Help with Funding

AliceK

First time posting!  Long time reader... 

My DD is at a full time vocational school and her funding (that was paid by a relative) is no longer available.  Unfortunately said relative has decided to change their mind a year into her course. 

We are in an awful predicament, I’ve just changed jobs after being self employed for six years so no loan or credit card company will look at me. 

Does anyone have any ideas or help.  I’ll be calling the school too to beg... 

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Like 2

Hello Alice and welcome.  What an awful situation for you!  Do you mind me asking if it's lower or upper school? Is it a school where any Government funding is available, or failing that, any scholarships/bursaries available? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Hello Alice and welcome.  What an awful situation for you!  Do you mind me asking if it's lower or upper school? Is it a school where any Government funding is available, or failing that, any scholarships/bursaries available? 

Hi

Its upper school and no government funding.  She already receives a 10% scholarship. 

29 minutes ago, AliceK said:

First time posting!  Long time reader... 

My DD is at a full time vocational school and her funding (that was paid by a relative) is no longer available.  Unfortunately said relative has decided to change their mind a year into her course. 

We are in an awful predicament, I’ve just changed jobs after being self employed for six years so no loan or credit card company will look at me. 

Does anyone have any ideas or help.  I’ll be calling the school too to beg... 

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Hi AlicK, 

I've just sent you a PM. 😊

It must be devastating for your DD Alice, after almost certainly being on such a high only a matter of months ago. I know quite a few dancers who were offered places at certain US's, who's parents just couldn't afford the costs involved without funding. They all gained places at other schools though, with various types of funding, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to switch schools in the second year though, maybe someone on the forum could advise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vonrothbart said:

It must be devastating for your DD Alice, after almost certainly being on such a high only a matter of months ago. I know quite a few dancers who were offered places at certain US's, who's parents just couldn't afford the costs involved without funding. They all gained places at other schools though, with various types of funding, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to switch schools in the second year though, maybe someone on the forum could advise.

For me, yes at the moment.  DD is unaware of what is going on and it will stay that way unless it’s absolutely necessary to tell her.  The forum is a wealth of knowledge!! 👌🏻👌🏻

• Like 1

I do hope the school can help.  Are fees payable monthly, or upfront?

Are there any other schools within travelling distance who might do a private audition at this stage?  It's highly unlikely that "big" schools would, but privately owned schools like Ballet West, KS Dance or Chantry *might* see her.  

How horrid for you all. I do think it’s worth talking to school as I am aware of someone else in a similar situation some time ago and school were very supportive to allow her to stay. There are also some charities and funding pots for families in certain occupations, which I think will be detailed somewhere on the forum as there have been many threads about funding sources over the years. Good luck. 🤞

Hi 

If you are prepared to swap schools you could consider applying to one of the European schools instead. Our DD is not eligible on income for any financial support in UK but she has a full scholarship for her new school (she is in 6.2, having spent a year in the States last year) and there are no tuition fees whatsoever or any means testing. She has to do a few academic lessons (history of dance and music etc) and is learning German. Term has started already for the current year in some schools in Europe though- I'm not sure if that would be an issue or if late places come up.

On 25/08/2018 at 09:51, invisiblecircus said:

Is it a ballet school or musical theatre course she's doing? Not that it makes much difference when it comes to finding funding but it changes what other options are available.

Ballet school x 

• Like 1