The Royal Ballet: Mayerling, Autumn 2018

1 hour ago, Mummykool said:

He certainly is John. He is also a wonderful actor and his attention detail is always meticulous. I absolutely love watching him.

I posted as soon as I came back from the live screening 'Wasn't James Hay perfect.'

he really was.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Saodan said:

I was wondering about the digital programmes as well. No mention of them during the insight event and none during the cinema relay. Also, the webpage that used to carry the digital programmes (http://roh.org.uk/publications) still exists, but is blank.

I guess this means they have discontinued them.

Apparently not; we were informed a while back that this was just a technical problem, albeit one taking a long time to solve - as I posted earlier on the "new ROH" thread:

Our apologies for the problem that you are experiencing in accessing our digital programmes. The difficulties were caused by an essential security update to our website, which has had unexpected technical consequences, resulting in the inability to display the content of the Digital Programmes.  Unfortunately, the issue is proving very challenging to fix but our Web Development Team expect to have the Digital Programmes re-instated by mid-November.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Apparently not; we were informed a while back that this was just a technical problem

Thanks for that Richard. I hope this is indeed the case. Perhaps it’s a problem with transferring everything to the new website design that is behind this and the issues with casting information.

Edited by Saodan

22 hours ago, JohnS said:

I thought James Hay’s Bratfisch one of the most moving portrayals of grief I’ve seen.  There’s much talk (quite rightly) of Matthew Ball, Cesar Corrales, Marcelino Sambé etc but James Hay really is a fine dancer.

I agree. The cinema relay really showed how fine an artist James Hay is. Beautiful dancing and great acting - well, 'being' rather than acting, I would say.

• Like 10

I've seen Thiago dance this role on many occasions now and he's always been the one who makes me feel sorry for Rudolf.  Last night was no exception and I felt it even more in his interpretation right from the start. Perhaps this is a result of seeing different Rudolf's very recently so there was a very definite contrast. That's what so marvellous about this ballet of course, each Rudolf gives us something completely different.

So, little things like - more emphasis on his need / love for his mother even in their first interactions and not so horrid to Stephanie in the brothel scenes.

Lauren Cuthbertson was superb as Mary and together they produced great theatre. They certainly had chemistry!  I felt Mary was much more in charge than Rudolf at the end and that felt right with the interpretation he had given.

Itziar also shone as Larisch - and how I wished we could see even more of those 4 Hungarian officers. They really went for it last night! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Very much enjoyed last night. Soares, Cuthbertson and Mendizabal were terrific, as was the rest of the cast and corps. The orchestra also received loud and deserved applause 

Totally agree. The corps were rather good in the second act. Some eye catching performances??

I don’t know how often he does it but my heart did skip several beats when Kevin O’Hare made his appearance on stage before the start.....expecting to hear that ‘due to circumstances beyond our control.....’ etc, thankfully it was just for appeal purposes 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Totally agree. The corps were rather good in the second act. Some eye catching performances??

Rather! I did spot some interesting moves when I momentarily looked away from Princess Stephanie’s disapproving face 😂

26 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Glad to hear that last night went so well. 

Did those of you  there  notice many empty seats? There seemed to be something like 400 still available yesterday morning.... 

I booked my ticket for last night at about 0130 on Saturday morning having just got back from Friday’s performance and was surprised how many empty seats were displayed as available in stalls and amphitheatre and that’s what persuaded me to try out a seat in the Stalls Circle. I did look at the back of the stalls last night specifically to see if there were empty seats and it didn’t look like there were that many 

Edited by Rob S

8 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I booked my ticket for last night at about 0130 on Saturday morning having just got back from Friday’s performance and was surprised how many empty seats were displayed as available in stalls and amphitheatre and that’s what persuaded me to try out a seat in the Stalls Circle. I did look at the back of the stalls last night specifically to see if there were empty seats and it didn’t look like there were that many 

I had a similar experience with  Acosta at the RAH recently... loads of empty seats showing on the website leading up to the performance, but on the night (although the RAH was not completely full), very many of the supposedly empty seats  had been taken. I don't understand how so many seats can be bought at the last minute. 

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

I've seen Thiago dance this role on many occasions now and he's always been the one who makes me feel sorry for Rudolf.  Last night was no exception and I felt it even more in his interpretation right from the start. Perhaps this is a result of seeing different Rudolf's very recently so there was a very definite contrast. That's what so marvellous about this ballet of course, each Rudolf gives us something completely different.

So, little things like - more emphasis on his need / love for his mother even in their first interactions and not so horrid to Stephanie in the brothel scenes.

Lauren Cuthbertson was superb as Mary and together they produced great theatre. They certainly had chemistry!  I felt Mary was much more in charge than Rudolf at the end and that felt right with the interpretation he had given.

Itziar also shone as Larisch - and how I wished we could see even more of those 4 Hungarian officers. They really went for it last night! 

I wished I could have seen Soares and Cuthbertson but occasionally I have to work unfortunately but I gladly read all the fantastic reviews. And I agree with you how interesting it is to see all the different interpretations of Rudolphs. It is a fascinating thing to watch how every dancer works with this character! Soares reading of Rudolph sound very interesting!

Who were the 4 Officers last night?

33 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Rather! I did spot some interesting moves when I momentarily looked away from Princess Stephanie’s disapproving face 😂

This...sounds interesting😂. The Corps de Ballet at RB (and not only them, a lot of the dancers at RB) are really great to make their own scenes. And some of them are so good that you could almost forget to watch the "main attraction", the actual ballet scene.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

. I don't understand how so many seats can be bought at the last minute. 

It must have been tickets sold to students as last minute standby tickets.  The amphitheatre had a much higher percentage of young people than normal.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

Now I’ve engaged brain, I’ve remembered the single seat next to me was empty and I’m very glad the ROH doesn’t have a policy of not allowing a single person to book a seat in such a position that will allow an isolated empty seat....unless they were desperate for bookings on Saturday morning

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Not got my cast sheet handy but the main man was Corrales, plus Ella and can’t remember the other two 

Thank you. I suspected that Jenny Taylor's plea for more was mainly down to Corrales but Ella  too as well as Clarke and Acri ............ terrific. Has Ella been on before?

8 minutes ago, capybara said:

Thank you. I suspected that Jenny Taylor's plea for more was mainly down to Corrales but Ella  too as well as Clarke and Acri ............ terrific. Has Ella been on before?

Actually, scrub that...I’ve got not idea why I keep calling Luca Acri Benjamin Ella....so the two  I remember were Corrales and Acri!

27 minutes ago, capybara said:

Who were they, please?

They were Cesar Corrales, Reece Clarke, William Bracewell, Luca Acri - I've seen the latter 3 every time I've been to a performance with Marcelino Sambe and Corrales alternating as 1st Officer. They were really into it last night - they get more and more swashbuckling in Act 2. 

Edited by JennyTaylor
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Clarke and Acri.

Oh so I was right to say Ella but for the wrong reason! 🤣

Edit....oh, I was wrong to say Ella for the right/wrong reason, and I can’t delete this post...I’ll get my coat

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

I don’t know how often he does it but my heart did skip several beats when Kevin O’Hare made his appearance on stage before the start.....expecting to hear that ‘due to circumstances beyond our control.....’ etc, thankfully it was just for appeal purposes 

Was it the remember us before you die speech?

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

It must have been tickets sold to students as last minute standby tickets.  The amphitheatre had a much higher percentage of young people than normal.

Thanks Bluebird. 

In fact I see now that the following appears on the ROH's website  ticket page:

Occasionally we are able to offer standby tickets four hours before a performance at half-price. These standby tickets are also available to those on Income Support, those in receipt of disability-related state benefits, ES40 holders, all ROH Access Members, under-18s, Westminster City Save Card, WC2 residents and Senior Citizens receiving Pension Credits at £12.50 for ballet and £15 for opera. Information about standby tickets is given within 24 hours of the performance. These tickets are offered at the management’s discretion. For information about their availability, phone the Box Office on +44 (0)20 7304 4000.

If you are a student, you can register with ROH Students, allowing you to take advantage of unsold tickets for Royal Ballet and Royal Opera productions at the bargain price of £10. 

So not just students, but anyone for half price and potentially even less  if you fall into one of the given categories. Worth knowing, for anyone able to react at short notice!

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

Poor Kevin....he must know that virtually every time he appears on the stage the audience are going to be inwardly groaning. 

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

Was it the remember us before you die speech?

No (that's usually just at rehearsals).  It's the annual theatreland appeal this week so he was saying there would be buckets at the doors as patrons exited the building (I believe £250,000 was raised by this appeal across all the participating theatres last year).

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:46, alison said:

That reminds me, I was hunting around on the ROH website for the cinecast cast sheet, but couldn't find it anywhere.  Or any sign of an electronic programme, if such still exist?

I could not find anything on the site when I looked and had to email via the website.  I was sent the pdf of the  Mayerling cinema cast sheet.  It is now on the site if you haven't found it already.

https://www.roh.org.uk/showings/mayerling-live-2018

Margaret

Edited by Margaret