Beginning to panic now!

Picturesinthefirelight

Dd starts college/Upper schoolin two weeks & still has nowhere to live!

The original intention was for her to commute but due to a change of circumstances this is no longer possible. We asked for a list of landladys with places still available but nothing has been forthcoming so far. 

She turns 17 in October - let’s hope she can pass her driving test quickly. 

It’s 46 miles which takes between 60-90 mins by car. However the first train doesn’t arrive until 8.45am & it’s then a 10-15 min taxi ride. 

My husband has spoken to school but who  are looking at what is still available but that was 2 weeks ago. There is a rule that under 18’s have to stay with a school approved landlord/lady so we can’t find our own digs. 

Dd has had a lot to contend with the last few months so I just want things sorted & on an even keel for her. 

Why don't you contact her friends who are staying with Landladies. They should still have the list and then ring them direct to see if they have any spaces or if they know of anyone who has. Alternatively, could they squeeze her in at the boarding house for a short time, whilst you sort it out?

15 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

My husband has spoken to school but who  are looking at what is still available but that was 2 weeks ago. There is a rule that under 18’s have to stay with a school approved landlord/lady so we can’t find our own digs. 

If they have that rule, then one would have expected them to be more organised about approving enough hosts!

Are we talking RBS here?

• Like 1

It’s not so much about them approving enough hosts but more that we are very last minute. I suspect that dh is a bit in denial & was hoping to be back on his feet & back to work by September. 

Basicslly what happened is that back in May he suffered what we thought were two mini strokes & he had to surrender his driving licence. We now know that they were not strokes & so brain tumours/meningeal deposits were investigated which were thankfully clear. 

However he is still very very dizzy, has hearing loss, confusion/brain fog & a loss of perception in judging distance. Lyme disease, Labyrinthitis & Menieres are now being investigated. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your husband’s ill health. Hope he is making a good recovery. 

There must be someone available from admin team available at this time of year. I would phone/email every contact you know asking for assistance. 

Good luck x

55 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

It’s not so much about them approving enough hosts but more that we are very last minute. I suspect that dh is a bit in denial & was hoping to be back on his feet & back to work by September. 

Basicslly what happened is that back in May he suffered what we thought were two mini strokes & he had to surrender his driving licence. We now know that they were not strokes & so brain tumours/meningeal deposits were investigated which were thankfully clear. 

However he is still very very dizzy, has hearing loss, confusion/brain fog & a loss of perception in judging distance. Lyme disease, Labyrinthitis & Menieres are now being investigated. 

Sorry to hear about your dh illness - my dh was rushed into hospital last year with a suspected stroke at age 42 after losing the ability to walk properly on one side, balance and slurring his speech - then having to undergo horrendous tests for a suspected brain tumour.   This has been ongoing now for a year - we are on holiday in Croatia now - but as soon as we get back he is in for a lumbar punture / dreading it - no mention of a diagnosis her from his neaulogist / I dread the hospital letters - just a suspected damage to cerebral / he did have a bad fall off his bike and waiting and see if stays the same or deteriorates / Lyme disease hasn’t been mentioned -  just a diagnosis and treatment plan would be a godsend ! As he is really struggling and still having falls.

I hope your dd gets sorted out - She must be worried about her dad xxx

Edited by Snowflake
Spelling

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this too Snowflake.  Yes, the brain tumour scans were awful.  A lot of what you describe sounds very familiar. It all happened right in the middle of dd's GCSE's too.

The thing that upsets dh most is the loss of hearing/tinnitus.  As a vocal coach its not only his livlihood but his passion.

• Like 2

Yes - it must be heartbreaking for you all   - it’s so hard watching someone you love suffering what should still be their younger years  - I hope there is something they can do to relieve your husbands hearing symptoms when he gets a diagnosis  💕

I'm sorry to hear it is still ongoing with your husband and must be so unsettling for you all. The school should be able to email you the standard list of accommodation so that you can phone around and explain your circumstances.  I would expect you could get it off any of DDs friends that are staying onto into upper school too.  Its not a nice situation to be in I know, but if it offers any consolation I do know that they have managed to sort out last minute in previous years - people changing their minds or in one case a landlady falling ill less than a week before term started and having to cancel all her places. Also sending a pm

Thank you.

Dd's best friend who is staying on I don't think was ever sent the list as they dropped on very lucky at the beginning of the process and she is staying with two lovely members of staff.  Another friend lives locally and I'm not sure who else she is in contact with. 

I think we were all hoping that dh would be on the way to recovery by now and back driving.

I think staff often offer student accommodation at many schools/colleges.

Anitger thought..... could any day pupils offer accommodation as a host family - even if only as a temp measure. Am sure many have spare rooms & additional income for lodging might be welcome by some....

Perhaps the school could send an email out to day pupil families with a request for anyone who might be able to help shirt/long term.

I echo others best wishes for speedy recoveries to your DH’s, pictures & snowflake xx

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this news. I hope your husband's health improves soon.

Would it be worth asking the school if they could squeeze your DD into the boarding house, even if just for a few weeks to buy you a bit of time? You would think that under the circumstances they would be a bit more supportive. Hopefully it's only a short term problem and things return to normal soon.