Royal Ballet potential Spring 2019 casting

Presumably this will be announced fairly soon - I am thinking within  a few weeks?

With 24 performances (17 last time in 2015, 14 in 2013) there are all sorts of casting opportunities for Romeo and Juliet.

Cast as Juliet last time and still with the RB were/are Cuthbertson, Hayward , Lamb, Naghdi and Nunez (plus Osipova, injured in 2015, also Hamilton, who  was cast in 2013 and was on leave in 2015); cast as Romeo last time and still with the RB were/are McRae, Muntagirov, Bonelli, Ball, Kish and Soares.

Naghdi/Ball is hopefully a given (including live cinema) but for example who will, and who should, partner Hayward this time (instead of Golding)?  -  Campbell? Sambe? Bracewell?   Muntagirov? 

Surely a debut for Takada?   I would also hope maybe  for Heap? 

For Frankenstein, I see there was only Morera and Lamb as Elizabeth last time, and Bonelli and Dyer as Victor - with the creature shared betwenn McRae, Kish and Hirano. So again, some more scope for debuts? 

Re Frankenstein, the interesting thing will be if Nunez and Muntagirov dance the lead roles or not. They were originally cast, but shortly before the premiere it was announced that they wouldn't dance due to lack of rehearsal time. Third cast creature, Hirano, I think, (or was it Kish?) danced anyway. 

21 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Presumably this will be announced fairly soon - I am thinking within  a few weeks?

With 24 performances (17 last time in 2015, 14 in 2013) there are all sorts of casting opportunities for Romeo and Juliet.

Cast as Juliet last time and still with the RB were/are Cuthbertson, Hayward , Lamb, Naghdi and Nunez (plus Osipova, injured in 2015, also Hamilton, who  was cast in 2013 and was on leave in 2015); cast as Romeo last time and still with the RB were/are McRae, Muntagirov, Bonelli, Ball, Kish and Soares.

Naghdi/Ball is hopefully a given (including live cinema) but for example who will, and who should, partner Hayward this time (instead of Golding)?  -  Campbell? Sambe? Bracewell?   Muntagirov? 

Surely a debut for Takada?   I would also hope maybe  for Heap? 

For Frankenstein, I see there was only Morera and Lamb as Elizabeth last time, and Bonelli and Dyer as Victor - with the creature shared betwenn McRae, Kish and Hirano. So again, some more scope for debuts? 

It’s a lot of performances but even if it goes to eight casts that only gives three performances each and there are already seven Juliets and six Romeos listed above. I would hope to see Hallberg guest with Osipova: the memory of that curtailed Giselle still haunts my mind. I would expect a debut for Takada and debuts for Bracewell and Clarke and, hopefully, Campbell, not forgetting Corrales, so the maths is already failing to work.  Am I correct in thinking I have read elsewhere that Watson has decided not to dance Romeo again?

Much as I admire Tierney Heap, I can’t see Management giving her Juliet as she is being groomed, it seems to me, essentially in the succession of Mason and Yanowsky as the “strong, tall dancer.”

What will be interesting is if KO’H and Lady M make the decision to cast not by seniority: under that premise, I’d consider it likely that Kish (who I stress I like very much), and possibly Bonelli and Soares, will not be cast.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

What will be interesting is if KO’H and Lady M make the decision to cast not by seniority: under that premise, I’d consider it likely that Kish (who I stress I like very much), and possibly Bonelli and Soares, will not be cast.

I would be very surprised if Bonelli wasn't cast, but think you may well be right about the other two.

• Like 2

Osipova did mention in her interview in The Times last week that she is hoping that Hallberg will be back at the ROH 'next year'.  I am sure hoping that that will be in R&J!!

I will be very surprised if Bonelli isn't cast, probably with Cuthbertson.  He was wonderful in the recent run of SL, and he and Lauren have always been a beautiful couple in this ballet.  Although Cuthbertson/Muntagirov also floats my boat.

I would be very happy to see Hayward cast with either Campbell or Bracewell, and debuts from Takada and Ella (having seen how lovely they were together in Giselle).

I can't see Heap as Juliet, but I am sure she would have a whale of a time as the lead Harlot.

So many interesting possibilities......our cup runneth over!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Much as I admire Tierney Heap, I can’t see Management giving her Juliet as she is being groomed, it seems to me, essentially in the succession of Mason and Yanowsky as the “strong, tall dancer.”

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I can't see Heap as Juliet,

I am not sure  I can see her as Juliet either, now I come to think of it!  But then I am not reallly convinced by the suitability, and frankly now the age, of some of the others in the  available  "pool" , to be playing a teenage girl of whose beauty it is said "The all-seeing sun ...Ne'er saw her match since first the world begun".

If I had to pick 8 Juliets, and limiting this to  principals and first soloists, I think I would try Choe,  Hamilton, Hayward, Kaneko, Naghdi, Stix-Brunell, and Takada. But there is no chance of this line-up in reality!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I am not sure  I can see her as Juliet either, now I come to think of it!  But then I am not reallly convinced by the suitability, and frankly now the age, of some of the others in the  available  "pool" , to be playing a teenage girl of whose beauty it is said "The all-seeing sun ...Ne'er saw her match since first the world begun".

If I had to pick 8 Juliets, and limiting this to  principals and first soloists, I think I would try Choe,  Hamilton, Hayward, Kaneko, Naghdi, Stix-Brunell, and Takada. But there is no chance of this line-up in reality!

A very wise friend once said to me that you have to be "old" to dance "young".

Marion Tait (of BRB) danced Juliet in her final season as a principal when she must have been in her mid-40s.  She did not look particularly young but, to this day, she is still the most convincing 14-year old I have ever seen dancing the role.  I was on the front row too.

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Marion Tait (of BRB) danced Juliet in her final season as a principal when she must have been in her mid-40s.  She did not look particularly young but, to this day, she is still the most convincing 14-year old I have ever seen dancing the role.  I was on the front row too.

I recall seeing Haydee and Cragan in Cranko's R&J in 1984 during one of their final complete outings together in those roles.  They were far from being teenagers.   (She had after all originated Juliet in that production in 1962 when she was 25.)  Still their youthful ardour somehow remains unsurpassed in the etchings of my memory even now.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

I saw Asylmuratova dance Juliet in London  towards the end of her career - unforgettable. 

Age is not necessarily a bar on an artist performing this role in my view

ulanova wasn't a teenager when the bolshoi performed the Lavrovsky R and J for the first time in London either I believe 

Edited by Shade
Addition
  • Like 6

I am really interested to see the casting for R&J this spring (though I have to confess, I would also really love it when we would learn more about castings in the fall and winter season, haha). Agree with all of you that you don´t need necessarily to be young to dance the role young. However I would love to see a few debuts from the younger ones this time, Takada definitely, but also maybe Kaneko, Magri. Or even O´ Sullivan. For the men, well Bracewell, Sambe, Clarke. Maybe Richardson.

Personally I found Cuthbertson and Lamb dancing too mature the last time (which doesn´t mean that their dancing wasn´t fantastic, personally I just missed the youthful joy and innocence).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Am I correct in thinking I have read elsewhere that Watson has decided not to dance Romeo again?

I've seen two comments from him about that.  In chronological order, as far as I can remember:

- he didn't fancy starting off again with a new Juliet

- not this time (i.e. the last run), but next time.

So, take your pick!

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

For me, Leanne Benjamin even more so - and I can't remember how old she was last time she danced it!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, alison said:

For me, Leanne Benjamin even more so - and I can't remember how old she was last time she danced it!

And how wonderful she was when being seen for the first time in London with the LFB (now ENB) under Schaufuss' direction in the reconstruction of Ashton's enchanting take on R&J.   Stunning.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

With 24 performances of Romeo & Juliet Principals Cuthbertson, Nunez, Osipova, Lamb, Naghdi and Hayward should ideally be given 3 performances, as well as Takada and First Soloist Kaneko .

Naghdi (when still a Soloist) danced her Juliet debut having to content herself with only one public performance (and what an unforgettable performance that was) but in order for an artist of that level to further develop this role they should at least be given 3 performances, which doesn't leave much room for any other First Soloist to debut.

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo
  • Like 2

On 16/09/2018 at 12:12, Vanartus said:

Having seen Hallberg and Osipova yesterday, I'm hoping for that combo in R&J!

I would rather see her with someone younger in look and movement, I'm afraid.

A great big YESSSSS to Takada, Hayward, Naghdi, and Kaneko as Juliet, possibly O'Sullivan also. My Romeos would be Bonelli, Muntagirov, Clarke, Ball, Bracewell, Corrales and possibly Richardson.

• Like 4

Obviously I would be glad to see Hallberg and Osipova together in something like Romeo and Juliet, but I cannot help but think Corrales and Osipova would make a great match as well. Both exuberant and youthful looking (If that's the most apt word?) Osipova is a mature artist, but I've always felt she has that uncanny ability to transform into a teenage girl when necessary. So, they (in my opinion) could be something special. Though, weirdly enough, I'm not so convinced about their partnership in La Bayadere. Only time will tell! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Morera as Juliet please

I’d say, “Not going to happen,” except that I’d written the same re Vetsera, and she did get cast and blew us all completely away in one of the most astoinoishing performances it’s ever been my privilege to witness, and with Bonelli absolutely out of this world too ....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

With 24 performances of Romeo & Juliet Principals Cuthbertson, Nunez, Osipova, Lamb, Naghdi and Hayward should ideally be given 3 performances, as well as Takada and First Soloist Kaneko .

Naghdi (when still a Soloist) danced her Juliet debut having to content herself with only one public performance (and what an unforgettable performance that was) but in order for an artist of that level to further develop this role they should at least be given 3 performances, which doesn't leave much room for any other First Soloist to debut.

Would you therefore take Hamilton out?

Edited by Jamesrhblack

I especially want to see Nagdhi & Ball who I think will be really special. After they're debut a couple of years back it would be silly not to give them the opportunity to let they're interpretations develop and grow.

Osipova partnered with Corrales would be exciting.

But I would also love to see Mayara Magri be given the opportunity and James Hay.....

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I am struck by how little support there is for Hamilton. Why is no one interested in seeing her Juluet?

Did anybody see Hamilton during her principal sojourn in Dresden? My understanding is that she took the position to get the opportunities that were not coming her way in the classics at the Royal Ballet and I note that on her return she has this season been taken out of The Nutcracker, the only “classic” in which she had been cast at principal level here. Her dedication in achieving a professional career against what seem to have been difficult odds is hugely admirable, although I have to be honest and write that she is not a dancer who has really engaged me on the occasions that I have seen her.

40 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I am struck by how little support there is for Hamilton. Why is no one interested in seeing her Juluet?

She danced it with Watson in 2012 and was very good. But there are now other dancers I would prefer to see.

47 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I note that on her return she has this season been taken out of The Nutcracker, the only “classic” in which she had been cast at principal level here.

She may not have been cast in many of the "tutu ballets", but this discussion is currently about R&J, and unless my memory is failing, she has danced the lead roles in all of the "big three" Macmillan ballets for the RB in the past.