The "new" Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:22, Scheherezade said:

If you are parking in the evenings, Richmondhill, it is worth looking in and around John Adam Street which almost always has street parking spaces which are free from 6.30 onwards.

I always get a space in Lincoln's Inn Fields, also free after 6.30pm.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an awful difficulty with the updated ROH site.

After clicking what's on, Tickets and Events pops up which is too loud to my taste.

Then I get lost.

Not easy to find the performances I am after.

My smart phone still shows previous version which lists up the event chronologically and which works better for me.

I can see what is coming at one grance instead of multiple clickings.

Internet Explorer displays the new version.

Chrome and safari display the previous or current version which is familiar to us all.

*added browser details.

Edited by yumiko
  • Like 1

Very pleased to have the previous-style cast sheets back.

No cast change slips at the matinée yesterday, but I now know to look at the (half-hidden half the time) screen by the (still unsigned) Amphi cloakroom, and there were indeed some changes going through at the bottom of the screen. So I went over and started writing them down (having to wait for the text to go through of course), and one of the staff offered me a sheet from which I could copy the changes, and assured me that they were only small roles. Every single time a member of staff has mentioned cast changes to me since Open Up, I've been told 'they're only small', regardless of what the changes have been. Every single time. I did say to this person (who was perfectly pleasant) that the role in The Two Pigeons (Elizabeth McGorian replaced by Kristen McNally) was not a small role but a significant one. (In fact it's insulting to any dancer who is being replaced to imply that it really doesn't matter.) She just looked confused.

I have to say that I really hate being subjected to this kind of corporate dishonesty. If there are cast changes, publicise them properly, don't pass (false) judgement on how important they may or may not be, and be done with it. Just stop all this stupidity.

• Like 9

Incidentally, I saw a reference a while back to the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane "opening up" once its revamp is finished, so the ROH is going to have competition!  (And let's face it, I've always thought it glitzier than the ROH)

• Like 1

Last night, the changes from the names on the cast sheet were on the screen and on notices. AND the major change to the advertised cast (i.e. Magri and Dyer in place of Morera/Bracewell) was mentioned as part of the opening announcement.

I too have experienced staff who (quite unnecessarily) diminish the significance of the changes on the slips. This, and other issues, raises questions about staff training.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

I didn't see any, so was blissfully unaware.

Oh dear. Mica Bradbury replaced Romany Pajdak as one of the Girl's friends. I saw signs - which I thought were a bit bigger/clearer than before, since I was actually able to see them - at the desk where I picked up the cast sheet and at the desk where ice creams are sold in the Amphi (so I assumed they were at all desks).

Thanks Bridiem. There was nothing at either the cloakroom programme point, or the desk in the main foyer. It's all a bit hit or miss. And the ticker tape thing at the bottom of the screen not easily visible with queues of people at the counter.

But nice to see at least a couple of tables in the PH being occupied by visitors enjoying the food they had  bought in with them - quite a spread in one case, although they had had the grace to buy wine.

15 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Perhaps BalletcoForum members should stage a protest by always wearing evening dress and hopefully top hats or tiaras everytime they go to ROH!

With the increased prices for Romeo and Juliet, I’d have to choose between buying evening dress and buying a ticket, never mind a tiara! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

An older man in full evening dress complete with top hat walked past us in the foyer a few minutes ago. I hope that all the "anti-elitist" ROH marketing people saw him & wept!

Prince Charles?! 

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

An older man in full evening dress complete with top hat walked past us in the foyer a few minutes ago. I hope that all the "anti-elitist" ROH marketing people saw him & wept!

Brilliant!  Wearing jeans or casual clothes has become so much the norm now, that I hope lots of young men start adopting this as a new trend.  

Now, where did I put my tiara?

• Like 3

Talking of R & J,  how much will they have to put up the ticket prices before we, the devoted ballet fans, say "Enough.  I'm not going, I simply cannot justify paying that much for a single performance."

I've just had a quick look, and practically all of the seats in the expensive areas, where the seats are all over £100 each,  have sold out early in the run.  Later performances still have a good number in nearly every area, but I expect those to be snapped up when it gets nearer the date. Won't that cause the management to chortle with glee, and encourage them to shove another £10 to £20 on each price band next year?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Won't that cause the management to chortle with glee, and encourage them to shove another £10 to £20 on each price band next year?

...at which point I think someone should start questioning what the subsidy is for, especially if they continue with their policy of increased ticket prices in what used to be the cheaper seats.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

...at which point I think someone should start questioning what the subsidy is for, especially if they continue with their policy of increased ticket prices in what used to be the cheaper seats.

Sadly, I think the most logical response would be for the subsidy to be reduced even more, on the grounds that the ticket buyers are prepared to pay the higher prices.      

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Sadly, I think the most logical response would be for the subsidy to be reduced even more, on the grounds that the ticket buyers are prepared to pay the higher prices.      

I don’t know - subsidies offer medium term security, whereas audiences can be fickle...especially when your people give out quotes effectively saying they’re trying to discourage repeat custom.

I think they’ve managed to convince themselves that they can have their cake and eat it: that first-timers will pay higher prices and that way they can meet ACE targets and increase ticket revenue. That may work in good times and when Swan Lake and starry operas are on, but IMO we’re beginning to see signs of that strategy fraying.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I don’t know - subsidies offer medium term security, whereas audiences can be fickle...especially when your people give out quotes effectively saying they’re trying to discourage repeat custom.

I think they’ve managed to convince themselves that they can have their cake and eat it: that first-timers will pay higher prices and that way they can meet ACE targets and increase ticket revenue. That may work in good times and when Swan Lake and starry operas are on, but IMO we’re beginning to see signs of that strategy fraying.

Tomorrow's 2 pigeons/vixen is still failing to sell. Shame for the students. Stalls circle and stalls will be half empty.  Will this be the first shock to their system? 

18 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Tomorrow's 2 pigeons/vixen is still failing to sell. Shame for the students. Stalls circle and stalls will be half empty.  Will this be the first shock to their system? 

Not necessarily. These shows are being offered as Student Standbys. The person next to me last night had paid £10 for her 'top price' seat.

22 hours ago, Darlex said:

Prince Charles?! 

Sadly not! He appeared to be in a lounge suit rather than evening dress.

11 hours ago, Fonty said:

Brilliant!  Wearing jeans or casual clothes has become so much the norm now, that I hope lots of young men start adopting this as a new trend.  

Now, where did I put my tiara?

I'd love to see that. When I read books from the first half of the 20th century that have description of theatres full of people in evening dress I always wish I could see that. Unfortunately, as someone who worked 8 hours yesterday before dashing to the station to get the train down to London, evening dress isn't really a practical option!

9 hours ago, Fonty said:

Talking of R & J,  how much will they have to put up the ticket prices before we, the devoted ballet fans, say "Enough.  I'm not going, I simply cannot justify paying that much for a single performance."

I've just had a quick look, and practically all of the seats in the expensive areas, where the seats are all over £100 each,  have sold out early in the run.  Later performances still have a good number in nearly every area, but I expect those to be snapped up when it gets nearer the date. Won't that cause the management to chortle with glee, and encourage them to shove another £10 to £20 on each price band next year?

I went for the "I cannot justify paying that much for a single performance but I'm going to anyway even if it means I can't pay the rent on time*." option. Perhaps other people did that too. I've only seen R&J once before & that was a different production so I would like to be able to see all of the RB's production, and the casts were so tempting I couldn't pick just one.

*NB I live with my mother so am unlikely to get evicted for late payment of rent. This option is probably not to be recommended for those renting commercially!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 3

On 13/02/2019 at 19:21, Blossom said:

Tomorrow's 2 pigeons/vixen is still failing to sell. Shame for the students. Stalls circle and stalls will be half empty.

Now yesterday's  2Ps/vixen ...I wonder how many empty seats there were in the end?

For the last performance, tomorrow's matinee, most of the "slack" now seems to have been taken up.

I think in a,strange way the ROH is encouraging the elitism that they say they are so keen to lose. Charging very high prices for starry operatic casts and ballets like Swan Lake and R and J probably causes no problems for those who want the 'Covent garden experience' and who treat a visit as a one off treat. My own R and J going is sadly reduced to one visit, in spite of very tempting casts. But the occasional visitor will probably bring more cash into the theatre by buying a programme, a meal, interval drinks etc than I will. And that's what they want, not a knowledgeable and dedicated audience.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Now yesterday's  2Ps/vixen ...I wonder how many empty seats there were in the end?

For the last performance, tomorrow's matinee, most of the "slack" now seems to have been taken up.

there seemed a lot of empty ones after the second interval, down in the stalls 😞

What's wrong with people?

• Like 5

Were they families with schoolchildren, perhaps?  If you have siblings in the RBS work, you may be needing to get home early for school the next day, I suppose, and the bill didn't finish until 10.20 on the first night.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 19:24, Dawnstar said:

Ah, he also had some sort of stick with him which looked as if he had come straight from the House of Commons and was Black Rod. 

I had an extraordinary experience in the new "open up" environment last week. I went to the rehearsal of DonQ and then had some time to kill before a business meeting elsewhere, so I set up in the new area at the far end, where I could power up my Laptop and do some serious work.  Someone else joined me on the table for 4, also because power was available which was fine but then 2 of his colleagues also sat down and started to have a full board meeting!  I had no problem with that as I was zoned out doing my work, but I began to realise they were talking about really confidential things - yes "open up" in all senses of the word. 

I let it go, as I wasn't interested, but when I got up to leave, I did say to them something along the lines of - it's really risky to talk about things like this when you have no idea who I am.

I work for a company who constantly remind us not to have phone calls in public places (eg. trains)  / beware of who can see your laptop etc etc. It's basic common sense. 

They were genuinely astonished - oh we thought you'd have no idea what we were talking about!  Well, I'd have to be pretty thick if that was the case. 

At least I went to my business meeting with my Laptop fully charged and have proved that the ROH really has opened up. 

• Like 5