The Royal Ballet: Mayerling, Autumn 2018

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've moved most of the cast-change information over to the RB Autumn casting thread here:

in order to keep it more or less in one place - and to keep this thread free for what I hope will be more positive news on the run.

Matthew Ball has just posted a lovely twitter comment about taking on the role of Rudolf along with a picture in rehearsal. Melissa Hamilton has also posted a picture of them both in the stage rehearsal on her instagram account. Interesting that she has opted to portray Mary as a brunette again. I think Sarah Lamb has remained fair when she has played this role, but I may be wrong.

Have just looked at some photos on ROH site and I am wrong about Sarah Lamb, so I guess all Mary’s are brunettes.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Matthew Ball has just posted a lovely twitter comment about taking on the role of Rudolf along with a picture in rehearsal. Melissa Hamilton has also posted a picture of them both in the stage rehearsal on her instagram account.

Please could you post the twitter piece from Matthew Ball on here? I can't seem to get it - maybe because I'm not on twitter. Thanks.

I've been reading this forum for a while now, and have always found it informative, entertaining and so well-mannered.

Given this, and the fact I'm getting all excited about the start of the season, I thought I'd take the plunge, join, and 'contribute'!

I can't promise to be either informative or entertaining, but I can promise to always strive to be well-mannered.

With my focus firmly fixed on the Mayerling run starting tonight, I thought it worth mentioning that the excellent South Bank Special from the 70's on the creation, performance and historical context of the ballet is available on YouTube (just search for mayerling south bank). The four parts add up to about two hours viewing, and I found it invaluable in 'setting the scene' for my visits over the coming weeks. They certainly don't seem to make documentaries like that any more!

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, Nogoat said:

I've been reading this forum for a while now, and have always found it informative, entertaining and so well-mannered.

Given this, and the fact I'm getting all excited about the start of the season, I thought I'd take the plunge, join, and 'contribute'!

I can't promise to be either informative or entertaining, but I can promise to always strive to be well-mannered.

With my focus firmly fixed on the Mayerling run starting tonight, I thought it worth mentioning that the excellent South Bank Special from the 70's on the creation, performance and historical context of the ballet is available on YouTube (just search for mayerling south bank). The four parts add up to about two hours viewing, and I found it invaluable in 'setting the scene' for my visits over the coming weeks. They certainly don't seem to make documentaries like that any more!

Welcome, Nogoat!  Great name indeed!  There will be lots of forum members there tonight, so we can say hello if you are about on the terrace on the amphi level....there is usually a large crowd there.  

The documentary to which you refer is one my favourite ever ballet documentaries.  How times have changed....can you imagine choreographers and dancers smoking in the studio during the creative process nowadays?!   I interviewed David Wall in 2005 and he talked quite a lot about creating the role of Rudolf.  I have posted it up here quite a few times, so do have a search for it.  If you can't find it, let me know and I will re-post it if you are interested.  

Either way, enjoy tonight!  I am so looking forward to the season starting again.  

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Sim said:

we can say hello if you are about on the terrace on the amphi level....there is usually a large crowd there.  

surely you mean 'Level 5', Sim.....

Sounds like a multi-storey car park doesn't it- I hope it doesn't catch on and everyone goes on referring to the amphi!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Sim said:

Welcome, Nogoat!  Great name indeed!  There will be lots of forum members there tonight, so we can say hello if you are about on the terrace on the amphi level....there is usually a large crowd there.  

Welcome from me too, Nogoat (the name fascinates me, but let's not get into that ;) ).  That is, assuming you members can all make it out onto the amphi terrace, which may well depend on how much space is allotted.

I'm doing something else tonight, so won't be in until the weekend, but enjoy yourselves, everyone!

• Like 3

Partly referring to the thread about new audiences - if the ROH would fund a few more documentaries like the SBS Mayerling (which might encourage the BBC or ITV or Sky to show them, without the huge expense involved these days in making them in house), that would go some way to letting new potential audience members see what is involved in ballet and how it is not all pretty girls in tutus and that men have a really strong role.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Mary said:

surely you mean 'Level 5', Sim.....

Sounds like a multi-storey car park doesn't it- I hope it doesn't catch on and everyone goes on referring to the amphi!

At today’s Mayerling rehearsal, I had a ticket for the Balcony.  A lady, who also had a Balcony ticket, told me that she couldn’t find her seat. I told her I was going there myself and would show her the way. We arrived at the Balcony entrance I’ve always used and I became very disoriented as the word ‘Balcony’ was no longer above the door and I thought, for a moment, that I’d brought her to the wrong place. It took a while for me to realise that the word ‘Balcony’ had been removed and replaced by Level 3!

edited to apologise for the large type face. I can’t find a way, on my iPad, to reduce the size. 

Edited by Bluebird
To reduce font size
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

At today’s Mayerling rehearsal, I had a ticket for the Balcony.  A lady who also had a Balcony ticket told me that she couldn’t find the her seat. I told her I was going there myself and would show her the way. We arrived at the Balcony entrance I’ve always used and I became very disoriented as the word ‘Balcony’ was no longer above the door. It took a while for me to realise that the word ‘Balcony’ had been removed and replaced by Level 3!

Of for goodness sake.  What's that in aid of?

10 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

It took a while for me to realise that the word ‘Balcony’ had been removed and replaced by Level 3!

I do find the new ‘levels’ more reminiscent of a multi-storey car park than a theatre!

I was sitting in the amphi today and two ladies tried to sit in the row I was in, to some confusion as one of the seats was already occupied, until I peeked at their tickets and saw they said Level 3 and then in tiny writing ‘Balcony’. The door number looked to be the same, though... 

• Like 3