Ballet in Canada

Peter

Are there ballet boarding schools that focus solely on Neoclassical ballet in Canada? If not, are there at least some with some focus on it? I must admit that I don't know much about ballet but I'm writing a book where a character is passionate about it, thus I'd like to know some basic things so that should it be published, the information will be realistic and accurate. 

Hi Peter, I'm in New Zealand and only replying because nobody else has! I don't know about Canada but generally speaking I would say that neo-classical is a 'branch' of classical ballet that dancers only tend to start as they get into their teens. The foundation training for all ballet dancers is classical ballet technique for the first 5 years at least, and then other things are added in. Neo-classical takes classical technique and 'breaks the rules' (safely), ie adding in more contemporary/edgy moves. It can be done on pointe or in flat shoes, but requires you to have solid classical training first.

I don't think a training school for kids/teenagers would focus solely on neo-classical. There are companies with schools such as Rambert in London or New York City Ballet that have a lot of neo-classical repertoire but it is all based on classical technique, so to train only in neo-classical would seem a very odd idea. The emphasis these days is on versatility so even very classical dancers tend to train in contemporary and other genres as well as cross-training. But neo-classical is just a variant of ballet, not really a 'school' of its own.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I've got this wrong.

• Like 7

As with Cara's reply  i can't comment on  Canada.  I'd agree with Cara that vocational school  (whether 11-16  or 16-19 ) would not  focus on  neo classical  work ,   the only purely neoclassical  company  is New Adventures - which is one of the few  purely  commercial companies out there , if you look at the UK  'big 5' (RB,ENB,BRB, Northern and Scottish) and the 'Next 5' they are a mixture of  emphasis .  

from a polt point of view  the  emphasis of n neo-classicla could be seen  from the background of the AD or the  way in which  final year tours  have their rep picked ... 

there is no clear demarcation   between classical/ neoclassical/ comtemporary ballet
/ ballet influenced conremporary/the various contemporary styles and 'movement languages'  ( or as a certain  person has been known to call it ' that rolling around on the floor bollocks' ) 

Rambert , from a company point of view has an 'interesting' relationship with  ballet,  as the company has moved  more and more towards being a contemporary company and rarely  produces  much that is specifically  denominated  as ballet . However  the Rambert School  does  split  work  between classical /neoclassical ballet and contemporary - and  is clear it's 50/ 50 emphasis , (where Centrals's upper school with a similar  curriculum is seen as a ballet upper school (producing 'narrative'  but  classically  competent ballet  artists  - which given the  Gable  legacy  to CSB ...)   or somewhere like LCDS or NSCD  where daily ballet class is  part of the curriculum but  graduates are seen as Contemporary  dance artists 

• Like 1

there are only two ballet boarding schools in Canada: Royal Winnipeg Ballet School (not strictly a boarding school, I believe they billet the students with families in Winnipeg) and Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto which offers boarding from age 12 onward. As mentioned above, they do not "focus on neoclassical ballet"; they give  a grounding in classical ballet, and other forms of dance.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2018 at 02:38, toursenlair said:

there are only two ballet boarding schools in Canada: Royal Winnipeg Ballet School (not strictly a boarding school, I believe they billet the students with families in Winnipeg) and Canada's National Ballet School in Toronto which offers boarding from age 12 onward. As mentioned above, they do not "focus on neoclassical ballet"; they give  a grounding in classical ballet, and other forms of dance.

Teenage dancers from Australia and NZ go to the School of Alberta Ballet, which has accommodation – does this not count?