.30pm Dyer, Lamb, Hirano

Monday 11 March 7.30pm Bonelli, Morera, Corrales

Tuesday 12 March at 7.30pm Campbell*, Hinkis*, Kish

Friday 15 March at 7.30pm Dyer, Lamb, Hirano

Monday 18 March at 7.30pm Campbell, Hinkis, Kish

Wednesday 20 March at 7.30pm Bonelli, Morera, Corrales

Saturday 23 March at 1.30pm Dyer, Lamb, Hirano

Saturday 23 March at 7.30pm Bonelli, Morera, Corrales

Romeo and Juliet

Kenneth MacMillan

Generous philanthropic support from Julia and Hans Rausing, Sir Lloyd and Lady Dorfman, John and Susan Burns, Maggie Copus, The Gerald Ronson Family Foundation, The Royal Opera House Endowment Fund and an anonymous donor

Tuesday 26 March at 7.30pm Cuthbertson, Ball (Juliet, Romeo)

Thursday 28 March at 7.30pm Takada*, McRae

Wednesday 10 April at 7.30pm Cuthbertson, Ball

Saturday 13 April at 1.30pm O'Sullivan*, Sambe*

Friday 26 April at 7.30pm Cuthbertson, Ball

Saturday 27 April at 1.30pm Hamilton, Clarke*

Saturday 27 April at 7pm Takada, McRae

Wednesday 1 May at 7.30pm Lamb, Muntagirov

Saturday 4 May at 1.30pm Lamb, Muntagirov

Saturday 4 May at 7pm Hamilton, Clarke

Saturday 11 May at 1.30pm Hayward, Corrales*

Saturday 11 May at 7pm Lamb, Muntagirov

Monday 13 May at 7.30pm Stix-Brunell*, Bracewell*

Tuesday 14 May at 7.30pm Hayward, Corrales

Friday 17 May at 7.30pm Nunez, Clarke

Wednesday 22 May at 7.30pm Osipova, Hallberg*

Thursday 23 May at 7.30pm Nunez, Clarke

Saturday 25 May at 130pm Stix-Brunell, Bracewell

Saturday 25 May at 7pm Hayward, Corrales

Wednesday 29 May at 7.30pm Nunez, Clarke

Saturday 1 June at 1.30pm Naghdi, Ball

Saturday 1 June at 7pm Osipova, Hallberg

Tuesday 11 June at 7.30pm Naghdi, Ball

WORLD PREMIERE*

Within the Golden Hour/

New Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui/

Flight Pattern

Christopher Wheeldon/Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui*/Crystal Pite

Generous philanthropic support from Julia and Hans Rausing and The Royal Opera House Endowment Fund

Within the Golden Hour - Artistic Associate Christopher Wheeldon generously supported by Kenneth and Susan Green

New Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui - Generous philanthropic support from Georgia Rosengarten and the New Choreography Syndicate

Wednesday 8 May at 7.30pm

Within the Golden Hour: Stix-Brunell, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Muntagirov, Hirano*, McRae

New Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui : Osipova*

Flight Pattern: McNally, Sambe

Thursday 9 May at 7.30pm

Within the Golden Hour: Choe, Hayward, Takada, Campbell, Zucchetti, Dyer

New Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui: tbc

Wednesday 15 May at 7.30pm

Within the Golden Hour: Stix-Brunell, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Muntagirov,

Hirano, McRae

New Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui: Osipova

Thursday 16 May at 7.30pm

Within the Golden Hour: Stix-Brunell, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Muntagirov, Hirano, McRae

Saturday 18 May at 1.30pm

Saturday 18 May at 7pm

Within the Golden Hour: Stix-Brunell, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Muntagirov,

Hirano, McRae

Tuesday 21 May at 7.30pm

Edited by alison
To highlight text
  • Like 5

Things which immediately jump out:

Very happy for O’Sullivan. Corrales continues to be featured prominently. McRae is not reprising The Creature. No Romeo for Bonelli…

Edit: Also surprised that there is no Romeo for Campbell, despite there being only 8 Romeos for 10 Juliets.

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, Saodan said:

Also surprised that there is no Romeo for Campbell, despite there being only 8 Romeos for 10 Juliets.

Yes -  and only 3 in-house principals dancing. Giving 5 outings to Ball and Clarke and none to Campbell seems rather unfair.

No Hirano either. 

• Like 2

I don't think that the casting is at all unfair or surprising. I have a feeling that Campbell. Hay, Zucchetti and some other obvious absentees will be dancing Mercutio which it seems I must remind you is not an insignificant role and should really be danced by a Principal, a First Soloist or an exceptionally gifted junior dancer if it is to have its full theatrical impact and keep the narrative effectively balanced.  I think that we should see this run of performances as building for the company's future. All of the new in-house Romeos are well under thirty, they may not be principal dancers at present but one or two of them give every indication of moving up to that level in the not too distant future. This may hurt but the truth is that it would be a wasted opportunity to give Hirano who is in his mid-thirties a crack at the role of Romeo when there are younger talented dancers who need to get the role into their bodies now rather than having to wait for a revival in three years time. As far as Watson is concerned it is a big dance. MacLeary is on record as saying that all Romeos are exhausted by the time they get to the balcony pas de deux and  I can't help thinking that if he had not already decided to drop Romeo from his repertory then his most recent injury will almost certainly have made him think about whether he should leave the role to younger dancers. As far as Soares is concerned this is a ballet which while it has expressive choreography does not leave much opportunity for someone whose technique is best described as "variable" at this stage in his career to cover badly executed steps with acting. As an eminent critic recently wrote when this version of the ballet entered the repertory of Samadurov's company while the audience may not notice it in performance its choreography has been created using classroom steps. The steps have to be danced cleanly as steps and there is no hiding place for a dancer having an off day. If I recall correctly Soares is on record as saying that he is concentrating on character roles rather than more purely dancing ones .

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 4

Am particularly excited to see Naghdi/Ball, Hallberg/Osipova, O'Sullivan/Sambe, Hayward/Corrales and Stix-Brunell/Bracewell.  Very disappointed that it's not Akane and Ben Ella.  They were soooo gorgeous together in Giselle.  I just don't get it.  And yes, Campbell should be given a chance at Romeo.  Very disappointed also not to be seeing the Cuthbertson/Bonelli pairing again. 

I won't be seeing Frankenstein, so I can spend the money on seeing so many different permutations of this ballet!!  :)

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

It  is 3 with Lauren Cuthbertson and  2 with Yasmine Naghdi. 

The 1st Naghdi/Ball show is a School's Matinee (not listed), plus 1st and 11th June, so yes/no....3 shows but only 2 shows are public.

Guess that School's Matinee will be their warm-up performance before they start filming them.

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo

Well I wasn't going to go to Frankenstein but may give one of corrales's performances as the monster a whirl!!

Goodness who to see in Romeo and Juliet!! But Naghdi/Ball and Hayward/ Corrales ....and both at matinee performances too.....looks just too good to miss though I think Stix Brunell and Bracewell will be pretty good too.....and then O Sullivan! ....probably can only take a couple of viewings though....choices choices again!!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Sim said:

Am particularly excited to see Naghdi/Ball. Hallberg/Osipova, O'Sullivan/Sambe, Hayward/Corrales and Stix-Brunell/Bracewell.  Very disappointed that it's not Akane and Ben Ella.  They were soooo gorgeous together in Giselle.  I just don't get it.  And yes, Campbell should be given a chance at Romeo.  Very disappointed also not to be seeing the Cuthbertson/Bonelli pairing again

I won't be seeing Frankenstein, so I can spend the money on seeing so many different permutations of this ballet!!  :)

...yes - really don’t like the idea of two-timing Romeos when there’s enough male talent to go round! Well since I’m Berlin based, I’ll see Naghdi and Ball in the cinema, I’ll go for Osipova and Hallberg because I’m a sad groupie, but if if I can I’ll use air miles or a cheapo Ryanair to grab a Hayward and Corrales. It’d be rude not too...

• Like 2

Bonelli is one of my favourite Romeos so I am sad that he’s not dancing the role.  His chemistry with Cuthbertson has always been wonderful. 

I didn’t get to see Ball with Cuthbertson in Marguerite & Armand but if I remember rightly, weren’t they rather good together? If so, their R&J could be something special. 

Oh, would that Access Members could see more than one cast! 😩

I seem to have gone from 'I can manage not to see R&J again for a while' to wanting to go to almost every cast!

It is most enticing.

I can't remember who Muntagirov danced with last time- was it Lamb??I rather thought not.

A few additional, disjointed thoughts:

The Nuñez/Muntagirov cast intended for the first run of Frankenstein now seems to have been abandoned. Both Campbell and Hinkis promoted from secondary roles to principle roles. A big opportunity for Hinkis especially. Both favourites of Liam Scarlett? Will Hayward and Naghdi reprise Justine? Hopefully Scarlett will be given the opportunity to make some revisions.

It is the second time this season that Clarke has been cast with two different partners in one ballet (Calvert and Cuthbertson in Nutcracker, Hamilton and Nuñez in Romeo and Juliet). Thats a lot of ballerinas, especially on top of all those Mitzi Caspers. I felt it was a shame he wasn't promoted last season, if he is passed over again it will be a travesty. Bracewell continues to slowly pick up roles, Corrales is being fast tracked. Only one performance for O’Sullivan/Sambé? That seems a shame, but a huge step forward for O'Sullivan nonetheless. About time! Also a big debut for Stix-Brunell. I had fancied that Magri might get a shot at Juliet, but with 10 dancers cast I guess there just wasn't room.

I have to restate that, with all the talk of the strength of the RB men, I find it surprising that the company can only come up with 7 Romeos for its 10 Juliets. And, as Richard said, there really are only three out of nine princple men cast as Romeo. I understand Floss’s point about Mercutio, but still feel that Campbell, Hirano, Hay, and Ella could lay claim to a shot at Romeo. Maybe they can commiserate with Morera. I completely agree about building for the future.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mary said:

I can't remember who Muntagirov danced with last time- was it Lamb??I rather thought not.

Muntagirov did indeed dance with Lamb last run.

The intial casting was Muntagirov/Osipova, Lamb/Pennefather. However, injury and retirement meant it ended up as Muntagirov/Lamb (replacing Osipova), Lamb/McRae (replacing Pennefather).

I hope that makes sense. I confused myself trying to figure out how to write it down!

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Saodan said:

Only one performance for O’Sullivan/Sambé?

Remember Saodan when Naghdi/Ball danced their debut in 2014 (she was still a Soloist, he was a First Artist) they only got 1 public performance too. It's justified Principals have priority to dance two or three shows each. 

Looks like Hayward and Naghdi will not reprise Justine (it's not really a Principal role). 

Scarlett has often cast Hinkis in his ballets so I assume she must be, together with Morera, his favourite female dancer.

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo

14 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Remember Saodan when Naghdi/Ball danced their debut in 2014 (she was still a Soloist, he was a First Artist) they only got 1 public performance too.

That's true. Both Naghdi/Ball and Hayward/Campbell only got one public performance of Giselle as well.

2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

The 1st Naghdi/Ball show is a School's Matinee (not listed)

Do you know who is dancing the other School's Matinee? I believe there are two and I can't seem to find the casting anywhere.

51 minutes ago, Saodan said:

Hay and Ella could lay claim to a shot at Romeo................................ I completely agree about building for the future.

Agreed. I think that height and (lack of) seniority may be against them. I would have loved to have seen a Takada/Ella combo as they were so very special together in Giselle. Perhaps this could have been achieved had Osipova not wanted to dance with Hallberg (who is, incidentally, older than either Hirano or Campbell)

But there are so many factors in play here, most of which we know nothing of.

Corrales will get me to Frankenstein.

Wonderful as McNally and Sambe are, I am sorry in a way that a second couple is not being given the chance to dance Flight Pattern.

• Like 3

Delighted about all the debuts in R&J, but totally bemused about Alexander Campbell. Yes, he's not tall. But neither are Sambé, McRae or (I think) Corrales. (And Baryshnikov danced Romeo!). He's an exceptionally intelligent and interesting actor with great stage presence, and an excellent partner. He's at the peak of his career, age-wise. He's so talented and such a professional that I'm sure he will make something (or probably a lot) of Frankenstein, but it's really not a role on a par with Romeo. And yet some Romeos are doubling up whilst he is not performing it at all. I find it totally baffling and really quite upsetting.

Having said that I will look forward greatly to as many of the other casts as I can get to. And I hadn't been intending to go to Frankenstein again; now I will have to book one performance...

• Like 11

Just to chime in, I'm also very disappointed about Campbell and really can't understand this.  I was dearly hoping (and expecting) to see him as Romeo.  I know he's a fantastic Mercutio but that certainly shouldn't be a barrier to playing Romeo.  I can only hope that he'll get a chance whenever this ballet next comes around, although if they are going with younger dancers I suppose perhaps not.  What a shame.

That said, I will book both his performances of Frankenstein if I can, and will probably see a fair few R&Js - there a number of casts that are very appealing, especially Hayward/Corrales, Naghdi/Ball, and Lamb/Muntagirov.

• Like 5

I'm not surprised that Watson isn't doing Romeo because I seem to remember an interview from several years back where he said he wouldn't be dancing this role again, also Albrecht, I think.  But what greatly concerns me is that he is not down to dance anything at all.  He is obviously out for the rest of the autumn programme, but nothing is rostered for Winter or Spring.  Does anyone know anything?  (It's not idle curiosity - just worry because I am a huge fan and wonder if he has actually retired)