Sign in to follow this  
capybara

The London Ballet Circle: News of Upcoming Talks and Events

Elena Glurjidze (former ENB Lead Principal and now joint Artistic Director of the Masters of Ballet Academy)
in conversation with Gerald Dowler

Monday 15 October, 7.30pm 
Civil Service Club, 13-15 Great Scotland Yard, SW1A 2HJ
Payment at the door: members £5, guests £8

• Like 2

Anita Young,  former Royal Ballet Soloist and Upper School teacher at The Royal Ballet School, will be joining Elena Glurjidze for this talk.

Both Elena and Anita are  much sought after teachers but from different disciplines (Elena teaches the Vaganova method at her own School and Summer School) so, as well as covering their dancing careers, the interview will be focusing on developing the dancers of the future.

Just bumping up a reminder of this CONVERSATION EVENING with Elena Glurjidze and Anita Young talking about teaching young dancers.

[There's no need to miss Mayerling in the cinema as there are a lot of 'replays' next Sunday (21st).]

Bruce,  I checked on LBC's website and could find no mention of any forthcoming meetings which caused me some concern as I had told a number of people about Monday's meeting on the basis of what had been posted here. It would appear that LBC may have fallen for the "everyone's on Facebook" argument about effective communication as promulgated by the marketing consultants employed by the ROH as the only notification about tomorrow's LBC meeting that I can find is on LBC's  facebook site where details are given under the heading of "events". If the first notification of the meeting was given on October 10th, which is what the facebook note suggests, a meeting which could prove to be one of the most interesting of the season may well turn out to be one of the most sparsely attended.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

Capybara, surprised this is not listed (as far as I can see) on the LBC website: http://www.tlbc.org.uk/events   Has it been confirmed?  Perhaps you could touch base with them.  Thank you.  

It has definitely been confirmed: Civil Service Club, Great Scotland Yard, 7.30pm 15th October. Far from being deserted in favour of Facebook, The LBC's website is in the process of being upgraded to include not only improved information but also the opportunity to join, renew and pay online. [The fact that things are in transition at the moment was one of the reasons for posting on this forum.]

• Like 2

Capybara,

Thank you for giving notice of this meeting although sparsely attended it was one of the best that the Circle has run, largely because it was not a Fanfest. It scored over what Ballet Association usually manages because the discussion was led by someone who does his homework rather than a fan thinly disguised as an interviewer. The report should make interesting reading.

As you might have expected both the guest speakers were very good and they made a wonderfully informative double act agreeing about pretty much everything. Unlike the two former Royal Ballet School teachers who spoke to the Circle a couple of years they did not seem to be in disagreement about any of the fundamentals and Anita Young was very complimentary about de Valois and her teaching methods and said she used them on occasion. I was surprised about this as those earlier speakers had led me to believe that the reason that the de Valois system had eventually failed was because it had not been adequately recorded or remembered.  Here is something to think about. Anita Young who as she described herself was both a turner and a jumper and as a Soloist would have had a heavy workload as you can be used as both a  member of the corps, leading the Shades down the ramp,as a soloist doing very demanding solos and whatever else management needs you to do, enjoyed an injury free career. Her teachers were a veritable who's who of Cechetti teachers de Valois. Bedells et al, and her training was slow, steady, thorough and systematic.

Elena Glurjidze also described a slow,, systematic approach to training in the Vaganova system in which for the first two years of training you work slowly and deliberately to acquire a correct basic technique and to develop stamina and strength. Both speakers made it clear that it takes time and patience to acquire the basic elements of technique and to build the strength and stamina which a dancer needs. There are no short cuts  and no element of the training can be skipped  . However boring the process may seem it takes time to develop core strength and a dancer's body. Blindingly obvious I know but then so is the concept that every student is unique, something which can often be overlooked, no one should try to run before they can walk and trying to emulate what you can see on the internet is dangerous. As far as finding a teacher is concerned go to someone who is a registered qualified teacher. Apparently there are plenty in the US and Japan who are not qualified. Whatever the alumni of the SAB may say Balanchine is a ballet style not a school and with a solid, secure technique and artistic sensibility and sensitivity to its nuances you can dance in any style which may be required of you.   

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 5

I echo FLOSS's comments about this being a very informative evening focused on teaching, with two guests who were also very entertaining. Thank you for writing about it, FLOSS.

The next 'conversation' run by The London Ballet Circle will be with Joseph Caley (formerly with BRB and now a Lead Principal with ENB) on Monday 12th November at 7.30pm at The Civil Service Club, Great Scotland Yard.

I'd hoped to be able to make this one, but alas, circumstances conspired against me :( 

Agree it was very interesting but just wanted to post my slight discomfiture about comparing interviewers etc.  We're all obviously entitled to our opinions but assuming I'm right in thinking both BA and LBC are 'staffed' totally by volunteers (and happy to be corrected if I'm wrong) I'd instead to thank all concerned for putting on many a happy evening and say how much I enjoy the programmes of both organisations.

• Like 3

A quick reminder that Joseph Caley, now Lead Principal with English National Ballet, will be talking to The London Ballet Circle this Monday (12th November). [Details of venue etc. are above.] 

Among a host of new roles since joining the Company from BRB in 2017, Joseph has recently been dancing Des Grieux to Alina Cojocaru's Manon and is currently rehearsing Swan Lake with Shiori Kase.

Next Monday (21st January) the guest of The London Ballet Circle will be Iain Mackay, until recently a Principal with BRB but now the Director of the Yorkshire Ballet Summer Schools.

On Monday, 18th February, Dame Monica Mason will be interviewing Marianela Nunez.

Both meetings are at the Civil Service Club (details above).

Marianela Nunez, Principal, The Royal Ballet: in conversation with Dame Monica Mason 

- Monday 18 February, 7.30 pm at the Civil Service Club 13-15 Great Scotland Yard, London, SW1A 2HJ 

Pay on the door £5 MEMBERS, £8 GUESTS

Yasmine Naghdi, Principal, The Royal Ballet
Monday 15th April , 7:30 pm at the Civil Service Club 13-15 Great Scotland Yard, London, SW1A 2HJ

Pay on the door £5 MEMBERS, £8 GUESTS

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/lists/1-upcoming-events