BBC News at 6...The RB's attempt to be more diverse

On 10/10/2018 at 22:34, penelopesimpson said:

Why on earth should it matter what colour the dancers are?

Who said that it should matter ?  That was not the point of my post.

But actually in one sense  it does matter .. representation matters. You might feel differently because it’s not the vantage point from which you see things but if there are others fully willing, able, and talented enough  who want to dance and are not getting the opportunity, it matters.   Also in another sense, if it didn’t matter the experience of many wouldn’t have been what it has been and still continues to be. 

If you mean that it doesn’t matter to you what colour the dancers then fine but there are other people for whom it matters in very different ways...

• Like 6

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/10/2018 at 02:03, Lindsay said:

(although I do wish they would stop casting dark skinned dancers disproportionately frequently as the caterpillar in Alice....)

Interesting that you say that  -  the role was created on Eric Underwood so I guess that’s why?   The male lead in Agon which was created on Arthur Mitchell has often been cast that way every time I’ve seen it..

On 11/10/2018 at 18:00, ninamargaret said:

Seems that ballet may be a bit late in catching up! The RSC put on the Henry VI plays around 2002 and, shock and horror, cast a black actor as Henry. There was much consternation at the time. Since then it has become so normal to have 'black' actors playing 'white' parts that very few people would even comment on it. The big stumbling block is of course Othello,where generations of white actor can. no longer play the role.

Really?😳

2 hours ago, Jam Dancer said:

Interesting that you say that  -  the role was created on Eric Underwood so I guess that’s why?   The male lead in Agon which was created on Arthur Mitchell has often been cast that way every time I’ve seen it..

The latter, as we discovered in Mitchell's obituaries, was a deliberate "political" and artistic decision by Balanchine.  For the Caterpillar, it seems to me that skin colour is a, if not the, major casting consideration.

And when was the last time that a white actor was cast as Othello in the UK in any significant production?

Bussell danced Agon and Apollo with Eddie J. Shellman of Dance Theatre Harlem in the early 1990’s at The Royal Opera House.

This was a time when Dance Theatre Harlem dancers guested with the Royal Ballet. I was privileged to see the great Virginia Johnson dance Giselle at that time!!

Edited by Tony Newcombe
Bad grammar I think
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, alison said:

when was the last time that a white actor was cast as Othello in the UK in any significant production?

I think it was in the early 70s. An RSC production with Brewster Mason playing the Moor. Not fully blacked up, but he played him as an Arab. Super production that's remained with me for all those years.

On 11/10/2018 at 09:18, Melody said:

I remember reading an article where one black dancer (not sure if it was Ms dePrince) said that early on in her ballet life she was hoping to get the role of Clara and was told that the family wouldn't have had a black daughter so it was out of the question. Hopefully that attitude isn't common.

I wonder if that is actually true?  Speaking personally, I never even notice the skin colour of somebody when they appear on stage.  It would never occur to me to say, "Oh, look, there is a non white person taking part."  I would have no problems at all with a black actor playing some of the major Shakespearean roles on stage.  All acting is make believe, so logic flies out of the window.  After all, we don't expect Romeo and Juliet to be played by a pair of young teenagers, so why should anyone be bothered if, say,  Romeo is black and Juliet is white?  Or that all Romeo's mates seem to be a different colour to him?  How many of the audience thought about it when Carlos Acosta was performing?  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

I wonder if that is actually true? 

Sadly, I think it could be true.  I once overheard two audience members querying why Chi Cao and Nao Sakuma of BRB were dancing Romeo and Juliet.  I also heard someone wondering why Mlindi Kulashe 0f NB had been cast as Mr Rochester and someone recently said to me that companies were looking too Asian!!!!!!

Personally I am not bothered about anybody's ethnicity, gender, religion or politics when they are on stage!  I have come to see people perform ... 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Fonty said:

How many of the audience thought about it when Carlos Acosta was performing?  

Well, I have been known to wonder how on earth that particular Romeo had two white parents - but then, all sorts of silly things strike me in the middle of ballets from time to time!

5 hours ago, Fonty said:

Well, I don't know the context of the quote.  The press have been known to misquote people from time to time.  

Lauretta Summerscales gave an interview to the Daily Telegraph recently about the need to seek new roles.

Added to this at the end was a rehash of the alleged troubles at ENB.

This was nothing to do with the interview she had given. She tweeted or used Facebook to point this out.

• Like 1

I tried to find a link to the actual article quoting the dancer who said she'd been refused the role of Clara because she was obviously not related to the dancers playing the parents but I'm afraid I couldn't. I do remember it quite clearly (or I wouldn't have posted about it), and will continue to search.

Well, there's this:

"This calls to mind how much I longed to dance the role of Marie (the equivalent of the child, Clara, in the Balanchine Nutcracker) when I was a child, but it was believed by the artistic director in that U.S. company that the world wasn't ready for a black Marie," writes DePrince.

https://www.allure.com/story/michaela-deprince-first-black-sugarplum-fairy

• Like 2

9 hours ago, alison said:

Well, I have been known to wonder how on earth that particular Romeo had two white parents - but then, all sorts of silly things strike me in the middle of ballets from time to time!

I'm not sure that is silly, in fact; ballet is a visual art so the way dancers look does matter. But it's then a question of suspending disbelief, so to speak, in order to enter into the performance. Normally that's easy, but I did find it quite a struggle, for example, to believe that Kristen McNally (in spite of her excellent performance) was Rudolf's mother in Mayerling last weekend, since she looked exactly the same age as her putative son. (The age issue bothered me, but the fact that her son looked very different from her didn't; so it's clearly not logical!).

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, alison said:

That said, I started to wonder if it could have been Romeo I was thinking of, since the Montague parents are onstage for barely 5 minutes in the MacMillan production, and not someone I tend to focus on.  Perhaps it was a different ballet.  I've certainly looked at both Capulet parents in that first scene and wondered things like whether two blonds could produce a black-haired child, and probably vice versa too!

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

I did find it quite a struggle, for example, to believe that Kristen McNally (in spite of her excellent performance) was Rudolf's mother in Mayerling last weekend, since she looked exactly the same age as her putative son.

You could always get past this by recalling that the real Empress Elisabeth was very preoccupied with her looks and figure and their preservation :)

• Like 5

16 hours ago, alison said:

....and you could always get past this by assuming that he was adopted!

• Like 1

On 14/10/2018 at 01:07, alison said:

The latter, as we discovered in Mitchell's obituaries, was a deliberate "political" and artistic decision by Balanchine.  For the Caterpillar, it seems to me that skin colour is a, if not the, major casting consideration.

And when was the last time that a white actor was cast as Othello in the UK in any significant production?

Well I am not sure that colour needs to be the major casting consideration for the Caterpillar ...I can’t remember which company but I think Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland will be done by a local company here in Tokyo and I think they may take a different approaches casting.

I am not sure when the last time a white actor was cast as Othello but my surprise was more at the “so normal to have black actors play ‘white’ parts” as that is contrary to the experiences of many of the prominent black actors in the UK who have openly discussed the scarcity of good work in Britain and the fact that they have to go to America...

I imagine that there are also people asking about the last time a Black opera singer in the UK  was cast as Aida in a significant production.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

....and you could always get past this by assuming that he was adopted!

I was doing that for Clara in the 19th century: wasn't so sure it would work for 15th(?)-century Verona - and if I knew the play better I might have an idea of whether Shakespeare put in anything that would indicate that he was of Montague blood :)  

54 minutes ago, Jam Dancer said:

Well I am not sure that colour needs to be the major casting consideration for the Caterpillar ...

Actually, maybe I should take that back.  Perhaps the issue is not so much casting the Caterpillar, but the Rajah who "morphs" into him, as dark-skinned.

I, in my ignorance, had always assumed that Aida was Egyptian.  Is she Nubian, or something?

3 hours ago, Jam Dancer said:

Well I am not sure that colour needs to be the major casting consideration for the Caterpillar ...I can’t remember which company but I think Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland will be done by a local company here in Tokyo and I think they may take a different approaches casting.

I am not sure when the last time a white actor was cast as Othello but my surprise was more at the “so normal to have black actors play ‘white’ parts” as that is contrary to the experiences of many of the prominent black actors in the UK who have openly discussed the scarcity of good work in Britain and the fact that they have to go to America...

I imagine that there are also people asking about the last time a Black opera singer in the UK  was cast as Aida in a significant production.

Kaufmann in Otello.  And totally  marvellous he was, too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

You could always get past this by recalling that the real Empress Elisabeth was very preoccupied with her looks and figure and their preservation :)

And if you look at photos of the real Empress with her carefully cultivated waist-length hair and beautiful complexion she probably did look younger than her unhappy son.

Where the ballet is concerned, I remember one dancer who really was about a decade younger than the dancer playing her son.  Still looked very convincing in performance.

Linda

• Like 2