Which Role Would You Dance?

I'm not a dancer, nowhere near it unless there's free flowing wine and a disco playlist; however, I was listening to the music from Sleeping Beauty earlier and thought how fun it would be to dance the role of Carabosse. This led me to thinking of other roles I would love to dance, if I were a ballerina, and thought this would be a fun topic to discuss! 

So assuming we are all talented, capable and technically wonderful ballet dancers - if you could dance any role in ballet's repertoire which would it be and why?

• Like 3

I've always wanted to dance Odette's second act 2 solo, Ashton's Aurora vision scene solo, and Nikiya's first act 1 solo in particular, they look particularly beautiful, and Myrthe's dances in act 2 Giselle, so strong and exhilarating. My two favourite heroines are Giselle and Nikiya.

• Like 1

I honestly think that no one deserves to see me dance ballet. Though maybe it could be deployed as as cruel and unusual punishment for persistently misbehaving audience members, in which case I would appear as one of the strange creatures from Firebird, sit on stage for 4 hours to a severely amplified soundtrack of me eating crisps and scraping my nails on a blackboard every so often.

• Like 10

In browsing the list of programmes, I found myself drawn to specific emotions that the various works elicit from me e.g.,

For serenity - any role in Ashton's Monotones I/II

For fun - the Joker in Cranko's Jeu de Cartes

To honour the preciousness of nature - any of the extinct species in Bintley's Still Life at the Penguin Cafe

As embodiment of humanity and friendship - either role in the PDD in the 3rd part of Bejart's 9th Symphony

To dance myself towards ecstasy - any of the larger roles in Bejart's Bolero

Edited by Duck
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I think I’d go for the women who die or really suffer: Mary Vetsera, Manon, Marguerite and Tatiana in particular. 

But I’m with TothePointe on the baddies as well.

I would pick those roles too, capybara. I would also like to dance Act 2 in Swan Lake. Those fouettés are something else!

In a totally fantastical world .... I would dance the male role in Rubies as it encapsulates wit .... but - pushing the boat out even further - (and blurring the gender boundaries - which surely don't matter whatsoever in fantasy - which I realise will disturb at least one member hereabouts for which I apologise in advance)  - I would want to do the female principal role in Diamonds as that PDD - that GLORY of a PDD - is the very soul of humane yearning .... or have the chance to ravish the walking girl's solo in Emeralds.  Jewels is, simply, a masterpiece of/for balletic time.  It not only celebrates - but cherishes - humankind.   Otherwise I would long to have a stab at either of the leading roles - oh, so heartfelt in their wonderful weave of petit allegro  - in Ashton's brilliantly detailed observance - A Month in the Country.  So rich; so full.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

Many of the roles above, plus:

For glamour: The hostess in Les Biches

For evil: Black Queen in Checkmate/Siren in Prodigal Son

For pathos: Julia in A Wedding Bouquet (for being drunk, yet loveable, I'd like to be Josephine from the same ballet)

For temperament and sparkle: Raymonda's Act 3 variation

For being revered: The High Brahmin in La Bayadere 

For 'having a good time': Mitzi Caspar in Mayerling

For defying gravity: Bluebird (just watch Soloviev on YouTube - best live performance I have seen is Marcelino Sambé)

For watching classical ballet close-up: King or Queen in Sleeping Beauty - preferably with a cushion.

Natalya in Month in the Country - would love to waft around in those beautiful white dresses and bourree across the stage in the arms of a handsome tutor!! Would also love to experience the beautiful lift at the end of the Rhapsody pas de deux but suspect I would need a prop forward from the All Blacks rugby team to be my partner!  Fantasies over now - back to reality!

• Like 9

Myself as dancer is utterly unthinkable, except ... A couple of years ago, Queensland Ballet did Christopher Bruce's Ghost Dances. I was stunned. I remember oh, so clearly, the Chilean refugees who arrived, traumatised and shell-shocked in Australia in the 70s. Bruce's work caught their terror and their resolution, but also their love of life. So watching Ghost Dances represents the one and only time that I have felt a huge serge of desire. I want to dance this. Role? Whatever, except not the ghost dancers.

• Like 2

I would love to dance the beautiful Nocturne from ‘Les Sylphides’.  I saw this performed as a young child and thought it was just magical with the Chopin music, the moonlit woodland setting and the corps de ballet poised like ethereal white statues around the stage.  

The other title/leading roles would be, 

Juliet ‘Romeo and Juliet’ - rebellious and tragic💔

the Firebird from ‘Firebird’ - exotic and mysterious🔥

‘Manon’ - romance, trickery and tragedy 💋💍

‘Cinderella’ - the fairytale transformation and to make that ballroom entrance sur les pointes down the staircase 🌟

’Giselle’ - betrayal, tragedy and forgiveness 😢😘

’Sylvia’ - that Pizzicato variation would be tricky though🏹

’Pineapple Poll’ 😃 just fun!

and last but not least, and just to make that spectacular run and dive into my partner’s arms, the Bolshoi’s ‘Spring Waters’ pas de deux.....phew

Which partner/partners would we dance with though?  

Edited by Springbourne3
  • Like 3

Great topic, TTP!  Hmmm.....I think Manon, Giselle, Myrtha, O/O, Tatiana, Juliet (MacMillan), Natalia Petrovna, any of the female roles in Symphony in C, Carabosse, Lise.  There are others, but these are the main ones and represent most of my favourite female roles in the ballet repertoire.  I think that between them they represent the human condition in its good and bad modes, and that is challenging to convey, especially without words.  Symphony in C is simply loads of fun, and that too is part of the human condition...if we are lucky.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Springbourne3 said:

and last but not least, and just to make that spectacular run and dive into my partner’s arms, the Bolshoi’s ‘Spring Waters’ pas de deux.....phew

Being unfamiliar with this ballet, the mental image I now have is of "that" lift in Dirty Dancing!

• Like 2

I think it's really interesting how few people have chosen pure dancing roles - for me, given the technique and physique to dance just one role, I wouldn't want to waste one second on acting or mime - I'd hope to find that rare moment that dancers sometimes talk about as the peak of their experience, when everything clicks and there's nothing but you and the music -  and maybe a perfectly-attuned partner, to help you fly. I'd go for the Waltz in Serenade.

• Like 4

Now partners adds a new level to the mix! I think it would be incredible to experience the passion and tragedy in the final scenes of Onegin with a wonderful partner. It would also be wonderful to experience the thrill of putting all of your trust in a partner especially for really difficult lifts and choreography.

I think Rhapsody would be wonderful to dance with a partner you shared chemistry and trust with as that choreography is so special.

But to be honest there are a few dancers I would be happy partnering me even if it was just to literally walk onto the stage! It must have been so incredible to have shared the stage with dancers like Nureyev or Baryshnikov let alone be partnered by them!

• Like 4

I’d love to have a go at Symphonic Variations - a killer but such dance heaven! Ideally the ‘side man’ role who does the ‘look at the sky’ pirouettes; I’m not sure if it was Brian Shaw or Henry Danton who originated this part. Perhaps Monotones. Or Dutiful Ducks by Richard Alston, possibly so I can pretend to be as good as Michael Clark (if only!) 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RuthE said:

Being unfamiliar with this ballet, the mental image I now have is of "that" lift in Dirty Dancing!

😂😀 here is the complete Bolshoi ‘Spring Waters’ pas de deux with Bylova and Nikonov 💖 enjoy 

Edited by Springbourne3
  • Like 7

I'm for the slow movement in Concerto too ....love love love!

For a complete main role in a ballet probably Lise in Fille ...or Coppelia...for a bit of comedy and fun.

For odd bits

final pas de deux from Two Pigeons

Any of the girls parts  in Dances at a gathering

Natalya, the young girl or the maid in the Month in the Country.....especially if Corrales is playing the tutor!!

Isadora's dances by Ashton

The real in my dreams though ....because haven't got in any way the bendy body for it ...would be Nikiya role in Bayadere....the bit where she dies etc ....nice and emotive!

I would also like to do the male role in Le Corsaire....I just want to run onto the stage like that ( would be Nureyev in my dreams)!! 

Im sure I will think of other bits but haven't got much access to wifi at the moment so hope thread hasn't finished before get back to it. Am doing a summer school and we are learning a bit from Coppelia's solo which is lovely but how do they do those retirees SO fast .....amazing and all respect to the professionals who dance these roles so wonderfully!! 

Already remembered a ballet would just love to dance in ....any role but perhaps the opening number ( another male part!) and that is Ramberts Red Rooster....or is it just Rooster! Anyway all Stones numbers! Every time I see it I just want to go up on the stage with them! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2