Tutugirl's summer school

ponklemum

This summer my dd (age 10) attended tutgirls summer school for the first time so I thought I'd write something about mine/dd's experience of the course.. The summer school was 13 days long and dd stayed with a host family who also had children attending the course.  I was put in touch with the family a few weeks before the course started and the family phoned me, gave me as much information as they could and made sure they answered any questions I had.  

Once I arrived at the venue,  dd was immediately introduced to the children/family she would be staying with and that was the last I saw of dd - she barely even gave me a goodbye.  I barely heard off her for the entire duration of the summer school other than texting me to say she was having a fabulous time,  

On the first saturday there was a little show (which unfortunately i was unable to attend) but I was told by other parents it was brilliant.  I did however manage to see the final show of the course and what can I say.  It was absolutely amazing - it was a 2 act swan lake and what the children achieved was amazing.  I would never have thought so much could be achieved in the time they had.  

After coming home, dd is still taking about the course and telling me what they did.  She said they were in 10-5 (apart from the middle Sunday which was their day off). The first week she did ballet, jazz, tap and stretch classes and she even sang in the first show.  The second week she did ballet and got to experience Polonaise and Czardas too.  

Dd has been to a few different courses and summer school and this one is her favourite by far - she has already decided she wants to go back next year.  

From a parents point of view I can say that my dd was the happiest she's been whilst away, she wasn't too tired as staying with a family ensured she rested and went to bed at a reasonable time.  I had to travel quite a distance to get there and I will happily travel that distance every year. In fact, next year my ds (8) wants to go.  

I can highly recommend this course.

• Like 6

Thank you ponklemum , for this lovely review .

It has been a fabulous fortnight .

Wonderful to work with non vocational students , along with those from Elmhurst, Tring, Hammond and Moorlands .

The show lasted over an hour and a half , so every child was well showcased .

This afforded  a rare opportunity to vocational parents , to see their child perform on stage for a good length of time .

The senior group tackled all the swan repertoire beautifully .

Their corps de ballet work was amazing .

Soloists cut no corners and the audience gave a standing ovation after the pas de deux which included 32 fouettés en pointe.

The fortnight included daily classes in ballet , plus ,pas de deux or rep  and optional jazz and tap .

Two masterclasses from Northern Ballet guest teachers proved popular with all the students .

Friday night was pizza and games night , much fun had by all .

I was deeply touched that everyone seems to want to return next year .

dates and ballet to be confirmed - but considering Don Quixote or Sleeping Beauty .

Enjoy the rest of your summer everyone x

• Like 2

My DD also attended for the first time and I’m sure it won’t be the last!

The standard of teaching was exceptional and Homestay worked perfectly.  

The final show was wonderful but the icing on the cake was the friendly atmosphere, from students to faculty everyone was lovely.  I had no worries at all for the whole two weeks as I felt that DD was in such safe hands.

Thank you tutugirl, see you next year 😀