World Ballet Day 2018 - feedback and discussion

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally found it.  God, they don't make it easy, do they?  And why, on the big day itself, does the WBD link not work?  If anyone knows who is in charge of the whole thing, please let me know and I will write to them.  Thanks for the suggestions above.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zxDaveM said:

follow the link provided by Quintus above

As mentioned above, I already tried it and the message "oops, there's a problem" came up three times.  Anyway, by going around the houses, I have found it now.  Thanks.

My guess is, given the WBD site mysteriously stopped working this morning Aussie time (I could use it at 0930 AEST but not at 1055 AEST), that the companies involved chose to force us to use Facebook with its tracking and ads.

And if no FB account, can't fullscreen stream as the Join Now Or Log In banner prevents it.

Oh, and can't view video on mobile phone at all as Facebook doesn't allow live streams on mobile.

Cynical, moi?

Edited by Sophoife
Added
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I'm using fullscreen and I don't have a FB account.

Well, you must have a magic touch. Please could you provide the link you are using here?

I finally found The Bolshoi after over an hour of trying but the screen keeps freezing. The same kinds of problem occur every year. It feels as if they don't want anyone to watch without enduring a lot of stress first.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I'm using fullscreen and I don't have a FB account.

May I please ask, BBB, what your setup is? Browser, OS etc. Because I can't get fullscreen in either Firefox or MS Edge on Windows 10, and I can't use Chrome because for some reason (probably that my computer is 5+ years old) it slows the system down so far as to be unusable.

Edited by Sophoife
Typo

Must admit I've had no problems whatsoever - in FB, I just went straight to the Bolshoi page and it worked.  I am watching it from an iPad mirrored onto on a biggish TV and the definition is fine.  The Bolshoi seem to have made quite a slick production this year - some prerecorded material, but seamless moves from one segment to another. I could just have wished for some captions in the class and rehearsals to show who was speaking / dancing. I hope the RB segment is as smooth, as last year that was quite glitchy for me.

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 1

Well, I've followed BBB's link and got what appears to be a still - subtitled in English, no less, so obviously prerecorded, or at least time-delayed if they have a very on-the-ball translator working for them - but seemingly no way of making it work as a video!  The link from the WBD FB page I think just took me to the Bolshoi's usual page, I scrolled down and clicked on a vid entitled "WBD", then wondered why they were talking about 5th October, and realised it was to do with last year's broadcast!

EDIT: Okay, it's working on Firefox, but not on IE11 - now there's a surprise ;)   I'll have to break my usual habit of keeping Firefox for work only, but it's really annoying.

2 minutes ago, junedancer said:

Thanks - Chrome works for me but not Explorer for some reason.

Me too.

How not to grow an audience for ballet   - just put hurdles in the way of any casual browser. I seem to remember it was easier to access last year.

• Like 4

Thanks for the links bangorballetboy - otherwise I would never have found my way to the correct page. Unfortunately, I click on the start arrow, and nothing happens!

I think I'm going to have to give up, and wait for the snippets on youtube.

It was the very first WBD which got me really interested in ballet - so I'm very disappointed. I hope the RB section will work all right on my laptop.

Best wishes to all on balletcoforum - I hope they are having a more successful access to WBD than myself

• Like 1

• alison locked, unlocked, locked and unlocked this topic

Okay, it turns out that we had 2 separate discussion threads going on this, so I've merged them into one - moans about inability to access the streams and all - and copied over some comments from the thread in News so that we had them all in one place.  I'm hoping that sooner or later we'll all be happy bunnies and busy discussing the happenings onscreen :) 

I've highlighted a few segments which are particularly useful - and welcome any comments about ease of reading, colour of highlighting etc. in a thread I started a few days ago in the "About the forum" section.

Now for the second half of my breakfast ... ahem! :) 

It's a bit if a joke. I can't see anything. I'm not on Facebook so that's useless as it wants me to sign up. The official website doesn't work I thought whole point was the whole thing would be streamed via that site. Too simple I guess. I have to catch up on YouTube tomorrow instead. Very disappointing. 

• Like 1

In the original thread on News member Richard LH contributed a really useful post that gave the times (UK times) and links to numerous company contributions to WBD:

It's well worth reading, but I'm pasting below in the hope it might be seen directly...

I have put UK time in red. I think they got the "UTC+" for Wellington wrong - the web tells me it is currently  11:40 pm in Wellington so they are exactly 12  hours ahead of us here.

Please correct if you spot any  silly errors.

The Australian Ballet, Melbourne
11:00-16:00 AEST (UTC+10hrs)   
02:00 - 07:00

Bolshoi Theatre of Russia, Bolshoi Ballet, Moscow  09:00-14:00 MSK (UTC +3hrs)  7:00 -  12:00

Royal Opera House, The Royal Ballet, London  12:00-17:00 BST (UTC +1hr)

Guest companies:

AUSTRALIA and ASIA 
The National Ballet of Japan, Tokyo - 11:00-11:15 JST (UTC +9hrs) 03:00 -  03:15
West Australian Ballet , Perth - 14:30-14:40 AWST (UTC +8hrs) 07:30 -  07:40
Queensland Ballet, Brisbane - 15:00-16:00 AEST (UTC+10hrs) 06:00 – 07:00
Royal New Zealand Ballet, Wellington - 15:00-16:00 NZST (UTC +12hrs) 03:00 - 04:00  (UTC + 13 hrs)

MAINLAND EUROPE 
Nasjonalballetten UNG / Norwegian NB   2, Oslo - 14:00 - 14:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 13:00 - 13:30
The Royal Danish Ballet, Copenhagen - 14:15-14:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 13:15 - 13:45
Bayerisches Staatsballett, Munich - 14:30-15:00 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 13:30 - 14:00
Das Stuttgarter Ballettt, Stuttgart - 15:00-15:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 14:00 - 14:30
Wiener Staatsballett, Vienna - 15:15-15:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 14:15 - 14:45
Ballet de l'Opéra de Paris, Paris - 15:30-16:00 CEST (UTC +2hrs)  14:30 - 15:00
Het Nationale Ballet - Dutch NB, Amsterdam - 16:00-16:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 15:00 - 15:30
Kungliga Svenska/Royal Swedish Ballet Sch.Stockholm - 16:15-16:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 15:15 - 15:45
Teatr Wielki - Opera Narodowa, Warsaw - 17:00-17:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 16:00 - 16:30

UNITED KINGDOM 
Scottish Ballet, Glasgow - 11:00-11:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
Birmingham Royal Ballet - 13:00-13:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
English National Ballet, London - 14:00-14:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
Royal Academy of Dance, London - 14:30-15:00 BST (UTC +1hr)
Northern Ballet, Leeds - 16:00-16:30 BST (UTC +1hr)

AMERICA and CANADA
Ballet Concierto De PR, San Juan - 10:00-10:15 AST (UTC -4hrs)  15:00 - 15:15
Acosta Danza, Cuba - 12:00-12:40 EDT (UTC -4hrs) 17:00 - 17:40
Houston Ballet, Texas - 12:30-13:30 CDT (UTC -5hrs) 18:30 - 19:30
Pacific Northwest Ballet , Seattle - 11:00-11:30 PDT (UTC -7hrs) 19:00 - 19:30
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, New York - 15:00-15:30 EDT (UTC -4hrs) 20:00 - 20:30
Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal - 16:00-17:00 EDT (UTC -4hrs) 21:00 - 22:00

Edited 1 hour ago by alison
Added highlighting in the hope of making this easier to spot
Edited by Bruce