JohnS

Royal Ballet Insight and In Rehearsal discussion

Kevin O'Hare certainly seemed very enthusiastic about Acosta's Don Q. and he summed up all the reasons why. Yasmine and Marcelino too stated they have so much fun rehearsing together and they are looking forward to share their joy with the audience. When the presenter asked Kevin O'Hare why he brought Don Q. back his answer was "Yasmine and Marcelino are sufficient reasons to bring it back". Marcelino Sambe talked about the amazing opportunity being coached by Acosta. They all seem to treasure Don Q. I know some do not like this ballet so no need for them to revisit Don Q. When I first saw Don Q. performed I was sitting next to a couple who were seeing a ballet for the very first time in their life and at the end the husband told me: " Well if this is what ballet is all about I'll happily come back to see more!". 

Marcelino Sambe and Yasmine Naghdi will surely deliver a firecracker performance (my only concern is that Marcelino Sambe is too short for Yasmine Naghdi and I hope he's able to work on partnering her well by the time they are ready to go on stage).

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Yes very strange indeed. Surely the Director KevinO'Hare should be mentioned first, followed by the Principal, first soloist etc. 

Another illustration of how little idea the people newly i/c within the ROH have about running things.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

As she did 28 and travelled a bit..................................

It was a REHEARSAL and in a studio.

I was more interested in her (their) lovely phrasing at the start of the first piece they danced. I never count either.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, capybara said:

This list of participants in alphabetical order looks very strange indeed.

Funny how the presenter is allowed to be at the top, out of alpha order. Presumably she's more important than everyone else.

I can't see why the dancers' ranks need to be shown anyway.

• Like 2

I think it’s incredibly rude of them not to give a special thanks to the Royla Ballet for allowing their pianist to appear at this Insight, what a way to treat a guest appearance! 😱

In my dream role of Head of Pamphlets I would list the presenter first and then everyone in order of appearance and provide a helpline number at the bottom for people requiring counselling. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I can't see why the dancers' ranks need to be shown anyway.

I think that you'll find that it matters to them for all sorts of (good) reasons. It's a right and proper courtesy, after all

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that you'll find that it matters to them for all sorts of (good) reasons. It's a right and proper courtesy, after all

Ah, I see what you mean. They're there in their own right, so to speak, not just as performers (as during a performance, when their ranks are not shown on cast lists).

17 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Ah, I see what you mean. They're there in their own right, so to speak, not just as performers (as during a performance, when their ranks are not shown on cast lists).

It simply tells you who they are.  If you were seeing the insight as somebody who was not familiar with the company, you might not know who e.g. Yasmine Naghdi is, or her role in the event, whereas if you were reading a cast list you *know* she's a dancer because she's listed opposite her character.  It's no different from participants in opera insights having "Soprano" or "Conductor" listed against their name.  Though come to think of it, I can't remember how they list it when the presenter is an artist themselves (e.g. Kristin McNally or Alexander Campbell presenting the RB insights, or Angel Blue presenting the recent Traviata one).

• Like 2

Mentioning the dancers rank correctly is simply a matter of showing respect towards a dancer.

Yes all dancers deserve admiration and respect but a dancer who has ultimately achieved the highest rank of principal in a company deserves the highest respect: simply listing their name (without mentioning their rank) is disrespectful.

You are not going to list a social worker, a nurse, a GP,  a consultant (how ever important any one of them is!!) next to one another without mentioning their title reflecting their achievements, degree of responsibility, degree of education and level of experience. 

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

and provide a helpline number at the bottom for people requiring counselling. 

Counselling for what, RobS?

7 minutes ago, Sim said:

Counselling for what, RobS?

In case you think my decision to list them in order of appearance is stupid and that height order would’ve been a lot more logical. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

In case you think my decision to list them in order of appearance is stupid and that height order would’ve been a lot more logical. 

Ahhhh, some sarcasm here.  I get it.

I enjoyed it tremendously.  Please do continue on this excellent forum to give us a 'heads up' when these rehearsals take place.  I am sure that there are a lot of us who otherwise would not know about them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fiona said:

I enjoyed it tremendously.  Please do continue on this excellent forum to give us a 'heads up' when these rehearsals take place.  I am sure that there are a lot of us who otherwise would not know about them.

Me for example as I previously posted in the Don Q Insight thread. it's great if someone posts it here as the ROH seem incapable of putting such important information on their own website.

• Like 2

I only found out about it thanks to Claire Calvert’s instagram a couple of hours later. 

12 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Marcelino Sambe and Yasmine Naghdi will surely deliver a firecracker performance (my only concern is that Marcelino Sambe is too short for Yasmine Naghdi and I hope he's able to work on partnering her well by the time they are ready to go on stage).

Might that have been why they seemed to be having issues during the rehearsal with moves that involved him supporting her pirouettes? I did wonder while watching the livestream if the was the root cause was that he couldn't reach high enough relative to her reaching up.

32 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Might that have been why they seemed to be having issues during the rehearsal with moves that involved him supporting her pirouettes? I did wonder while watching the livestream if the was the root cause was that he couldn't reach high enough relative to her reaching up.

I saw the same. I hope that rather than just not being tall enough that he was slightly off in his positioning so his arm was on a diagonal when it shouldn't be. They said they'd danced together before, just not in principal roles, so you'd think the AD would know whether he was tall enough or not.

However, on to other things - that jump - I'd go just to see that.

• Like 2

Sambe and Naghdi danced together in Manon but what else did they dance?  

He clearly couldn't reach high enough in order to hold her hand/finger in order to enable her to execute her routine. Hopefully he can sort this all out by the time he has to partner her in March.

• Like 1

Much as I enjoyed seeing Naghdi and Sambe in rehearsal together the height problem or potential problem came across to me too. It seemed she was possibly taller than him when she was on pointe. Didn't he partner Hayward in La Fille? I always thought she would be a better partner for him especially for the classics for just this reason as she is so small. Obviously she's not available at the moment so this option isn't possible. I'm sure they'll sort it before the performance and am really looking forward to seeing them. Judging by the rehearsal they will be amazing together; can't wait!

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me about the January 31st Insight?  It was described as 'Masters of Ballet', so could  refer to choreographers, companies or dancers

and I was hoping it would be filmed but it isn't on YouTube.

Linda

The Insight event at the end of January was a talk about Petipa and Ivanov which was not, in my opinion, half as insightful as it should have been. It was on a par with the talk which Alistair Macauley gave years ago on the Sleeping Beauty. I am sorry that I can't be more positive about the January event but in both cases I felt that I had wasted  my time and my money on non-events.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FLOSS said:

The Insight event at the end of January was a talk about Petipa and Ivanov which was not, in my opinion, half as insightful as it should have been. It was on a par with the talk which Alistair Macauley gave years ago on the Sleeping Beauty. I am sorry that I can't be more positive about the January event but in both cases I felt that I had wasted  my time and my money on non-events.

They should have hired you, FLOSS 😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Much as I enjoyed seeing Naghdi and Sambe in rehearsal together the height problem or potential problem came across to me too. It seemed she was possibly taller than him when she was on pointe.

19 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

He clearly couldn't reach high enough in order to hold her hand/finger in order to enable her to execute her routine. Hopefully he can sort this all out by the time he has to partner her in March.

A ballerina on pointe, with long arms extended up, can work out at quite a height!

I am sure they they will find  a way around this. They did seem to manage to get it right at least once.

Watching  the RB Don Q recording recently I noticed Nunez looked slightly taller than Acosta when on pointe - though I think the  Naghdi and Sambe difference is a bit more obvious. 

Edited by Richard LH

Something I noticed in the studio, which doesn't quite come across on the recording, is how closely and intently Samantha Raine watched every move the girls made when they were dancing. In giving her corrections (which she always does in a very positive and supportive way) she comes across as being really on top of the correct choreography  and positioning for every step. 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

the girls made when they were dancing

For your information Richard: the ballet world has really moved away from calling female professional dancers "girls".

Claire Calvert (if I am correct) is 30 years old, I believe Isabella Gasparini is 31 or 32 and Anna Rose O'Sullivan must be about 25 years old....hardly girls anymore :) 

During rehearsal they are called "ladies". 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Something I noticed in the studio, which doesn't quite come across on the recording, is how closely and intently Samantha Raine watched every move the girls made when they were dancing. In giving her corrections (which she always does in a very positive and supportive way) she comes across as being really on top of the correct choreography  and positioning for every step. 

Ms Raine is a truly wonderful ballet mistress. She has done great things with the corps de ballet in recent years...witness the near perfection of  🦢Swans, Shades and Wilis.  A joy to behold, over and over again.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

For your information Richard: the ballet world has really moved away from calling female professional dancers "girls".

Claire Calvert (if I am correct) is 30 years old, I believe Isabella Gasparini is 31 or 32 and Anna Rose O'Sullivan must be about 25 years old....hardly girls anymore :) 

During rehearsal they are called "ladies". 

The RB ballet mistress seems to use the terms "girls" and "ladies" interchangeably. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

The RB ballet mistress seems to use the terms "girls" and "ladies" interchangeably. 

This absolutely isn’t intended as criticism of present company, but if I were a dancer sensitive to this kind of thing I’d probably give more leeway to a long-standing female colleague than to a man I didn’t know well.

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

This absolutely isn’t intended as criticism of present company, but if I were a dancer sensitive to this kind of thing I’d probably give more leeway to a long-standing female colleague than to a man I didn’t know well.

Any presents I send are always addressed to "The ladies of the corps de ballet" or "The gentlemen of the corps de ballet", as appropriate.

• Like 4