The "new" Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

so, paying punters are frozen out of the 'piazza bar' area unless you buy a drink or some nibbles. Hardly seems a roaring success - this evening there were about 6 people in there for the first interval, second interval about 4. Everyone else squashed into the external area, or the area with bar stools.

Cheers!

• Like 3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was busy the night of the Matthew Ball Insight during opera intervals. Quite honestly was enjoying the peace and quiet till people streamed outside! 

Lots of people seemed to just order a coffee or soft drink and they were playing a selection of ballet music which was lovely to enjoy. I actually thought it was a lovely use of the space.

The Piazza Restaurant/Bar appears to have succumbed to pressure and released some tables for the audience.  The entrance to the restaurant/bar is now half way along the left-hand terrace.

For the interval of Andrea Chenier, the audience section was packed;  all seats and tables taken and about 30 people standing with their backs along the glass of the Level 5 Restaurant - standing room only.  Beyond the entrance to the Piazza Restaurant/Bar, two couples from the street were drinking wine and we all looked across the potted palms at rows of empty tables and chairs.  Two waiters stood forlornly at the entrance to the bar, waiting for customers.

• Like 5

Funny how we regulars predict these snaffoo's with such accuracy.  One could almost think we understand how the place operates.

The Level 5 restaurant does not work as it is at present.  The only time I've seen it anywhere near capacity was for Kaufmann.  Whereas in the past nobody minded people bringing in their own sandwiches and even a discreet bottle or two (indeed I thought it was nice that ROH allowed this), now that in the choicest spaces are open to people with no intention of attending a performance, this has, predictably, become an issue.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Whereas in the past nobody minded people bringing in their own sandwiches and even a discreet bottle or two (indeed I thought it was nice that ROH allowed this), now that in the choicest spaces are open to people with no intention of attending a performance, this has, predictably, become an issue.

Earlier in the week, this policy was not only applied to those who'd bought their sandwiches elsewhere.  People were turned away from the new Piazza Terrace Bar if they'd bought their glasses of wine or hot drinks from the main Amphitheatre Bar.  When I queried this, I was told that this was the stated policy of the new Bar.  Anyone who wanted to sit there had to buy food and drinks from the Piazza Terrace Bar itself and not from other bars in the ROH.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluebird said:

Earlier in the week, this policy was not only applied to those who'd bought their sandwiches elsewhere.  People were turned away from the new Piazza Terrace Bar if they'd bought their glasses of wine or hot drinks from the main Amphitheatre Bar.  When I queried this, I was told that this was the stated policy of the new Bar.  Anyone who wanted to sit there had to buy food and drinks from the Piazza Terrace Bar itself and not from other bars in the ROH.  

That's awful. I mean you can drift down into the Paul Hamlyn bar (or whatever it's called) and generally wander round with your drink if you want. Evidently the terrace has suddenly become an elite zone. Very Open Up.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

Are the prices the same as the main Amphitheatre Bar, does anybody know?  I have waded through the various options, but although I can find prices for the food, there is no drinks menu.  I am assuming they must be more expensive, otherwise why bother to make it "exclusive".  I can't see the point of this area at all.  Surely the main customer base is going to be all those people surging out of the amphitheatre during the intervals of the performances?  

I find the whole idea of having a restaurant in an opera house that is open to anybody absurd.  Why would anybody who doesn't have a ticket choose to eat there, when the menu isn't particularly exciting and rather expensive.  There is so much competition in the surrounding areas, I just don't see why anyone would choose it in the first place.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Fonty said:

I find the whole idea of having a restaurant in an opera house that is open to anybody absurd.  Why would anybody who doesn't have a ticket choose to eat there, when the menu isn't particularly exciting and rather expensive.  There is so much competition in the surrounding areas, I just don't see why anyone would choose it in the first place.  

The Leeds Playhouse has always had a cafe open to the public and it's been a lovely place to sit and while the time away.  I hope it is still there when the theatre reopens in October.

It seems to be "the thing" - there is a "posh" restaurant at the Lowry but the menu doesn't appeal to me at all...

3 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Why would anybody who doesn't have a ticket choose to eat there, when the menu isn't particularly exciting and rather expensive.  There is so much competition in the surrounding areas, I just don't see why anyone would choose it in the first place.  

That’s exactly it! Why if they’re failing to draw in the captive audience do they think they’ll do better with people without the same constraints of time and location?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

The Leeds Playhouse has always had a cafe open to the public and it's been a lovely place to sit and while the time away.  I hope it is still there when the theatre reopens in October.

It seems to be "the thing" - there is a "posh" restaurant at the Lowry but the menu doesn't appeal to me at all...

But I wouldn't call the Amphitheatre restaurant a lovely place!  At least, not now it has been redesigned in such a bland way.  The terrace has a nice view, but you can get the same view from the bar opposite and a better selection of drinks at a cheaper price.  Or you could the last time I was there, which admittedly was some time ago.  

• Like 1

I looked at the menu of this new area and noticed there were no soft drinks,  it also says no eating or drinking your own food, luckily I still managed to get out into the open air terrace, although there is also a new "afternoon tea" service from 2.30-5.30 on the terrace, presumably in that area, all very confusing.

ever selfless on behalf of Ballet Forum, I carried out some research and have discovered to my surprise that the price of a 175ml glass of 'house' white wine ( they are different wines) is as follows:

amphi bar 6.10

amphi restaurant 7.00

Piazza Bar 8.75.

• Like 14

Yes it was a bit much at a matinee wasn't it 😄

Actually I had some free water.

To be fair they were different wines.

I think at the Piazza bar outside, you are also being waited on, so you are going to pay more.

But then so are you in the amphi restaurant. Very odd.

A very small bowl of  nuts to go with your wine is £5.

Edited by Mary

So now the Open Up, all welcome, BYO food and drink, dump your luggage,use the necessary, have a meeting, get out of the cold, policy is what exactly?  All those new people who have been told ROH is a tourist destination are to be paid for by overcharging ticketed patrons who buy a drink.  Sounds a bit like the Titanic; First Class on the Piazza Terrace, 2nd Class in the Floral Hall, Steerage on the Ampitheatre Terrace and ticketless stowaways in the station waiting room or ducking and diving with BYO!

• Like 4

Of course Covent Garden was always lacking in seating without having to pay for a drink, and toilet facilities, and the ROH has kindly provided these, but on Wednesday I got there early and really felt out of place, Steerage or Stowaway perhaps, I went for a walk and felt better when I returned, more like I belonged, it takes a lot of getting used to :)

• Like 2

It feels muddled & confusing.... could not work out at all where one was or wasn’t allowed to be with a drink in the interval.... or how to go to the more expensive be served place.... all looked open access but yet didn’t feel that it was... guessing it was the bleak part of terrace with fewer people at it? I only saw an easel with menu for this section after buying drink at bar..shame as this area had much more extensive drinks choices...though I question if there would be time in an interval so perhaps this is more aimed at visit to this bar/restaurant as main reason for visiting the ROH.

But there is no discreet restaurant on top floor anymore....Would not feel ‘special’ being gawped at by all & sundry whilst parting with big sums to dine there.... the old one (only went the once sadly) was perfect for a special occasion. I also imagine less ideal for any celebrities as again too on show, too open to all (I think we all actually like to have different levels to experience at different times...) & how does this possibly work for security? When I go to a theatre I love the fact that everyone in the building is there for a shared reason. There is a special temporary camaraderie that develops. This new free flow in & out, whilst honourable & admirable in its intentions, seems to devalue the brand IMHO. As do the flimsy already looking wobbly & scruffy retro styled tables & chairs. Especially horrid are the tall tables with spindly legs. Proportions look wrong, lifespan looks short & where is the glamour of a World Famous Opera House?

Sorry for my rambling rant!

I miss the ‘old’ place....Sigh.....

• Like 9

I've been thinking about this whole scenario with the 'new' ROH.  I know nothing about the Chief Exec and people say he is a good egg, but somebody somewhere seems to have lost the plot.

We start with the premise that despite the fact ROH is almost always playing to full-houses and has a core supportive audience that other brands/organisations would kill for, the management has convinced itself that it needs to change.  Such change seems to be aimed at paring back anything that might be construed as glamorous or elitist because the image of 'toffs' swigging champagne, however erroneous, is harmful.  We are not told quite who this is harmful to, nor is it acknowleged that the vast majority of patrons do not fit this stereotype and are attending because they love ballet and opera.

One might think that the obvious way forward would be to concentrate on the product but no, the chiefs decide that building a massive new extension to accommodate people who may not wish to see or even learn about a performance is the way to go.  At the same time, other areas will be re-structured with the same aim.  When you write this down it seems extraordinary...but read on.

Construction, allegedly paid for by sponsors, takes four years and massively disrupts the building.  The end result is a mediocre all-purpose area with zero atmosphere and only a passing glance towards the Arts.  Astonishingly, no room can be found for the box office, surely the engine room of ROH.  Alterations to bars and restaurants are expensive follies, now committed to justifying their high cost through raised prices.  Nowhere is there any evidence of artistic flair, design excellence or architectural wonder.  In short this international Opera House has been shorn of its glamour.

And this is the punchline.  ROH promoted as a tourist destination.  People told they can now come in and share the wonders of this great international Opera House and find there is little to see.  Isn't this where we came in?

• Like 5

Saw the "new" ROH for the first time two weeks ago and wasn't a fan. The new space makes the ROH feel like two different buildings: a Marriott juxtaposed with a beautiful opera house.

Not sure what I feel about letting the public in at all hours of the day. It would be fairly easy for someone to attend a performance having not purchased a ticket (provided it isn't sold out, as the mixed rep wasn't last Tuesday/Wednesday), particularly after first interval when ushers aren't vigilant. I was also hoping the new space would provide an expanded gift shop or a real box office, but to no avail (supposedly the box office is moving?) 

Overall the new space feels perfunctory, not a good thing when part of one of the leading opera houses in the world. Personally I don't mind a bit of opulence, especially having just toured the beautiful Staatsoper Berlin. Covent Garden is one of my favorite theaters, but the open-up doesn't do it justice.

3 hours ago, MRR said:

Overall the new space feels perfunctory, not a good thing when part of one of the leading opera houses in the world.

to be fair, the new 'covered' bar outside the amphi bar area, is pretty good. When you can get into it, that is

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MargaretN7 said:

The box office HAS moved. It's now in the corner of the café (described as Main Foyer on the notice), along the wall with the Open Up display.

Ooh good, has it?  Just as the RB is finishing its season and I probably have little reason to use it?  I'm assuming the timing was NOT deliberate.

• Like 2

Reading all the comments and having "experienced" the Open Up initiative I would like to mention a couple of theatres where front of house rebuilding/construction worked and didn't work in my opinion.

Didn't work - the concrete carbuncle built on the side of the Liverpool Playhouse in the 1960s.

Did work - Bradford Alhambra's sensitively done extension (1980s), Edinburgh Festival Theatre's glass extension on the front of the traditional auditorium (1990s?).

• Like 2