Moving this out of the "Germany ..." thread so it doesn't get lost among 3 dozen pages:

Munich:

On 14/10/2018 at 12:58, Lizbie1 said:

Angela, sorry to trouble you for yet more advice, but in your view is it better to submit a written order for tickets or wait for online booking to open?

(I've decided to take a chance on the production as I'll be in town anyway!)

22 hours ago, Angela said:

Lizbie, I only book online or by phone at Munich, so I don't know if writing is faster (I think they do it by lottery?). However ballet doesn't sell as fast as an Anna Netrebko or Jonas Kaufmann opera at Munich, even it it's Polunin - so if you are able to book immediately at 10 o'clock on the opening day of online booking, that should be no problem, I think. Or try the phone. Try to catch seats (or standing room) in the middle of the balconies - the sight from the sides is not so great. No problem in the stalls. If you take tickets on the balcony sides, only first row. The Nationaltheater is beautiful, but huge, and I could'nt find the perfect place for ballet there until now... ☹️

2 hours ago, toursenlair said:

My experience of the stalls is that it's preferable to not be in the first 4 rows as they are sunk below the stage a bit. Row 7 / 8 and back are better. Also definitely don't take a seat at the end of a row as some of these are behind big pillars that block the view.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Angela said:

Yes, I like the back of the stalls much more, but that might be too far away for some people. Katherine, where did you find pillars?? I agree, the end of a row is not great for the bad sight lines, especially in the front rows, but I can't remember pillars. I'll have to check next time 😯

10 hours ago, toursenlair said:

I couldn't tell you which rows exactly, but some of them in mid Orchestra/Stalls/Parkett definitely have the view obstructed. You;ve probably just never been unfortunate enough to sit there.

Row 7/8 is fine: not too far away, and with sufficient rake to see all of the stage. Closer rows may be fine for people taller than me (5 foot 4).

• 3 weeks later...

In Munich I did not like my seat in Rang 3 as it had a big fat safety rail all along the ledge likewise Rang 4 so you are better off in seats on Rang 1 or 2 .  To see the stage properly I had to lean forward which gave me a pain in the back. I think if you are taller you will be OK even in Rang 2 without the rail I still had to sit up to see when the dancers cam to very front of the stage.

In Hamburg the Loges are not great if you are small:- I had front row seats in Loge 5 left  but they were far back so safety rail gets in the view again.  Very painful trying to find any comfortable position to see the stage properly so I reckon you are better off with a back row on the tiers.  Not sure if front row centre is any better will find out in December.  Apparently you can hire a booster seat cushion which I will do for the gala next year as I have been allocated a Loge.

In Berlin the Deutsche Oper is fine in my experience and is the only theatre I go for stalls as they are well raked and seats are offset so you have a clearer view.  The Staats Oper central tiers I sat in were OK before the renovation as was the back row of Stalls but I have yet to try out the renovated theatre.  I have a nasty feeling safety rails have been installed:-(  I will find out in December!

I have taken to taking photos of the auditoria and views from my seats, no time today but will try to remember to resize and post here!!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

EU "elf n safety" regs I dare say!

In Munich they have been there since I can remember, and I'm happy they are because I'm afraid of heights. I never had a problem looking over them.  I'm never going to sit in den upper balcony of Semperoper Dresden again because there is NO railing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I found this very useful thread (thank you alison!) after searching the forum. The Deutsche Oper in Berlin isn't included,  could someone very kindly tell me what the rake is like? I've already booked for several Wagner operas next May, but didn't bother about the view. Now, however, I'm booking for Giselle which is on while I'm there. The specific areas I'm looking at are Rang 2, (the first row unless there's an annoying safety rail) or Rang 1 from the third row onwards. These are in the 2nd price category, though I would be happier with the 3rd category if the rows 6 and 7 aren't affected by an overhang or something. Of course the same applies for these categories in the stalls,  depending on the rake since I am somewhat short.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

HI Aruna - I did mention Berlin Deutsche OPer in my post above.

The stalls there are great with good rake and seats are offset so you do not have a head straight in front of you.  I usually go for the cat3 seats but Cat 2 are lovely but a little dearer.  Cat 3 are great value and even cat 4 rows at the back of the Stalls are good as the rake is slightly more at the very back.  I have sat in teh very back row a couple of times and it is fine, just a little far away.  Views I have found all good especially if you sit in central seats. Definitely get as close to centre as you can.   

Up on the tiers I have only sat on the first tier as the 2nd is often closed.  I have only had the front row and 2nd row, it was a while ago now but do not recall any issues.  What I would say is that the tiers are at the very back of the theatre as most of the stalls are not over hung at all so you are right at the back even on the front row.  I rarely go for stalls but I always DO here because the view is good and you are closer to the stage.  It is rather far away up on the tiers.  I have not ever sat in the side tier loges.  

Normally for Balanchine works I like to sit high up but I have booked cat 3 stalls row 18 for Jewels in October.  I thought it may be nice to see the dancers closer up as I know the choreography fairly well now for Jewels.  I have seen Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, DonQ, Esmerelda, Nutcrackers, various galas and triple bills nearly all from the stalls and always had a good view.  I am only 1.64m so not the tallest but they seem to have the rake and offset of seats just right here.

Here's a pic from my stalls seat of DonQ last year think it was about row 18 obv with a bit of zoom lens.

DfB586EX4AEMG8P?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

Thank you so  much Don Q Fan! I'm glad I missed your reference in the earlier post and asked my question because there's so much detail in your reply :-)

I'm 1.57m  so a good bit shorter than you... but with the rake and your experience of the stalls I'll go for that. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aruna S said:

Thank you so  much Don Q Fan! I'm glad I missed your reference in the earlier post and asked my question because there's so much detail in your reply 🙂

I'm 1.57m  so a good bit shorter than you... but with the rake and your experience of the stalls I'll go for that. 

I think you will be ok, but they usually have booster cushions in German theatres some take a small deposit refundable upon return.  Just ask at the coak checks who are probably best to ask (on the ground floor after you enter) if you think you may benefit from one, but I find the seats at the DO are very well upholstered and "high" anyway!  The rake isn't huge but their layout works very well.  Hope you enjoy Giselle!

I found a photo I took of the auditorium last year you can see how the tiers are right at the back here too.

EE2kq_8XUAAsgpt?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bavarian State Opera/Ballet

Does anyone have any knowledge of the seat view Seating Plans and Prices: Bayerische Staatsoper - for NATIONALTHEATER to be precise.

I've never been and was weighing up a cheaper priced ticket either up high or lower around the side, but wondered if anyone had been or could recommend as it's difficult to tell from the images and plans available online?

Thank you.

For Ballet, stay in the middle, you have a badly restricted view if you are too far on the side. The standing room is fine, if you stay on the more expensive standing places (the lilac coulour on the plan). You have a good view in the 2. and 3. balcony, the Galerie is too far away for my taste. My preferred, still payable places are 2. balcony, up to numbers 29 or 30, but not the higher numbers.

The Nationaltheater is bad for ballet, if you ask me - in the stalls, you have to look upwards in the first rows, in the back rows you are already far away from the stage (but it's a fine, unrestricted view, also on the outside of the rows, no problem). Same goes for the middle seats in the balconies, they are very far away from the stage. 

Don't buy Hörerplätze or Partiturplätze, they are without view, by the way.

• Like 1

Row 10 in the stalls is perfect for ballet … not to far away, full sight of stage and floor and therefore dancers’ feet.  

Crucially, ticket cost is much lower than stalls in ROH.   

Most of stalls has good sight of the stage … avoid first few rows as these are slightly below the stage.   

Sight-lines are similar to ROH, in that view of stage gets restricted quite quickly as you go around the sides of all levels (except stalls).  Centre of the levels is a good view … the AD sits alongside the royal box.  As in ROH Grand Tier … these seats are at some distance from the stage.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Somewhere in the stalls is fine, I think there are no sightline restrictions, maybe very small ones on the side. If you take a box, I would sit only in the first row, and not too far on the side. It's a modern house, not like Zurich where you can see the whole stage from only on a third of the seats. Modern and practical, not really beautiful.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FionaE said:

Could somebody advise me on best seating and/or seating to avoid at Hamburg?  I’m planning a trip to see Alina Cojocaru in Liliom.   Thank you 🙏 

I recommend middle of row 6 or upwards. It's not steep but you have a good view in the stalls. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hamburg:

11 hours ago, Christine said:

There is a brief window of a few days a couple of months (February in my case) before the actual gala during which you can apply for a ticket (stating your seating, pricing preferences, no. seats etc.. ).

A few months later you'll receive information (April in my case) if your application was successful and you can then buy the ticket.

Important seating advice: Avoid rows 2 to 10 in the stalls. There is no rake and you might get trapped behind giants (as happened in our case. We did manage to "work" our way forward, however).

Views from the balcony (first, second or even 3rd tier) are preferable.

Seating in the stalls starts to climb from row 11, from here you have excellent views.

Here's the link to the page for next years's Nijinsky-Gala XLIX: https://www.hamburgballett.de/de/spielplan/stueck.php?AuffNr=196311

Keep checking the page (there must be an English language page, too) for announcements.

• Thanks 1

My question relates to booking seats for the Bayerisches Staatsballett. No offence to them but I do find the ROH website to be a bit more user friendly in its layout, despite its many problems! (For example - lots of clicking and redirection required on Staatsballett website to even access the 2023/24 season repertoire list, and not really an option to filter by dates.)

I'm not sure where the seat map is to actually select seats in the auditorium - you just get directed straight to the checkout and select your price range/add credit card information, and after that is it randomly allocated? Seems a bit puzzling

Edited by art_enthusiast

Here is the link to all explanation regarding ticket booking:

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/ticket-info

When you chosen to order online on the first day and hour when it is possible (for example May 23, 10am), there is often a "queue". You can see your number and then the countdown. When you are finally first "in line" (number 1), then you can pick the performance and date, and then you will be directed to the seat map. After your first order, you can continue to book the next performance, because you are already "inside the booking system".

I hope my explanation helps. I have ordered tickets this way in the past, it works. But it takes patience. I don't it anymore because I want to know the cast, and casting is out 2 weeks before performance only, or even later.

OR

Written order (form on the website):

Click on the piece and then on tickets and you will be directed to the form to the written order:

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/staatsballett

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I'm not sure where the seat map is to actually select seats in the auditorium

If you want to see the seat map of the Opera House/Nationaltheater, just go to one of the opera performances on sale right now, directly on the home page right. The ballet is on holiday already. 

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/    Possibly one that's not already sold out, then you will see the seating plan.

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

If there are any seats left after the ballot has taken place,

There are always seats left for personal, telephone and online booking. They sell first by mail/email three months before, then by phone and online two months before the performance. It's not that hard to get ballet tickets, the house is huge. Of course you get the best tickets when you book two months before exactly.

6 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

lots of clicking and redirection required on Staatsballett website to even access the 2023/24 season repertoire list,

It's right on the homepage https://www.staatsoper.de/staatsballett - scroll down and click on "Die Ballett-Saison 2023-24" - they just forgot to translate the headline 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...