RBS Mid Associate Training.

Eliteballet

1 hour ago, Streetdancer said:

DD just got a no from Manchester - it was what she expected and it's been helped by getting a reserve list place for Northern Ballet (results same day, my poor heart!) so she's fine about it. First ever auditions... what a learning curve!! 

Congratulations to dd for getting reserve list for Northern Ballet 👍 It is such a stressful time and now it's just another waiting game x

• Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, CMS said:

First reply ever, although been following everyone's stories for ages!! We received a Manchester year 7 yes about 6.15pm.  Never been a JA. 

Well done to your Dd CMS , she will be joining my daughters class , she started in September and had never been a JA either . She will love it , they are a lovely group . Does she know anyone in the group already ? Look forward to seeing you in September x 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Skintdancemum said:

Awh she will be fine . It’s 10- 12.45 on saturdays . Do you have far ro travel ? X 

8 minutes ago, CMS said:

Thank you auditioned just once for year 5. We don't know anyone there so she'll be the quiet one. Does anyone know when the class is?

Welcome to our lovely MA Manchester class. Well done

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SuperCooper said:

SWL for my DD at Manchester. Fingers crossed a place comes up, but she has also gained a 2nd year at Northern Ballet so all is not lost. Does anyone know if anyone has ever gained a place on Mids after being on SWL? X

It's definitely a possibility, so don't give up hope yet. There are generally a few students who turn down MA places because they have accepted full time places at other vocational schools. Good luck!

• Like 3

Welcome to the madness CMS. Hope to hear more from you and I wish your daughter lots of luck. 

Heard this morning about a friend's daughter getting a Senior Associate place, so good luck to anyone waiting to hear about those.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperCooper said:

SWL for my DD at Manchester. Fingers crossed a place comes up, but she has also gained a 2nd year at Northern Ballet so all is not lost. Does anyone know if anyone has ever gained a place on Mids after being on SWL? X

Yes, absolutely, keep you phone to hand, more MA offers are made once the full timers have made their choices.

• Like 2

My DD wasn’t allowed to do MA’s when she was at Hammond. I think it is very short sighted of them. Hope they change their minds (does it still clash with the timetable?)

Edited by angel

14 minutes ago, angel said:

My DD wasn’t allowed to do MA’s when she was at Hammond. I think it is very short sighted of them. Hope they change their minds (does it still clash with the timetable?)

I'm not sure. The Birmingham SAs are later in the day though, around 4pm. Need to think things through realistically though. We're a good 2-3 hours away from Hammond, so will need to drive there to pick DD up, drive her to Birmingham, to then drive back to drop her off, and then the journey home! 😬

4 hours ago, Danceintherain said:

I'm not sure. The Birmingham SAs are later in the day though, around 4pm. Need to think things through realistically though. We're a good 2-3 hours away from Hammond, so will need to drive there to pick DD up, drive her to Birmingham, to then drive back to drop her off, and then the journey home! 😬

Would it be worth it for SA?

I personally wouldn't do it just for the CV - when all is said and done, 16+ places are decided by how you perform on the day.  And is anyone really going to get an audition at the end of the training because they've been an SA?  As others have said, the petrol money is probably better invested in other activities.

I would also caution against overloading in the first year of starting at vocational school - I don't think either of my children would have thanked me for 6 hours in the car and also loosing the social time during their first year at their respective schools.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

I personally wouldn't do it just for the CV - when all is said and done, 16+ places are decided by how you perform on the day.  And is anyone really going to get an audition at the end of the training because they've been an SA?  As others have said, the petrol money is probably better invested in other activities.

I would also caution against overloading in the first year of starting at vocational school - I don't think either of my children would have thanked me for 6 hours in the car and also loosing the social time during their first year at their respective schools.

I agree.  When I mentioned CV, I meant adding she was successful in gaining a place, but stating she was unable to take it due to moving to full time vocational school. :)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Vonrothbart said:

Would it be worth it for SA?

It's one we've been debating in our house!  We're not even sure Hammond would allow it.  After a morning of classes, to then travel to Birmingham and back.  As much as I'd LOVE to see her every weekend, I feel she needs the time to settle into life away from home, and that includes forming friendships and enjoying the down time on a Saturday afternoon.  She'll be starting GCSE work too, so there's making sure she has the time for that, and we need to realistically understand how much driving that would mean for us - even putting the petrol cost aside, we'd be constantly exhausted.  I haven't ruled it out just yet, but I think ultimately we will end up having to turn the place down and allow somebody else to have it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Danceintherain said:

It's one we've been debating in our house!  We're not even sure Hammond would allow it.  After a morning of classes, to then travel to Birmingham and back.  As much as I'd LOVE to see her every weekend, I feel she needs the time to settle into life away from home, and that includes forming friendships and enjoying the down time on a Saturday afternoon.  She'll be starting GCSE work too, so there's making sure she has the time for that, and we need to realistically understand how much driving that would mean for us - even putting the petrol cost aside, we'd be constantly exhausted.  I haven't ruled it out just yet, but I think ultimately we will end up having to turn the place down and allow somebody else to have it.

It's a shame to have the opportunity and not to be able to take it up, but honestly, it sounds like an endurance feat that would drive you all into the ground! The GCSE workload alone would put me off committing to something so onerous. My DD did the old style GCSE syllabi but my non dancing son is now in year 10 doing the new ones and there seems to be a huge difference. He has a great deal more work than his sister had at the same stage - between that and the move to vocational school I think your DD will probably have enough on her plate to be frank. Bask in the happy glow of success for a while, but let your head make this decision!

• Like 5