Geoff

The "new" Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

36 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Is it a secret this Ballet Association?

If you type “the ballet association” into google, it’s the first result.

12 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

If you type “the ballet association” into google, it’s the first result.

I googled and it came up second!  Here's the result:

http://balletassociation.co.uk

11 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

That’s odd - when I tried a few minutes ago it was first (and I’m currently in Florida)!

USA always top of pile

• Like 1

6 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Is it a secret this Ballet Association?

No.  That's why we have a thread about it in the News section :) 

• Like 1

The Ballet Association has been running for many years. I discovered it quite by accident through a random Google search. Basically it's fan club for the Royal Ballet and the RB are very generous with their time in talking to the association

www.balletassociation.co.uk/

They hold meetings about once a month in London and the interviews are really interesting.  It's also very reasonable in terms of membership fees / events etc. 

For anyone living in London in particular, I'd recommend it highly. Apparently membership is declining at the moment.    

• Like 1

The Ballet Association also arranges visits, sometimes with other organisations - seeing the Royal Ballet Upper School in class is always a highlight of the year.

I'd say a supporters' club rather than a fan club, but yes, its aim is to support both Royal Ballet companies.  Marianela Nunez is the guest next month, following on from Thiago Soares, Matthew Ball and Lauren Cuthbertson over recent months.

On 09/03/2019 at 00:22, penelopesimpson said:

Yes, I see that but it says nothing about the Meeting, hence my query.

That would presumably be because the meeting has already happened, so is no longer an upcoming event, but it’s too soon for the report to have been uploaded yet, so it’s not in the archives either. Patience...

• Like 2

The Royal Opera House’s News page includes an item on the Romeo & Juliet Insight on 13 March.  Good to see News being used, although a day or two after the Insight was publicised on Facebook.

But the item includes the ‘Comments for this article are closed’ statement, not that a facility to comment was ever provided.  In the last week or so this statement has appeared on a number of News items and I fear it may be the norm.  I wonder if the ROH doesn’t like the way comments have been used to ask pertinent questions (for example the Forza ticketing problems)?

If the ROH is abandoning comments for News items, a much better statement would be ‘Comments are welcome on Facebook or Twitter’.  But with social media comments seem a bit more ephemeral and there doesn’t appear to be a culture of question/challenge and the organisation responding.  I’m much more interested in the answer than the question being posed. 

If the ROH is moving away from proper engagement with audiences I find this disappointing and a retrograde step for management to take, avoiding accountability/scrutiny.

I also noticed that on Frankenstein, the ROH posted the first press review (Anna Winter for The Stage) but quickly (within hours) withdrew the link.  For some days there was a message saying press reviews would be added and today five links have indeed been added, including the Anna Winter review and a couple more supportive reviews.  Again I wonder if the ROH is showing itself as being rather too keen to play games.

I do hope Alex Beard provided some assurances to the Ballet Assiciation that the ROH wishes to engage with audience members and is addressing concerns raised.  I look forward to reading the report in due course but I’m left feeling more than a little uneasy.  

• Like 8

Agree with JohnS. There seems to be a new and unwelcome culture of 'them and us' creeping in. After all the promises given in conjunction with the Open Up project,  is seems to.me that management are doing what they think they will with little or no consideration for the paying public. The majority of FOH staff are pleasant and friendly, but the apparent barriers being put up in the form of lack of casting information,  lack of news on the web site, and refusal to accept comments made on News items is creating an unpleasant atmosphere.

• Like 7

I agree.  Their very hard-working performers are subjected to criticism and analysis every time they walk out onto that stage.  What makes the management think they are exempt from this?  If you run a public entity, be it in the arts or anywhere else, you are accountable to those who attend what you have to offer.  They do pay for their tickets after all;  don't they deserve a voice anymore?  And if they do get heard, do they get listened to?  

• Like 2

On 11/03/2019 at 19:49, JohnS said:

The Royal Opera House’s News page includes an item on the Romeo & Juliet Insight on 13 March.  Good to see News being used, although a day or two after the Insight was publicised on Facebook.

But the item includes the ‘Comments for this article are closed’ statement, not that a facility to comment was ever provided.  In the last week or so this statement has appeared on a number of News items and I fear it may be the norm.  I wonder if the ROH doesn’t like the way comments have been used to ask pertinent questions (for example the Forza ticketing problems)?

is the comments section to be used during/after the streaming? It being closed beforehand, would then make sense. Otherwise, why make any mention of commenting at all?

5 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

is the comments section to be used during/after the streaming? It being closed beforehand, would then make sense. Otherwise, why make any mention of commenting at all?

Forza Insight 5 March News still shows ‘comments closed’ - but never opened.

Last night, at Frankenstein, I was sitting next to two young ladies who had got student tickets. One of them was very happy to be in the Stalls Circle - her earlier visits had usually been in the amphi. She seemed to be a fairly regular theatre goer,but only occasional ballet. I asked her if she'd be seeing R and J, to which she replied that she didn't know it was on. What is the Marketing Department doing if with all its insistence on social media if people aren't getting even the most basic information?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Last night, at Frankenstein, I was sitting next to two young ladies who had got student tickets. One of them was very happy to be in the Stalls Circle - her earlier visits had usually been in the amphi. She seemed to be a fairly regular theatre goer,but only occasional ballet. I asked her if she'd be seeing R and J, to which she replied that she didn't know it was on. What is the Marketing Department doing if with all its insistence on social media if people aren't getting even the most basic information?

That implies that students are seen as (only) discount ticket targets, rather than (also) as targets for building a future audience. Which is incredibly short sighted.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

I asked her if she'd be seeing R and J, to which she replied that she didn't know it was on. What is the Marketing Department doing if with all its insistence on social media if people aren't getting even the most basic information?

I don't think you can draw conclusions like that from one unaware person. It is not as if tickets for R&J  aren't selling.  If anyone is at all interested in ballet, it doesn't take much to find out what is on. Surely people are not yet so spoon fed by social media  that they simply wait for any suggestions it may happen to throw their way, rather than proactively searching themselves for events of interest. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

don't think you can draw conclusions like that from one unaware person. It is not as if tickets for R&J  aren't selling

I realise she may just have missed out on getting information, but I still think more could be done to promote performances at the ROH

• Like 4

Just seen on Instagram (no mention on website) that the ROH has been shortlisted for a RIBA London award following the Open Up work. I’m not sure which other buildings are shortlisted but noticed that the South Bank Centre (presumably for the work done to QE Hall/Hayward Gallery and whathaveyou) is one. 

https://www.instagram.com/royaloperahouse/p/BvMoxZcBFXl/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=rq75b1pht6c

Have a look at things that have won awards in the past.  One is described as having "lots of lovely concrete."  

My brother (and I’m sure he didn’t invent it) uses the expression “award-winning architecture” as shorthand for the kind of buildings admired by architects but not those who have to actually use them.

• Like 7

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:26, Lizbie1 said:

My brother (and I’m sure he didn’t invent it) uses the expression “award-winning architecture” as shorthand for the kind of buildings admired by architects but not those who have to actually use them.

I would also apply that to the kind of buildings or developments (e.g. Open Up) that look terrific in artfully taken photos, and nothing like as impressive when seen in real life.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2019 at 10:58, Pas de Quatre said:

And when applied to houses, it means sterile boxes that look like an airport hotel.

...and which are featured on Grand Designs (the owners having alienated their neighbours in the process). 

• Like 1