Cranko - Romeo & Juliet - Stuttgart - 1962 - full recording

The 1962 recording of John Cranko's production for the Stuttgart Ballet Company has just become available online. I won't link to it here but it is (at present) easily found by searching YouTube for "Romeo et Juliet, Stuttgart Ballet, Cranko, Complete".

• Like 2

(Too late to correct my typo so am reposting, admins feel free to adjust accordingly)

The 1973 recording of John Cranko's 1962 production for the Stuttgart Ballet Company has just become available online. I won't link to it here but it is (at present) easily found by searching YouTube for "Romeo et Juliet, Stuttgart Ballet, Cranko, Complete".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sebastian said:

The 1962 recording of John Cranko's production for the Stuttgart Ballet Company has just become available online. I won't link to it here but it is (at present) easily found by searching YouTube for "Romeo et Juliet, Stuttgart Ballet, Cranko, Complete".

Thanks for this. Have just watched it with great interest and enjoyment. I'm not sure that it is complete; there seem to be parts missing, don't know if this was Cranko or the tv version, but all the main scenes are there. Haydee and Cragun  are , to me, wondrous, both looking far too old to be teenage lovers, but who cares when you see dancing of that quality? 

• Like 1

Sebastian,

Thanks for bringing this up. Since you posted it , I've spent time looking at the performance - really enjoyable and very well photographed. I've always liked the Cranko version of R&J since I first saw it in the 70s. At the time, I had only seen the Macmillan and Lavrovsky versions and I remember how amazed I was at the amount of "inspiration" Macmillan drew from it for his version at Covent Garden.

The performance was enjoyable with some inimitable Cranko choreography, particularly for the men and it's a reminder of what ballet perhaps suffered with his premature death. Thanks again for bringing it to everyone's attention. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I'm not sure that it is complete; there seem to be parts missing, don't know if this was Cranko or the tv version, but all the main scenes are there.

Just to be clear, there is a copy of the 1973 recording which has been up on YouTube since April 2017 but this says it is 1hour 44 minutes long. Whereas the copy I was trying to point to only went up last week - and says it is 2 hours 7 minutes long and "complete" (which is why I recommended using that word when searching). I know no more.

If you refer to the version with Elisa Badenes and David Moore in the lead roles, this recording is from 2017.

It is the version that was shown in cinemas in Germany in July and on Arte last Sunday (see Angela's posts), and it is available there (for those with access to Arte) for another few weeks.

Thanks everyone for clearing up the serial muddles I unintentionally introduced into this thread (all would have been clear if I had simply posted the two different links but that is probably not allowed). In any case I hope this at least provides people with some interesting viewing.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Thanks everyone for clearing up the serial muddles I unintentionally introduced into this thread (all would have been clear if I had simply posted the two different links but that is probably not allowed). In any case I hope this at least provides people with some interesting viewing.

Delighted to have the chance to see both versions and wish more serial muddles produced such good results!

• Like 2