World Ballet Day 2018 - feedback and discussion

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Fiz said:

We finally found the live stream after much aggravation. Why they can’t use a central site is beyond me and I’ve missed all of the Australian Ballet and don’t know which  ballet the Bolshoi is rehearsing. Every year it’s so frustrating.

The Australian Ballet feed is now on youtube

• Like 3

My feeling on the Bolshoi - I liked the piece with the music by Britten (I missed what it was called though, and who choreographed it). Thought 'Nureyev' piece was tedious I'm afraid. It was an interesting, if a bit wince inducing, to see how hard they drove the corps - or perhaps just more honest than we are used to seeing? The 'election' piece was worth seeing too.

I'm a little concerned at the absence of Cuthbertson as originally scheduled.  Takada looks great, though - was she originally scheduled?

Actually, though, this was always mix-and-match casting, because Muntagirov is supposed to be dancing with Nunez/Osipova, isn't he?

Well that was a sadly frustrating 35 minutes with BRB.  We saw a section of Ignite being rehearsed mainly without music and without adequate microphones being provided to the choreographer (as minimum) and dancers.  I could see them talking at the back of the stage but even with my rather powerful bluetooth speaker (which I daren't put on full volume under normal circumstances - it would shake the house down) I couldn't hear what they were saying.

I managed to just about hear the answers to twitter and instagram questions at the end but not very well because my speaker was turned up so loud the sound was distorting!

The section we saw of Ignite (a pdt for Celine Gittens, Brandon Lawrence and Mathias Dingman) looked intriguing and I can't wait to see the full ballet on Thursday.

I've just switched back to the Royal Ballet and nearly deafened myself!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, alison said:

Actually, though, this was always mix-and-match casting, because Muntagirov is supposed to be dancing with Nunez/Osipova, isn't he?

they aren't rehearsing together - Akane doing the solo, the other two will dance their duet once she's finished, is my guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

It's a bit if a joke. I can't see anything. I'm not on Facebook so that's useless as it wants me to sign up.

Just ignore it.  You should be able to get past it and just click on the video and extend it to full screen anyway.

Well have missed the Bolshoi class....hoping to see Oscar but no such luck.

Thanks for putting up links but nothing worked today....except RB 

Hopefully can catch up on YouTube at some point have to go up to London now!!!

• Like 1

Had no problem with the Russians ... but the British WBD broadcast has I fear been problematic for me.  Is this some kind of plot as the news programmes keep suggesting?  Surely not :)  Birmingham it seems has gone silent.  

Perhaps it is a creative incentive .... Invent your own dialogue.  Bintley's repartee has just become totally stellar in my ear :) LOL  ... There have been several vital hints as to his replacement so far.  Fascinating! .... :)   (only joking .... NOT!)   So sad  -  as in the few seconds I could actually hear - there was a (much deserved) tribute to Bintley.  

Hopefully they will fix the problem for the other companies being featured.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Compared with previous years, this Facebook thing is turning out a touch shambolic - and I can't be alone.  What looks like a count of the number watching has dropped from 4.4K to 2.4K in about 4 minutes.  Looks like a rethink needed for next year.

• Like 8

Just now, Ian Macmillan said:

Compared with previous years, this Facebook thing is turning out a touch shambolic - and I can't be alone.  What looks like a count of the number watching has dropped from 4.4K to 2.4K in about 4 minutes.  Looks like a rethink needed for next year.

Though that might be peeps going back to work after their lunch hour... 😩

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, alison said:

Dronina and Hernandez, and being coached by Durante and Mukhamedov!

Thanks for this, Alison .... two dedicated partnerships - one forged at the RB and the other (current) established at DNB - Brilliant :)   So sad there are only 317 viewers.  There deserve to be so many more.  

Edited by Bruce Wall