Press Release: Royal Opera House open as part of Open House London weekend with new film by Kim Brandstrup

2 Press Releases for the price of 1!

Faces: Three dance portraits - Carlos Acosta, Alina Cojocaru, Zenaida Yanowsky 

Choreographer and film-maker Kim Brandstrup’s latest film project to be shown in the newly refurbished Linbury Theatre as part of Open House London, September 22 – 23

Danish choreographer and film-maker Kim Brandstrup’s latest film project, Faces, is an intimate portrait of three extraordinary dancers -Carlos Acosta, Alina Cojacaru and Zenaida Yanowsky - caught in the magical moment of time as each listens to music and prepares to move.

The triptych of short filmed portraits, with music by François Couperin, will have its first public screenings during Open House London, when the Royal Opera House opens its doors to the public to reveal the newly refurbished Linbury Theatre (September 22 & 23, 2018). The installation will run continuously from 10am to 6pm on each day

London-based, internationally renowned, Kim Brandstrup has been closely associated with The Royal Ballet over the past decade, creating six ballets for the company and its leading soloists on both the main stage and at the Linbury Theatre.  A training in Film Studies prior to becoming a choreographer has given his ballets a particularly cinematic dimension and he sees film-making as a logical extension of his work. His first film project for the Royal Ballet was Leda and the Swan, commissioned for Deloitte Ignite in 2014 and featuring dancers Zenaida Yanowsky and Tommy Franzen, with the voice of actress Fiona Shaw.

The inspiration for Faces originates in the daily experiences of the rehearsal room, as choreographer and director Kim Brandstrup explains: 

Faces is inspired by my enduring pleasure in watching dancers ‘marking’: going through a choreography in their head while listening to the music. In the studio, from my  privileged vantage point only a few feet away from the dancers, I witness in their faces a range of subtle nuances, mysterious emotions, slight changes of mood pass like clouds across their faces as they gently indicate the movement. I have often longed to catch these moments on film.”

Faces aims to convey these beautiful, subtle and elusive moments and share with the viewer how much the dancers invest of themselves into their performance.      

Faces is directed by Kim Brandstrup with cinematography by Stephen Standen and music by François Couperin (L'âme en peine from Pièces de clavecin, Book 3), performed on disc by Angela Hewitt, courtesy of Hyperion Records Ltd, London.  

Faces is produced by Lucie Conrad.  Projection design and installation at the Linbury Theatre is by 59 Productions, best known as the video-designers for the 2012 London Olympics opening ceremony.

− ENDS −

The Royal Opera House will be open as part of Open House London

Saturday 22 - Sunday 23 September. 10am – 6pm, free entry.

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FIFTEEN YEARS THE ROYAL OPERA HOUSE WILL OPEN ITS DOORS FOR OPEN HOUSE LONDON WEEKEND

Saturday 22 – Sunday 23 September, 10am – 6pm. Free entry

For the first time in fifteen years the Royal Opera House will take part in Open House London on Saturday 22nd – Sunday 23 September, 10am – 6pm.  Offering the perfect opportunity to come and see the Opera House’s newly refurbished public spaces and experience the new Linbury Theatre, the West Ends newest most intimate theatre.

Having undergone a major £50.7m three year refurbishment by architects Stanton Williams, the Royal Opera House has transformed its public spaces with inviting new entrances, extended foyers and terraces, a new café, bar and restaurant. The refurbishment is part of the Open Up project unveiling the Royal Opera House as a destination venue open  to non ticket holders throughout the day and night.  At the heart of this project is a brand new Linbury Theatre, providing an additional world-class stage for The Royal Ballet, The Royal Opera and a host of internationally celebrated artists and partners. 

During Open House weekend visitors can take in the new spaces, café, restaurant and shop which stocks a selection of bespoke merchandise inspired by the art forms of ballet and opera. Animating the new Linbury Theatre over this weekend will be a world premiere of Faces, a short film by choreographer and filmmaker Kim Brandstrup. Staring Carlos Acosta, Alina Cojocaru and Zenaida Yanowsky, the film is set to music by Francois Couperin.

A pop up exhibition by Stanton Williams charts the three year refurbishment project from initial design to completion.  Also on display will be pieces from the Royal Opera House archive including Margot Fonteyn’s iconic Black Swan tutu from the 1950s production of Swan Lake and Maria Callas’ costume from Franco Zeffirelli’s 1964 production ofTosca.

In addition to the new spaces the main auditorium designed in 1856 by EM Barry will also be open for visitors to experience.

Notes to Editors

The Royal Opera House will be open as part of Open House London

Saturday 22 - Sunday 23 September. 10am – 6pm, free entry.

About Open House London

Open House is the world’s leading annual architecture festival, giving free public access to over 800 buildings, walks, talks and tours over one weekend in September. www.Openhouselondon.org

About Open Up

The Royal Opera House believes that opera and ballet should be experienced by everyone, and the Open Up project will make the Royal Opera House a daytime destination open to everyone, every day from 10am. The new bars, cafés, restaurants, free events and unique front of house displays will transform these dedicated new spaces, welcoming everyone to their revitalised home.  

The brand new Linbury Theatre will become the West End’s newest, most intimate theatre, showcasing the best of the Royal Opera House’s art forms and providing a wealth of innovative world premieres, co-productions and collaborations.

www.roh.org.uk

I'm looking forward very much to seeing 'Open Up' when next visiting the Royal Opera House.  The project has met its Autumn 2018 timetable and did not draw on public funds.  "All of the funding for Open Up has been secured from a small number of private philanthropists and charitable foundations who have long-term involvement with the Royal Opera House and share its vision for this important project."  Good to see a big project delivered on time (and to budget?) and, whilst I know some audience members have experienced some disruption, for my part I've not been inconvenienced at all, just intrigued by what was happening behind the boarding.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnS said:

I'm looking forward very much to seeing 'Open Up' when next visiting the Royal Opera House.  The project has met its Autumn 2018 timetable and did not draw on public funds.  "All of the funding for Open Up has been secured from a small number of private philanthropists and charitable foundations who have long-term involvement with the Royal Opera House and share its vision for this important project."  Good to see a big project delivered on time (and to budget?) and, whilst I know some audience members have experienced some disruption, for my part I've not been inconvenienced at all, just intrigued by what was happening behind the boarding.

Inconvenienced?  No, not really, but I've hated seeing the place, particularly the Floral Hall, look so ugly for so long.  I also wonder about the viability of the bars and restaurants (which are always full) being open to the public at performance times.  The bar prices are also now absurd.  I don't mind paying a hefty whack given the beauty of the surroundings, but £15 for a glass of champagne is ridiculous.  You wouldn't pay more than that in a top rank hotel with waiter service to your table.

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

I don't mind paying a hefty whack given the beauty of the surroundings, but £15 for a glass of champagne is ridiculous.  You wouldn't pay more than that in a top rank hotel with waiter service to your table.

What?!  I don't drink, so may be imagining it, but weren't people complaining a few years ago about having to pay £7-8 for a glass of champagne, possibly when the champagne bar first opened?

2 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Inconvenienced?  No, not really, but I've hated seeing the place, particularly the Floral Hall, look so ugly for so long.  I also wonder about the viability of the bars and restaurants (which are always full) being open to the public at performance times.  The bar prices are also now absurd.  I don't mind paying a hefty whack given the beauty of the surroundings, but £15 for a glass of champagne is ridiculous.  You wouldn't pay more than that in a top rank hotel with waiter service to your table.

I don’t think the bars and restaurants in the main house will be open to non-ticket-holders when there’s a show on.

Also, I think you’re a little out of touch with hotel prices.  At the Rosewood Hotel a glass of Ruinart (which is the same champagne served at ROH) will set you back £21 (before adding a tip).