Too skinny (age 8)

Whiteduvet

This is maybe a bit odd!

DD is 8 and extremely slim. We’re talking ‘how do her legs hold her up?!’ slim. She’s very healthy, eats well etc; that’s just her build (I was the same at that age). 

She’s just been at a competition over the weekend. She was one of the youngest in the (wide) age category and although she danced really well she seems to lack the physical control of the older girls. We were chatting about how she could improve and she said she feels she needs more muscle... I agree this would give her more precision and clarity of movement, but I don’t see what we can do. She is how she is!!

Any advice? Is this just a question of continuing to train and perform, and her body will catch up? Or should she do eg Pilates to strengthen as much as possible? She’s a talented little dancer I think, but struggles to hold her own sometimes, particularly with the complicated choreography, and I think it’s because she doesnt have enough physical control.. 

Please tell me if I’m stressing unnecessarily. First time competition mum so don’t really know what to expect or how fast children progress etc...

Hello Whiteduvet and welcome! I think you have probably answered your own question, your dd doesn't have the physical control of the older girls, simply because they are older. Even 2 years makes a massive difference at this age. I would do nothing more than you are already doing, if your dd is healthy, happy and eating well that is all that matters. As you say, her build is largely influenced by genetics. My own dd was very very small at 8 years. I remember that her dance teacher would not allow her to start jazz classes with others her age, not because she wasn't technically capable, but because her teacher feared her delicate frame getting injured. And she was right. Even though my dd fretted and sulked - it seemed like a very big deal at the time. That was a decade ago and dd is now a full time student. Just enjoy each step on the way - it passes all too quickly!

I think you are worrying unnecessarily ( don’t we all! )

At 8 she should just be enjoying her dancing and concentrating on the basics, like good posture. Later, at 11 and 12 she will gradually build strength through the exercises she is doing and by slowly increasing her hours of training. To try too hard to build strength now, might overdevelop her muscles which would be hard to undo later. 

• Like 3

A Mother’s gut reaction /thoughts are usual the correct ones. My DD is in full time 6th form, she is tiny (5ft3) but is incredibly strong, it has taken years but she has got there. She simply grew and developed at her own rate. My musical DD is stopped from playing the flute age 8 because she simply didn’t have the strength, she played the Recorder beautifully, and went on to play the Oboe and Sax. 

Please don’t worry. 

Edited by Pointetoes
  • Like 1

There are some really good things that your DD can do to help her build strength if you're really worried about her, but pilates isn't necessarily one of them! As other parents have already said, there's probably nothing to worry about and her strength will develop with age and physical maturity. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, drdance said:

There are some really good things that your DD can do to help her build strength if you're really worried about her, but pilates isn't necessarily one of them! As other parents have already said, there's probably nothing to worry about and her strength will develop with age and physical maturity. 

I agree.  Pilates demands a certain level of maturity and although it can be brilliant for dancers, I think it’s better to start as a teenager.  

Just wanted to add,  that If you see any photos of the famous  professionals as young kids, they all seem to have that gangly, bambi look going on especially in the legs area. As though they might topple over any minute!

Although it’s frustrating to see other children performing with strength and clarity right now, its important to see the bigger picture, and to peak at the important time ( 15- 18yrs) takes time and patience especially with the type of physique you have described.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2018 at 18:11, Whiteduvet said:

Thank you for the reassurance. That was my gut but it’s hard being there and seeing the gap between her and the others! 

My DD was like that, videos of her a few years back her arms were thin but without control.Teapot arms I called them. She totally understood and appreciated the feedback as it was done in a supportive manner, oh and  watching the videos. 

Move forward two years, she is still a skinny minnie but has developed strength and has control over her slim arms. Muscles have developed and she has 'grown' into her body type. 

It is truly amazing how the body changes with increased time in the studio and maturity. As long as your DD is healthy and maintains a balanced healthy diet she will develop at her own good time and in her own way. 

If she does become very conscious of her body in a negative way, you could encourage her to use a resistance band or a bottle of water to use as a weight. But try not to fret, encourage your DD to embrace and love her physique  There will be many in and out of the studio that are envious.  Too much focus on obesity nowadays can back fire on those at the other end of the weight spectrum and little girls can become more body aware than we ever did at their age  and create an issue where there wasn't one. 

Good Luck

• Like 6

My DS has been told he was too skinny, well actually was told he lacked upper body strength. That was at 8. He’s nearly 12 now and is filling his shape, and strong as anything. His twin sister till this year was the opposite and has slimmed down in literally 6 months as she has grown taller! 

Some kids are just later bloomers. I’d just give her time...👍👍

My daughter has always had a smaller frame than everyone else - she's in the 9th centile for weight. She's now 11 and at vocational school, but even last week at their open day last week I could see she was the most waif-like in the ballet class and lacked some of the power of the other girls. But she's come a long way and I can see she's slowly gaining in strength, particularly since she's entered the early stages of adolescent development. She had problems maintaining turnout so she started floor barre exercises a year ago which helped massively too.

my yr5 daughter is on the 1st centile for BMI! she is exceptionally skinny but does seem surprisingly strong, no idea with what muscles though as she looks like she can't possibly have any.  We have noticed that in festivals at this age the vast majority of those who place are short and stocky rather than skinny. Toe point, performance, arms etc are all very similar but like you say the leg strength and control is more mature in the short stocky ones (not to mention a much lower centre of gravity which will make everything a lot easier). Interestingly though watching the teenage sections the skinnier dancers seem to have developed the strength and control (even though they don't look like they are strong) and generally seem to be the ones rewarded.  I would just let it happy with time. She is still so very young, strength will come.

You’ve all reassured me so much. Thank you. I’m really conscious not to make her question her body shape/type and to learn to love and accept what she’s been given so I don’t want to make this into a ‘thing’. 

I will be patient. She has time :) 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

What she's been given may actually be a huge blessing. I agree with Mrs Brown. Years ago DD (who is now 17) came across a dancer on the summer school circuit who pre-puberty was painfully weak and thin - tiny tiny stick legs and arms and looked the least likely to have any kind of career and a terribly uncoordinated and weak dancer. Well, that certainly all changed! Of course looking back with hindsight the reality was that she was probably the most promising of all...