World Ballet Day 2018 - feedback and discussion

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite illuminating seeing how difficult it is to dance MacMillan properly when it's not in your dancers' "DNA".  I think it's something we tend to take for granted when watching the Royal Ballet because most of them will have "grown up" in his work.

31 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Thanks for this, Alison .... two dedicated partnerships - one forged at the RB and the other (current) established at DNB - Brilliant :)   So sad there are only 317 viewers.  There deserve to be so many more.  

344 when I looked, Bruce, but yes, still disappointing.  I guess it's just that much easier to stay with an existing stream rather than hunt around for a new one when no indications are given.  Hoping people will catch up with everything on YouTube or wherever, anyway.

Glad I'm not the only one to dislike the feed via Facebook. It's a faff to get there, and then it keeps dropping out. Grrr - I missed huge chunks of the Bolshoi stream, and the RB stream. A pity, as those 2 classes are the highlight for me, because of the teachers - wonderful watching such expertise & care for the art and the dancers. 

• Like 2

I work with one of the biggest live events in the world and I am not making an excuse for anyone but this is a huge undertaking.  With live broadcast and live streaming things can go wrong  and obviously something did. I think the use of Facebook might have something to do with taking advantage of the infrastructure that Facebook already has in place. It is already used for live sport events and the like.   It's a pity that there were some glitches and it's obviously frustrating but I just adore the promotional effort that I won't complain....

• Like 1

Am I the only one suffering from regular but very brief buffering?  It plays havoc with the audio stream, and makes it very difficult to take in the music or what's being said.  It's as if everything has hiccups in it!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, alison said:

Am I the only one suffering from regular but very brief buffering?  It plays havoc with the audio stream, and makes it very difficult to take in the music or what's being said.  It's as if everything has hiccups in it!

No you are not the only one. And the buffering is only adding to my frustration after the silent BRB section

• Like 3

well all I am able to get is the odd freeze frame...no sound, no action...nothing. Am appalled at how rubbish this is proving to be...a total let down by the technology. FB clearly can't cope...maybe they thought World Ballet Day was niche with minimal 'traffic' & failed hugely and have not put the resources behind it to provide enough bandwidth for the MILLIONS of ballet fans worldwide hoping to watch this - as in previous years!! World Ballet Day organizers, take note......

I only joined FB to watch this...will be deleting account :(

Edited by Peanut68
typo
  • Like 1

The organisers (whoever they are) should get a group of people who watched this day together as a focus group to tell them what was right and what was wrong today.  They then have a year to sort it out.  It can't be beyond the realms of possibility to have one YouTube channel on which to show all of the main companies, and also to provide a list of the alternative choices IN ONE PLACE, together with the links to each of the other companies' online events.  

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, Marg S said:

No you are not the only one. And the buffering is only adding to my frustration after the silent BRB section

Sorry but buffering occurs because of the receiving infrastructure not because of the source.... If you have slow broadband or a slow device you will have buffering... It is not because of FB or the ROH.

Edited by Jam Dancer

I am watching from Tokyo, Japan  and apart from the issues around the BRB segment and at the start of the Mayerling  rehearsal, I have had no issues.  I am sure  many people have issues but on the other hand,  some of those issues will de due to the infrastructure that they are using to watch the broadcast. 

Edited by Jam Dancer
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jam Dancer said:

Sorry but buffering occurs because of the receiving infrastructure not because of the source.... If you have slow broadband or a slow device you will have buffering... It is not because of FB or the ROH.

Yep, I thought that was probably the answer.  Either way, it's so much better than the 3 GB I used to have a month that I really shouldn't complain :) 

Some of the likes here are sympathy likes not being pleased about the problems experienced!!

To  add the broadband reception down here is not that good at all generally speaking.

On certain days TV reception can be really poor ....we go via the Isle of Wight Receiver at  Rowridge we are convinced they spend a lot of time working on this Receiver as our actual aerial is one of the best you can get but makes no difference!

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

The Northern Ballet section was excellent with no problems whatsoever, although I think most of it had been recorded.

The segment was hosted by the always erudite Hannah Bateman and Mlindi Kulashe.  First up was a specially made film, made in the ruins of Kirkstall Abbey and was of one of the fight scenes from Three Musketeers.  

Then we had a good interview with Cathy Marston about Victoria (filmed in Canada).  The final section was a rehearsal from Kenny Tindall's The Shape of Sound.

I enjoyed what I saw of the ENB Manon rehearsal and the RB class.

My broadband is provided by a cable company and is good.  I had the odd buffering incident but nothing to complain about.

• Like 1

The Bayadere shades rehearsal brought a lump to my throat and made my arms ache in sympathy. Winter Dreams was wonderful too- can hardly wait to see this live again. Quick look at some of the new works very interesting. A great RB day . But Northern Ballet's segment was excellent too:  it fizzed with energy.

Just a shame about missing some bits- what a day it COULD be if everything worked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jam Dancer said:

I am watching from Tokyo, Japan  and apart from the issues around the BRB segment and at the start of the Mayerling  rehearsal, I have had no issues.  I am sure  many people have issues but on the other hand,  some of those issues will de due to the infrastructure that they are using to watch the broadcast. 

I was also watching from Japan, and during the stream of Australian Ballet, in our own National Ballet of Japan section, the streaming was frozen for quite a while and when it was back the section was finished. (well the Australian Ballet part full video is already on YouTube) It seems it was not only me but the majority who were watching. Also sometimes the quality of the streaming was not good during the Unknown Soldier segment.    

I seem to have missed most of the bits I wanted to see most due to technical failures or something - the FB feed went funny sometime before the Bayadère rehearsal was scheduled to start :(   I'm positive I didn't fall asleep!

And still can't get at the WBD website because of a "page can't be displayed" notice.  Hopeless.

Of course, there are still several hours of WBD to go, and not all our readers are UK-based.  If anyone finds the right links for the rest of the programming, please post them up!

Edited by alison
  • Like 2