ENBS 2019 Summer School

Peanut68

On 12/03/2019 at 12:45, TwoLeftFeet said:

Would anyone's 14/15/16 year old DD going for the first two weeks of the summer school like to chat/make friends with my DD.  She is 15 and doesn't know anyone going - it might make things a bit easier if she knew someone also going on the first two weeks.  Shes quiet and shy, loves books and animals!  PM if interested :)

Our DD is going for the last two weeks, she would also like to make contact with other girls her age (14-15) as well as finding out if anyone will be staying nearby.  

Please message if interested!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone booked onto the 4 week summer school. My dd is 14 and very excited (have permission to have the last week off school so she can attend). Sadly she will miss Day one as she’s coming back from a French trip.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 23:23, Jen51 said:

Has anyone had an update to their place since May? 

Haven't heard of a waitlist update but we did hear from someone who decided against the full four weeks and at the time of payment gave up two weeks so the other two weeks may have been allocated to someone on the wait list.  They didn't say why but hinted that a change in the format and rumours of potentially large class sizes were mentioned by other in the conversation.  We do know someone who is still on the waitlist and has asked for an update as they were told there would be a further update in June but without an administrator this may not be forthcoming.

34 minutes ago, junedancer said:

Haven't heard of a waitlist update but we did hear from someone who decided against the full four weeks and at the time of payment gave up two weeks so the other two weeks may have been allocated to someone on the wait list.  They didn't say why but hinted that a change in the format and rumours of potentially large class sizes were mentioned by other in the conversation.  We do know someone who is still on the waitlist and has asked for an update as they were told there would be a further update in June but without an administrator this may not be forthcoming.

we have declined last year for the same reasons. And the year before my DD walked out 2 days into the programme....

Edited by FlexyNexy

1 hour ago, TwoLeftFeet said:

Oh my, was it because of the large class size?

DD1 attended for one week last year and the ballet class was split into two groups and when we watched was around 15 dancers. Character and Contemporary etc were bigger but not overly so in my opinion and there was certainly individual attention and corrections. She loved the week!

12 minutes ago, MAK said:

DD1 attended for one week last year and the ballet class was split into two groups and when we watched was around 15 dancers. Character and Contemporary etc were bigger but not overly so in my opinion and there was certainly individual attention and corrections. She loved the week!

Oh thats great, thank you for the input, I feel a little more relieved now!

1 hour ago, TwoLeftFeet said:

Oh my, was it because of the large class size?

2017 there have been 3 groups. The classes are on larger side but that would not be so much problem for me as long as she is getting enough corrections etc. (like you would expect). Our issue was the quality of classes for 2 consequitive years now. My DD was placed in wrong ability/ age group and after few days she was coming home that she is not doing or learning anything and the class is very basic. I query that, whether they can put her to older group acording to her last exams she done, but I've been told that "maybe" they could move her for the second week as the groups are already set. I feel because she is very petite and August born, they grouped her into lower class not on level she is but her age. She was not allowed to do the pointe class because the teacher said so (despite being already advance level and very comfortable en pointe number of years). Still don't understand what was the reason behind it. So advanced Level 1 child was dancing with small children (just because she fitted into the group with the "look") it even looked odd on the recording i made during parents watching day.

That year i believe some parents even wrote to the school complaining that the program was not challenging enough. 

We decided to give it go again last year and she said it was not challenging enough and after 2 days she walked out and refused to come back. I got tired of paying for her having "fun day out". She said intensives should be intensive and she didn't feel like that about ENB SS.

She did however enjoyed the contemporary class in 2017. 

Edited by FlexyNexy
typo

9 minutes ago, FlexyNexy said:

2017 there have been 3 groups. The classes are on larger side but that would not be so much problem for me as long as she is getting enough corrections etc. (like you would expect). Our issue was the quality of classes for 2 consequitive years now. My DD was placed in wrong ability/ age group and after few days she was coming home that she is not doing or learning anything and the class is very basic. I query that, whether they can put her to older group acording to her last exams she done, but I've been told that "maybe" they could move her for the second week as the groups are already set. I feel because she is very petite and August born, they grouped her into lower class not on level she is but her age. She was not allowed to do the pointe class because the teacher said so (despite being already advance level and very comfortable en pointe number of years). Still don't understand what was the reason behind it. So advanced Level 1 child was dancing with small children (just because she fitted into the group with the "look") it even looked odd on the recording i made during parents watching day.

That year i believe some parents even wrote to the school complaining that the program was not challenging enough. 

We decided to give it go again last year and she said it was not challenging enough and after 2 days she walked out and refused to come back. I got tired of paying for her having "fun day out". She said intensives should be intensive and she didn't feel like that about ENB SS.

thanks for your feedback FlexyNexy, its very useful to a newbie :)  I hope things have improved since then... time will tell

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FlexyNexy said:

Possibly consider the Spring Intensive. Everyone has to be at least 14 and Intermediate as a minimum. 3 groups-14,15 and 16. All got to do pointe. Dd1 really enjoyed and it was a very high standard. Quite a few international students. She is Advanced 1 too.

She also really enjoyed the other styles particularly Flamenco.

DD1 was 13 when she attended, very petite at the time and July born. She did quite a lot of pointe work during the week although was only working at RAD Intermediate at the time. There were some very talented dancers from many countries in the classes. We couldn't manage the longer course this year but may well apply for future intensives.

13 hours ago, Mummy twinkle toes said:

Possibly consider the Spring Intensive. Everyone has to be at least 14 and Intermediate as a minimum. 3 groups-14,15 and 16. All got to do pointe. Dd1 really enjoyed and it was a very high standard. Quite a few international students. She is Advanced 1 too.

She also really enjoyed the other styles particularly Flamenco.

She is not in UK during Easter otherwise would consider and try ❤️  

11 hours ago, MAK said:

DD1 was 13 when she attended, very petite at the time and July born. She did quite a lot of pointe work during the week although was only working at RAD Intermediate at the time. There were some very talented dancers from many countries in the classes. We couldn't manage the longer course this year but may well apply for future intensives.

my DD was 14 at the first intensive but Vaganova trained and asked to take her pointe shoes off while others danced without issues. Still puzzling for me.

2 hours ago, FlexyNexy said:

my DD was 14 at the first intensive but Vaganova trained and asked to take her pointe shoes off while others danced without issues. Still puzzling for me.

Not saying it is the case but perhaps they thought she was younger. My Dd1 is petite and often her age is mistaken. She is also Russian trained but does RAD too as a few schools did not understand what level she was. Some schools do not appreciate that Advanced Russian is Advanced 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mummy twinkle toes said:

Not saying it is the case but perhaps they thought she was younger. My Dd1 is petite and often her age is mistaken. She is also Russian trained but does RAD too as a few schools did not understand what level she was. Some schools do not appreciate that Advanced Russian is Advanced 

3 hours ago, FlexyNexy said:

Ladies, may I ask what full-time schools your girls are looking at for 16+ training?  My dd is also vaganova trained and would really prefer to keep this up.

10 minutes ago, TwoLeftFeet said:

Ladies, may I ask what full-time schools your girls are looking at for 16+ training?  My dd is also vaganova trained and would really prefer to keep this up.

My Dd is already in vocational traning but overseas. Starting 2nd year after summer. She had a list of schools she was looking at that was reduced substantialy when it came to auditions. Are you looking only UK?

18 minutes ago, FlexyNexy said:

My Dd is already in vocational traning but overseas. Starting 2nd year after summer. She had a list of schools she was looking at that was reduced substantialy when it came to auditions. Are you looking only UK?

Will pm you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlexyNexy said:

I would be very puzzled too. Really strange!

2 hours ago, TwoLeftFeet said:

A friend of Dd1 has been accepted at London Russian. Kings international is Russian based but also offers RAD. 

For us we still like Central

• Like 1

On 12/03/2019 at 11:45, TwoLeftFeet said:

Would anyone's 14/15/16 year old DD going for the first two weeks of the summer school like to chat/make friends with my DD.  She is 15 and doesn't know anyone going - it might make things a bit easier if she knew someone also going on the first two weeks.  Shes quiet and shy, loves books and animals!  PM if interested :)

Hello, I am new on this forum, but my DS is also going for the first two weeks of ENBS and he is 15. Generally he makes friends with the boys more easily and the girls tend to stick together, but he has a lot of female friends too. if you would like to get in touch do send me a private message and I’ll ask him. He doesn’t know anyone else going either, and he’s always super nervous as a result. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Aklf said:

Not sure what the age groupings are but my dd is 14 and in blue group. Would be good to know the upper and lower age range for each group. 

I'm afraid I don't have any answers, but my daughter is 15 and in the green group.

Going by Spring course I think some of same age were in different groups but my guess was that a Sept birthday night oush someone to be with ones a year older more likely than say a July baby if that makes sense? There seemed to be lots all of one she so think some went with younger of the older... it seems logical 

am sure there could well be times when level of attainment May suggest how they group also 

hope all are having a fantastic time! Sadly we declined a Summer place as worked out it was just going to bankrupt us with hotel costs etc! Maybe next year....

In case anyone is wondering I just got confirmation from ENBS that it will not be possible to audition for summer school at this years' summer school