CNSMDP Paris, Conservatoire Nationel Superior, Paris

Derin's Mom

Hello.

M DD (13) will audition for CNSMDP (National Conservatoire Superior de Paris) in March when she is 14. She is currently training full time in MSGSU State Conservatoire in Istanbul, Tr. She has auditioned for POB last year and was selected up to the final level (in 12 students out of 200 but could get into the first 3). They adviced her to try CNSMDP.

Do you have any experience in this?

- what is the audition level, will it be considered difficult to enter?

- they require B1 but she may not receive it, but she can get an A2 then. Are they flexible in this?

- how is dormitory?

- any idea about the graduates' selecting companies afterwards?

Your input will be very helpful.

Thank you

Hello,

My DD has two friends at the CNSMDP, one redoing the first year and one in the fourth year and they are both very happy!

The audition is in two parts, a lesson with around 30 students and if successful, a notice is pinned up at the end of the afternoon,  the students selected perform a prepared solo. Although there are lots of applicants at various levels, the intake is very small, and the process lasts over a few days with each day allocated to different ages (entry 14yrs-17yrs). The results are very quickly given, at the end of the week or the beginning of the next.

Almost all the teachers are ex-POB 'Etoiles' who have all completed one, if not two, obligatory teacher training courses ( illegal to teach without in France).

It is an excellent school and at 15yrs all the students pass a competition and the winner has the opportunity to complete their training at the POB school (This happened to a girl my dd knows and she received a contract with POB upon completion of her training last year).

There are usually a couple of students at the 'Prix' each year and the standard is very high. If they feel you have potential but haven't progressed enough, it is possible to redo a 'dance' year ('redouble'). The class sizes are usually between 12-20 students, half girls and boys. 

Graduates can go anywhere in France and further afield ; POB, Opera de Bordeaux, Capitol de Toulouse, UK Scottish Ballet , Monaco , Royal Danish Ballet etc

Sorry I can't help you with the B1/A2 question,

https://www.dansesaveclaplume.com

This website reports on their open day and show each year with photos and video footage to give you an idea!

I hope this helps, feel free to ask anymore questions, although be warned the 'boarding' part does not include weekends!

Good Luck 

Sam

• Like 5

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 18:44, Sam said:

Hello,

My DD has two friends at the CNSMDP, one redoing the first year and one in the fourth year and they are both very happy!

The audition is in two parts, a lesson with around 30 students and if successful, a notice is pinned up at the end of the afternoon,  the students selected perform a prepared solo. Although there are lots of applicants at various levels, the intake is very small, and the process lasts over a few days with each day allocated to different ages (entry 14yrs-17yrs). The results are very quickly given, at the end of the week or the beginning of the next.

Almost all the teachers are ex-POB 'Etoiles' who have all completed one, if not two, obligatory teacher training courses ( illegal to teach without in France).

It is an excellent school and at 15yrs all the students pass a competition and the winner has the opportunity to complete their training at the POB school (This happened to a girl my dd knows and she received a contract with POB upon completion of her training last year).

There are usually a couple of students at the 'Prix' each year and the standard is very high. If they feel you have potential but haven't progressed enough, it is possible to redo a 'dance' year ('redouble'). The class sizes are usually between 12-20 students, half girls and boys. 

Graduates can go anywhere in France and further afield ; POB, Opera de Bordeaux, Capitol de Toulouse, UK Scottish Ballet , Monaco , Royal Danish Ballet etc

Sorry I can't help you with the B1/A2 question,

https://www.dansesaveclaplume.com

This website reports on their open day and show each year with photos and video footage to give you an idea!

I hope this helps, feel free to ask anymore questions, although be warned the 'boarding' part does not include weekends!

Good Luck 

Sam

Dear Sam,

This has been more than helpful. I am happy to hear some inside information. As I understand, the level of the school is very satisfactory. The school my DD attends now is in Vaganova method but she is learning the French technique as well on private lessons. Her current school is very competent but the possibilities of finding good jobs in Turkey is so low. This is why we want her to continue her study abroad.

We live in Istanbul and could not attend an open day before.

For boarding weekends, we have the uncle living there.

So let's cross fingers for this March.

The only question I have, what does a re-do of the first year mean? Did she fail to pass the first year at the end and had to repeat, or else?

I am glad that I could give you some insight. 

Basically, if a student is a borderline fail in ANY year they can be offered the possibility to redo the year instead of being asked to leave. For example, my dd is at another 'Conservatoire' in France and out of the class of 7 first year girls, 2 were asked to leave, 2 are redoing the first year and 3 passed into the second year. It is very common in all French vocational schools. This had no bearing on academic studies which continue. The other advantage is the vocational schools are supported by the state and so the fees are low and affordable.

They do not hold a summer school, but most of the teachers teach in other summer schools in France.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:09, Sam said:

I am glad that I could give you some insight. 

Basically, if a student is a borderline fail in ANY year they can be offered the possibility to redo the year instead of being asked to leave. For example, my dd is at another 'Conservatoire' in France and out of the class of 7 first year girls, 2 were asked to leave, 2 are redoing the first year and 3 passed into the second year. It is very common in all French vocational schools. This had no bearing on academic studies which continue. The other advantage is the vocational schools are supported by the state and so the fees are low and affordable.

They do not hold a summer school, but most of the teachers teach in other summer schools in France.

Dear Sam,

My DD is accepted to CNSMDP and will start in September. We are very excited about it.

Though known not famous as other named ones around Europe, I understand that it is important in France.

• Like 5