ENBS 2019 Summer School

Peanut68

Looking at this & rather confused....maybe I have missed something

Am I right that for selection process you can choose to either send in an audition video or attend alive audition? For latter it states that you must write preferred date/venue on application form & refers you to audition page on website for dates. These dates seem surely to relate just to entry for Full Time Training? Or are these for Summer School also? 

From people's past experience, by roughly what time do people hear if they have been selected for SS? I imagine it to be a case of the sooner accommodation is booked, the cheaper it is.....

And are there are scholarships/funding routes at all? Ever hopeful :D

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I can't answer the question on the audition date - as you say, this is a new process - but we heard about 4 weeks after the close of applications, so on this basis I would expect to hear by the end of March.

I have always found them really helpful and it may be that there is a glitch on the website regarding dates etc. so maybe email them, I expect they want to make it as straightforward as possible to apply 😊

It does say …….

'Applicants auditioning by video will receive a reply from us via email within three weeks of receiving the application.  Applicants attending a live audition will receive a reply from us up to three weeks after the audition.'

Which implies that everyone will hear at different times. 

Presumably the earlier you apply, the earlier you get a response, and possibly also the better your chances??? 

Although, as you say Peanut, auditions are confusing. There are only 2 London dates - surely they can't see all SS applicants and US prelims on just 2 days. 

Yes, I spoke to the PA this year-- she said live audition or video audition (both are acceptable, no priority given if you go to a live over video). 

I got some great accommodation 3 mins away on air bnb - booked in March when we had the offer of a place. 

On 07/09/2018 at 22:10, Dance*is*life said:

Won't they be in their new premises next year on London City Island?  I wonder what accommodation will be available in that area?

We were there last summer and they weren’t able to give a move date but certainly made it clear that accommodation would remain ‘north of the river’ requiring a 45min commute for full time pupils. For the SS we rented a flat through Trip Advisor as hotels wouldn’t let under 16’s stay without an adult and for two weeks it worked out more economical to rent especially for meals incl packed lunches and laundry to be ‘self catering’. Our choice was within walking distance of the school but many travelled in daily. Staying in less expensive boroughs. 

On 07/09/2018 at 00:19, Peanut68 said:

Looking at this & rather confused....maybe I have missed something

Am I right that for selection process you can choose to either send in an audition video or attend alive audition? For latter it states that you must write preferred date/venue on application form & refers you to audition page on website for dates. These dates seem surely to relate just to entry for Full Time Training? Or are these for Summer School also? 

From people's past experience, by roughly what time do people hear if they have been selected for SS? I imagine it to be a case of the sooner accommodation is booked, the cheaper it is.....

And are there are scholarships/funding routes at all? Ever hopeful :D

• 3 months later...

Hello. My daughter (12 yo) has a place at ENBS for the summer. She is very excited but wants to wait to hear back from the other programs. I personally love the idea of being in London for the summer with her as I can take a month off from work in 2019 (sabbatical) so am secretly hoping she comes to the conclusion herself 🙂 I have read through the threads but am wondering if anyone has additional experiences from recent years that they can share especially around my daughter’s age. Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

DD1 spent a week at ENBS last summer (as per the thread, this is not an option now) and was in a group of 13 year olds (on average). There were dancers attending from all the world and the standard was high. With it being non-residential I think those dancers that had travelled and were staying in London tended to mix together after hours but we just used to come home. We got the impression that dancers were being evaluated for their potential to join the school (or attend future courses) although that was not formally confirmed in any way.

We had the opportunity to watch on the last day: ballet, pointe and character. I'm a non dancer but the teaching appeared to be excellent (and in some cases quite strict) and DD1 really enjoyed her course and would definitely return another year. My husband and I remarked that if circumstances allowed her to do the four week course, she'd probably improve as much in that time as she would in an average year!

Edited by MAK
  • Like 1

My Dd is the same age and did ENBS last year.

The classical tuition is extremely good  with lots of corrections given. My only criticism would be the class sizes which were very large indeed. I counted 44 girls in the class at the end of the week which we were invited to watch. This was the result of joining 2 groups together which didn’t happen every day,  but did on several occasions. On that particular day there was hardly enough room for them all at the barre despite the lovely spacious studio. 

Think they are having a huge reorganisation this year so hopefully smaller sets. My Dd would still choose to go anyway as the teaching was top notch.

13 hours ago, Knh said:

Hello. My daughter (12 yo) has a place at ENBS for the summer. She is very excited but wants to wait to hear back from the other programs. I personally love the idea of being in London for the summer with her as I can take a month off from work in 2019 (sabbatical) so am secretly hoping she comes to the conclusion herself 🙂 I have read through the threads but am wondering if anyone has additional experiences from recent years that they can share especially around my daughter’s age. Thank you in advance!

Hi. My DD was at ENBS two summers ago. The girls are so busy/tired we didn’t actually do much in the evenings but I managed to book guided backstage tours for the Royal Opera, Royal Albert Hall, Theatre Royal and then we both finished off with a tour around Buckingham  Palace on our last day. Loved the ‘me’ time. Well worth the experience of them all. 

DD’s personal experience is. 

Plenty of packed lunch 

Spare shoes. We thought we were prepared but the work is so intensive she wore out one pair of canvas flats and Pointe Shoes. 

Unless you have access to laundry facilities ensure your DD has two leotards a day. 

Don’t try and plan anything in the evening. Generally too tired and just wanted to chill out. We stayed at a self catering flat which wasn’t necessarily the cheapest but offered space kitchen and laundry. Especially as she was there for the full two weeks. 

Good of luck and enjoy. 

• Like 2

MAK, valentina, balletbean,

thank you so much for responding. Very glad to hear that your girls enjoyed the program, thought the teaching was excellent and would consider attending again. Thank you also for the class size info and packing tips.

This is such a wonderful forum!

• Like 1

Hello Everyone, first time posting. This forum has been so useful checking opinions, news, audition information  etc. As my daughter would like to do the ENB summer school this coming year, does anyone have any more information about accommodation? On the audition form, there is a box to tick if we need help with accommodation. I would rather have an idea of the accommodation options and cost before I send off her application. I haven't contacted the school yet but wondered if anyone else knows what accommodation is available. My daughter is 15, so too young to stay in a hotel (also too expensive). Does anyone know whether there are host families the school uses, or possibly hostel accommodation where the attendees stay? Previous posts have talked about apartments or airbnb places, but she would be staying in London on her own. Any previous experience or advice is welcome. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Francemum said:

Hello Everyone, first time posting. This forum has been so useful checking opinions, news, audition information  etc. As my daughter would like to do the ENB summer school this coming year, does anyone have any more information about accommodation? On the audition form, there is a box to tick if we need help with accommodation. I would rather have an idea of the accommodation options and cost before I send off her application. I haven't contacted the school yet but wondered if anyone else knows what accommodation is available. My daughter is 15, so too young to stay in a hotel (also too expensive). Does anyone know whether there are host families the school uses, or possibly hostel accommodation where the attendees stay? Previous posts have talked about apartments or airbnb places, but she would be staying in London on her own. Any previous experience or advice is welcome. Thanks.

Having been in the same situation a couple of summers ago for my then 15yr old. I can confirm Hostels won’t take under 16’s. In some cases even under 18’s. ‘Halls’ were also not available, due to some having a licensed bar on the premises. If your DD will be on her own I would suggest a ‘home stay’. ENB has some contacts.  At least there is a ‘guardian’ for your DD during her stay. Good Luck. 

Edited by balletbean

• 1 month later...

Hello. My DD is planning to attend the ENBS summer course and I have a couple of questions.

We would like to start looking for accommodations for the family. Would anyone know if the program will take place at the new London City Island studios for certain? 

Also, the website states that girls on pointe for less than 2 years will practice on demi pointe. Is this a clear cut rule or will they make a case by case decision after seeing the dancers? My DD 13yo will only have been on pointe for 1 year but would really like to practice her pointe this summer. 

I have emailed the office but the auto-response states they they are experiencing a large volume of emails, so I thought I would see if anyone on this forum knew. Thank you!

You will really need to speak to the teaching staff regarding the pointe work. They may be willing to let her do the more basic exercises at the barre but not the centre work. I am sure, once you manage to make contact, they will be willing to assess on the first couple of days. 

I have always found it easier to make contact by phone and ask for Colette Murray.

Whatever answer you get, I would also remind them at registration on the first day of the course so that everyone is quite sure of what is happening.

46 minutes ago, valentina said:

Sorry, just to add - there is some quite advanced pointe work during the course. My daughter is the same age and found it challenged her at times despite having been on pointe for 2 yrs and at vocational school. 

This was my daughter's experience too. She definitely learned a lot and very much enjoyed the week.

I am surprised to hear of places being offered already as I thought the closing date was at the end of February - have we missed something?  I downloaded the application at Christmas but we haven't managed to get the video done.  Photographs for applications are difficult enough but this is a stage beyond.  How do people manage?

That’s why we ticked the audition option as trying to arrange a video when they are away st school pretty much impossible...

Plus it feels like you get something for your £30 applucation fee; a really good 2 hour masterclass & fantastic audition experience as it was alongside those auditioning for main school entry. If you can make timings work that might be an option for you....dates are on website & pretty sure there were ones in Feb....

DD was offered a place a couple of weeks after Dec audition (but not as yet had full details). 

Am finding the whole process of just seeing what’s out there/ when/where & the application process traumatic just for summer schools! And that’s without working out his on earth to pay for any places that get offered! 

Good luck all! 😀

• Like 1

I am sorry if I have stressed anyone out. My DD is home (=not at a residential vocational school (would like to some day!)) and her instructor that helped her with videos took off to another country to put up a performance in mid-November so we “had to” get our video done before then. So we sent our videos in early (very :-)). The downside is that she is only 12yo and had recently started pointe so she has improved quite a bit since then. Some (ENBS, NBS Canada) seem to have rolling results and some (POBS, ABT) seem to review all videos after the deadline.

Wow - you are proactive! Panicking as only recently thought about overseas Summer Schools & video application the only route I’m guessing.. 

Wondering if being an ‘overseas’ applicant is better.... going by how many overseas students attend the top UK SS (afterall, looks really good to have a truly International roll call!) might up DD’s chances if she’s the overseas one.... plus I’d love an excuse to have to travel with her 👍🏻😉

But suspect pie in sky dream as no way I can see producing anything worthy on video without teacher input...ah well....

Thanks for the advice Peanut68.  I should have read the guidelines!  I was focusing on the dreaded photographs and it was when we did them I wondered how we would do the video.  DDs teacher can't get studio space outwith class times now and she is busy at half-term.  No answer from ENB and e-mails say they are busy so will try again next week.

How do they allocate places?  Could we get to the deadline date and there be no places, I wonder?

Hi there, 

My 14 yr old daughter has applied to attend weeks 3 & 4 of the course.  When I spoke to the School last week they were about to find out whether the Summer Course would be in existing/ new premises, and as I understood it they expect to have that information around the end of this month. 

Am planning to look into accommodation after that... DD will be too young to stay by herself, so hoping to have some guidance from School/ via those who have had previous experience!

Applied two weeks ago for DD for the Feb 2/3 London auditions for summer school so I think they are still accepting applications for the audition if you are able to get to London. DD's friend attended the London audition date before Christmas and has been told they have a place already so they are obviously sending out rolling results after each audition.

On 20/01/2019 at 20:13, Tessiets said:

Hi there, 

My 14 yr old daughter has applied to attend weeks 3 & 4 of the course.  When I spoke to the School last week they were about to find out whether the Summer Course would be in existing/ new premises, and as I understood it they expect to have that information around the end of this month. 

Am planning to look into accommodation after that... DD will be too young to stay by herself, so hoping to have some guidance from School/ via those who have had previous experience!

Any news on the venue?  

On 21/01/2019 at 09:47, amos73 said:

Applied two weeks ago for DD for the Feb 2/3 London auditions for summer school so I think they are still accepting applications for the audition if you are able to get to London. DD's friend attended the London audition date before Christmas and has been told they have a place already so they are obviously sending out rolling results after each audition.

Thank you - we were too late so still planning on a video in half term.