Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake, 2018-2019

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who has Instagram there’s currently a fun little “interview” with the three Swans/Strangers on the Sadler’s Wells account. It’s only going to be there for the next 2-3 hours, though. Wish I’d spotted it sooner!

• Like 1

Matthew Ball's performance tonight was excellent. Otherwise I fear I am in a minority....I realise Bourne is not really for me.

It's a good many years since I saw the MB Swan Lake.  I can remember thinking the early scenes dragged a bit, and just wanting to watch the swans which I thought in that first run were really beautiful and poetic....This time  it was  much more so. The first 45 minutes seemed to go on and on with far too little dancing ( and the wonderful music thrown away) and a great many repetitive and rather feeble jokes-  I thought. My companions all said 'Too long'! as we came out of part 1- and felt the points were very laboured..'we get it'- no need for the hitting us over the head with the points....the royalty jokes and ballet pastiche seemed interminable and not really funny, and the storyline was impenetrable.

However, the swan scenes still seemed very poetic and beautiful- even if as others have said Ball's presence does rather show up other dancers ( and he  very noticeably had about 4 muscles for every 1 of the other dancers on stage!)

In the last scene the swan corps came into their own in their circling, hissing frenzy- a very powerful scene indeed.

Ball's black swan could not compete with my memory of Adam Cooper- noone could! and there was a slight shade of 'nice boy pretending to be bad' I thought. But nonetheless he was compelling to watch. And his good swan in the last scene was powerfully moving.

It was definitely worth the trip. But- for me,  there was just too much padding.

Also, although The Queen was excellent- and of course there were many good dancers  -  I didn't feel the overall quality of dancing was quite sharp and consistent enough.

It has made me really appreciate the amazingly high standard of dance throughout the company in RB, BRB, ENB though - oh and many other companies I have seen in the past years- all the more.

• Like 7

Of course Jan-quite right -  I realise it is not a ballet. It wouldn't be right to make a direct comparison . But I thought the overall standard of dancing last night left something to be desired, regardless of style. And Bourne's choreography doesn't always satisfy me. That's the word- it was just unsatisying in parts- I was longing for some real dancing to that music - in any style you like! at times.

It is hard, as others have said not to think, while watching it, of the many Swan Lakes one has seen- and also, having a ballet principal in the  middle of it did rather point up the contrasts.

(I was trying to explain the similarities and differences  to a traditional ballet Swan Lake to my husband, who often goes with me but is not an expert- and by the time I had said something like 'Matthew Ball should be good in Matthew Bourne's ball scene' I realised I'd lost him....)

• Like 4

I saw the matinee yesterday afternoon, with Will Bozier, and James Lovell as the Prince.  

I have seen this production several times in the past, and loved it.  I have to say I was a little bit disappointed on this occasion.  Although Lovell was fine, I didn't think Bozier's dancing was as good as that of Swans I have seen in the past.  Somebody else mentioned his feet, and they bothered me as well.  They seemed to be properly pointed on several occasions, and came across as a bit flappy (for want of a better word.)  

Several things seem to have changed.  I don't remember the cygnets being played so much for laughs last time.  I thought they came on hissing and spitting at each other, which was missing.  Also, I seem to remember in the Black scene, the costume for the lead was a longer coat?  The one last night looked a bit shorter, and at times I was having trouble at times trying to distinguish him from the rest of the black coated men.   He just didn't come across as sexy enough.  For me, anyway.  

On other occasions, I have been very moved at the end.  This time, it was spoilt because the mirror at the back of the stage wasn't angled properly.  Consequently, we had a wonderful view of the conductor waving his arms energetically, and glimpses of the violin bows going up and down.  Needless to say this was very distracting, and also obscured the swan and prince at the end.  This is not the start of the run, so that really was extremely annoying.  

• Like 2

So, this Swan Lake addict is going again to the last show at Sadlers Wells this Sunday matinee ( Matthew Ball ) Any other balletcoforumers going to be there and fancy a Get Together  in the intervals ?  

About time ‘get-togethers’ were officially reinstated ?!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mandy Kent said:

......... fancy a Get Together  in the intervals ?  

Just to say that there is only one interval - after about 75 minutes of Acts 1/2. Acts 3/4 are also rolled together with just a short pause in between.

Finally caught the Matthew Ball/Liam Mower cast last night, both of them electrifying. I particularly  liked Matthew's seductive stranger and Liam's abillity to take us with him on The Prince's emotional journey. The fact that their dance quality was in a league of its own in that company seemed to enhance the arc of the story.

I thought that the ballet itself would benefit from judicious pruning, especially in Act 1. A bit too much repetition of moves and group routines for me.

Don't forget that Matthew is talking at The  Ballet Association on Wednesday, 30th January. See here:  http://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/261-ballet-association-news-of-upcoming-talks-and-events/

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Swan Lake opened in Liverpool tonight with Max Westwell and Liam Mower leading the cast.

I thought Max was good in act 1 but really came into his own in act 2.  His performance in the ballroom scene fair took my breath away and he was incredibly moving in the final scenes.  His interactions with the magnificent Liam were heart-rending.

Five months into the tour and the production is looking really good.

I have to admit to being in floods at the end.

As seems the norm these days the audience gave a whooping and hollering standing ovation.  

I can't see a third Swan listed although 3 Princes are listed on the website.

All I know (I'm sure I saw something in a recent interview with Matthew Bourne) is that Matthew Ball is performing the Swan on Friday night and Saturday night.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2019 at 16:41, Timmie said:

Thanks Jan. I've watched the MB Swan Lake recording a couple of times now and I'm not sure I'd enjoy it live and was relying on at least having the music live. The problem is when I watch it and I hear the music I can't help but think of all the traditional Swan Lakes with the classical ballet and feel I wish I was watching that instead.

I get that Timmie takes time but I love them both.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Matthew Ball is just about to feature on North West Tonight.  Local news programmes are usually only available for 24 hours after broadcast on the iPlayer.

Thanks for the heads-up Jan. I just watched the interview with Matty 🤩

It's around 13 mins in from the start and can still be downloaded from the BBC North West news programme. Lovely to see some rehearsal clips and to hear how Matthew and his parents feel about bringing Swan Lake, starring Matthew, to his home town. And they said tickets are STILL AVAILABLE ! 

• Like 1

Oh wow!!!!  I'm almost lost for words!

Tonight the atmosphere in the Liverpool Empire was electric from the moment the lights went down.  And audience expectation was well and truly met!  I think the whole company sparked off the atmosphere and we were treated to something very special indeed.  Matthew Ball and Dominic North took us to the stratosphere with their intense, emotional and downright FANTASTIC performance.  Of course we all leapt to our feet at the end.

It was one of those nights where I can look back and say "I was there"!

Thankyou to Matthew Bourne and Kevin O'Hare for allowing us this special treat.

• Like 7

Tonight's performance starring Matt Ball and Dominic North as the Prince was unsurprisingly a huge success. I went on the opening night here in Liverpool and Max Westwell  danced the Swan and Liam Mower was the Prince the performers received an immediate standing ovation then. All the dancers performed well. But Liam Mower was particularly touching. I couldn't help but feel his pain and loneliness. I of course went to the Friday and Saturday performances of Matt Ball. The prince was danced by Dominic North. And what a show we got. Matt was just fantastic, I was struck by just how beautiful his arms were/are. I would of loved to see him partnered with Liam Mower, there was just such a tragic quality to his performance that was intense. This young man is a wonderful artist. The response again was loud and enthusiastic. And I think the performers appreciated the loud applause and cheers - especially last night when (family & friends?) started to chant "oh Matty, Matty. Matty, Matty, Matty, Matty Ball". Like a football chant. It was endearing, and typical in this football crazy city. But it was an honest and heartfelt response to a son of the city. It brought a tear to my eye - and a huge grin to Matt and the dancers. An unforgettable experience.

• Like 6

We went to the matinee yesterday, was amazing! We had front row seats which I wasn’t sure about having had to lean back in other theatres but this wasn’t an issue. DS (11) said he almost felt he was on the lake with the swans, especially when he was enveloped in dry ice! 😆 

Our favourite parts were when the ballet was staged in the ballet and obviously the dramatic build up and ending.

slight issue with someone who had taken a maybe 4 year old, who then consequently squealed for a fair bit of the show. Why do people do that?? 

Overall though, was a good experience, Liam sent DS a tweet to say he’d seen him on the front row, and hoped to dance with him which made his day. We went home on the train humming the music and wondering if in 10/15 years DS might have his name on the cast list. (He’d pretended to write it on while we were there!)

😁😁😁😁😁

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sharon said:

Liam Mower was particularly touching. I couldn't help but feel his pain and loneliness. I of course went to the Friday and Saturday performances of Matt Ball. The prince was danced by Dominic North. And what a show we got. Matt was just fantastic, I was struck by just how beautiful his arms were/are. I would of loved to see him partnered with Liam Mower, there was just such a tragic quality to his performance that was intense.

Some of us were lucky enough to catch Matthew Ball and Liam Mower together earlier in the run. Both fabulous.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrsMoo2 said:

We went to the matinee yesterday, was amazing! We had front row seats which I wasn’t sure about having had to lean back in other theatres but this wasn’t an issue. DS (11) said he almost felt he was on the lake with the swans, especially when he was enveloped in dry ice! 😆 

Or "within sweat-flicking distance", as I used to call it :)  (but didn't they have an orchestra in the way at the Dominion Theatre?)

I am so pleased that I got to watch Max Westwell as the Swan/ Stranger this afternoon with Liam Mower as the Prince. 

It was my first time to watch Max in the lead role and I was not disappointed. He has a physicality and presence that holds the eye and his ballet training ( ex ENB) is evident from his beautiful pointed feet to his strong feral leaps. His Swan was very powerful and fierce.His Stranger was HOT ! Oh my ! The Tango between the Stranger and the Prince was full of tension and menace.

Liam Mower is one of the best Princes I’ve ever seen, in my view up there with Scott Ambler ( rip) and Matthew Hart. He moved me to tears and his dancing is so light , effortless, and balletic... more so than the original choreography made on Scott. I usually concentrate on the Swan in the pdd between Swan and Prince, but today I was focusing more on Liam , not to detract from Max , but Liam is just so good .

Back for more this evening with Will Bozier and Dominic North. 

I didn’t find the recorded music a problem But the tempo seemed faster at times than the live orchestra at Sadlers Wells... not sure ! 

• Like 2

So, tonight’s performance was yet another example of how a show can transport you to another realm even when you’ve seen it many times before. It helped that I was in the stalls with an excellent view and could pick up all the details and nuances of the performance. 

Will Bozier was the Swan/Stranger tonight and I have watched him grow and develop in his portrayal of this dual role, from the first weeks at Sadlers Wells. His Swan is so impressive, imperious, regal yet animalistic. His dancing is less balletic than Matthew Ball and Max Westwell but it is so watchable , powerful and graceful, with wonderful arms and very expressive eyes. I admit he is my favourite Swan of this run even though Matthew was superb and I thoroughly enjoyed Max Westwell this afternoon. Just something about Will’s interpretation that feels right to me. His Stranger was sexy and enigmatic and ferocious. 

Dominic North’s Prince was another fine performance. Again his dancing style is less balletic than Liam Mower but I felt was more like Scott Ambler’s interpretation... Dominic and Will are a good pairing. 

A big Brava to Katrina Lyndon who was The Queen this afternoon and the Girlfriend this evening showing how versatile a dance actress she is. 

I also always notice Jonathan Luke Baker who was a Big Swan at the matinee and The Private Secretary tonight. He has a very natural stage presence and expressive features, always one to watch.

Many thanks to all the dancers and crew and huge congratulations to Sir Matthew Bourne for his masterpiece Swan Lake and his special award at The Olivier Awards.

Happy Easter and Happy Passover to all who celebrate . 

Mandy 

• Like 4