Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo: London & on tour, Autumn 2018

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo: London & on tour, Autumn 2018

The Trocks were sheer delight last night. The Millenium Centre is quite large but there was a decent sized audience. When I booked tickets they had only opened the stalls but obviously there was quite a bit of interest as the circle was also almost full.

For Les Sylphides we had Joshua Thake, Alberto Pretto, Carlos Hopuy and a very vacant Haojun Xie.

After the interval we were treated to the Harliquinade pdd superbly danced by Long Zou and Takaomi Yoshino.

The Trovatiara was the same cast we saw in London headed by Joshua Thake. 

Robert Carter once again executed his Dying Swan with panache. The audience had been pretty quiet up to this point but he really brought them to life.

Headed up by the amazing Carlos Hopuy (partnered by Giovanni Ravelo), Paquita was simply wonderful. There were a couple of slips from the soloists (on the same patch of the stage) but, being Trocks, they made a thing out of it and carried on. 

If anything the standard of dancing was even better than when we saw them in London. Needless to say we loved every minute of it. Judging by the cheers, and quite a few of the audience in the stalls standing in their applause, so did everyone else.

2021 seems a very long time to have to wait to see them again.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, alison said:

Three years?  Is that definite? :( 

I was asking myself that same question after watching the news this evening.  Still, the Trocks address things with much more definitive authority and finesse that several other current institutions we read of.  I for one will happily choose to live within the concerted bounds of their hope.  Delighted to do so in fact.  Bring on 2021 I say.  :)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I was asking myself that same question after watching the news this evening. 

Our seven year old boy was asking it too. Though he may have enjoyed the broader elements of the humour more than the subtler bits. 

9 hours ago, alison said:

Three years?  Is that definite? :( 

There was a question and answer session afterwards with Tory Drobin. He was saying how he regarded the British audiences (and critics) as very special as we all really appreciate his company. His parting shot was that he would (hopefully) see us all again in three years' time.

• Like 1